Sunday, February 19, 2017

Mag kicks the trimmer

Today Mag's favorite person in the world came to visit, the trimmer. She loves him so much, hugging and kissing him in the nose and calling him "little mouse-bear." She hadn't seen him in a while so she was especially loving today and took forever to greet him.

While trimming him he would rest his nose on her back and she kept up a near constant stream of baby-talk with him, telling him how wonderful he is.

Then she got to his most special left hind and without warning, he kicked out. He just barely missed her head, and instead kicked the hoof bock, and all her tools, into the air. There was a group of people standing 20 feet away and the tools landed near them. The trimmer jumped up, terrified, and asked me what the heck. I said, "This is the 3rd time and there never is any warning, and I have no idea what the cause is."

Her face turned bright red and for the very first time she scolded him, but quickly returned to loving on him and comforting him, but she was very cautious around his hind end. Someone brought over the hoof rasp that had flown across the barnyard.

I was in a state of shock, nearly speechless, I almost saw my trimmer get seriously hurt, and I wonder what on earth to do about this.

Then she cuddled him again and when he got a little too mouthy with her she put her hands, both of them, into his mouth. Excellent, that is what I do with mouthiness too. "The interior of your mouth belongs to me, horse."

This elderly couple appeared with their grandson to visit a boarder, I think, and they stood there in front of Mag. The old man reached out his hand and I thought he was going to pet Mag and I thought, how safe they think they are around these danger-hooves. Then I realized he was holding up his hand to see if the trimmer would trim his nails. She complied and literally took her rasp to them, haha, very cute.

He asked about the horse and she said, "This is a very, very fine Arabian horse, a great example of his breed." Hm, she's really not mad at him at all for almost knocking her head off.

Then Christina came over and asked if I need to continue using her trailer and I said I'm ready for her to help me shut the door and then take a ride eventually. My trimmer and Christina got to talking about hoof boots etc etc etc...it seemed my trimmer was having fun socializing at a big barn. They talked about owners who trim their own hooves and she pointed to me and said, "She does a great job trimming her own horse!" I was flattered and said, "But I needed you 6 times in 2 months this summer!" "Yes, because of the hollow wall episode."

Then she wanted to see him move so we took him to the indoor and after he rolled his requisite 5 times, we got him moving around but he wasn't motivated and was his lazy self. She kept saying how great his legs are, and his joints and pasterns, and his hooves are looking pretty good too.

I said, "I don't feel like doing anything with him today." She said, "You don't have to ride every day." I said, "No, but every day here costs money, and it adds up to a lot of money. Is XXX a lot of money?" She said, "For this Pissbarn? Yes!" I laughed, "Yah, for that amount of money, I'd hope the place would be pretty." Then she said how there's a lady vet here who is a real bitch, and I said, "Yes, she is the one who told me I need to run my horse an hour every day to wear him out so he won't spook. And how I wasn't doing right by my horse." Hm, funny that my trimmer brought up that person!

She said that Arabians are rare enough in Germany that not many people understand them, and that is a problem. Also that there is a sort of racism against Arabians. I said, "Well, I had two trainers who quit on me last year and the only reason I can guess is that they didn't understand Arabians. But, um, I'm racist too." She said, "Right, you dislike every other breed in the world." *lol*

I told her I'll be wearing a helmet just to clean his hind hooves. She said, "You should use a motorcycle helmet." *sigh*

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and feel like riding. Hopefully Nina will be there to help me with the Leitstute. I told her even a 20 minute outing would be enough. But she doesn't want to ride in the rain, so we'll see.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh no. Glad he didn't hit her but that's scary having a random kicker

Camryn said...

Scary! Glad the incident didn't turn her off Mags. Being a horse person, I'm sure she understands. Don't recall of Mags has ever been seen by a Chiroprator? I recall Camryn becoming iffy regarding her left hind, didn't wish to give it at all. Trimmer suggested some Chiro work which worked immensely. She was out in her pelvis and several other areas as well.

TeresaA said...

is it always that leg that he gets reactive with? If so there might be something physical about it.

When I first got Carmen she had a thing about lifting and holding her right hind. She never kicked but would pull it out quite aggressively. It took a lot of time working on holding it for increasing time. She has improved quite a bit but I am more wary when I'm cleaning it.

AareneX said...

Definitely check for some soreness, but also follow up with a LOT of practice with all the feet. Are there other people who can pick up his feet also, until he gets so bored that he gives up? The stall cleaning guy, maybe?

Cricket said...

That might be the leg they tied up to geld him. I agree that it might be a good thing to have a chiro check for adjustment.

lytha said...

You all have such great advice, I thank you.

Aarene, I know, but I am not going to put other people at risk, that is why I don't have a lease rider, even when today, a teenager showed up asking if her friend can please lease a horse here. It would be great to have someone else to ride Mag regularly, but not a kid. In fact, my trimmer had just told me yesterday, how she couldn't manage training her young horse alone and got herself a kid who leased, and proved to her how well behaved her young horse could be. My trimmer said, "The kid is young enough to not feel mortal, so she just had fun with my horse, which I observed and learned from."

I would not ask Willy to pick up Mag's leg because I do want to put him at risk, even if he has a deeper relationship with my horse at this point than I do.

A lease would be nice, but that means finding someone I have trust in. How?

KB, Check! I'll get my chiro lady out ASAP.