Sunday, February 26, 2017

Mag does not panic

There are things Mag is good at that are inexplicable to me. Tying. Bathing. Clipping. OK that's it, he's pretty bad about his hind end as you know *tries to laugh about it*.

But today he proved he is even better than I thought, at tying.

Even after one year and 31 days I do not totally trust him tied. So I use a flimsy leather halter. A halter that the lead snap ring was torn off when Mara got her rope under a tie rail and felt trapped. I have a crappy looking screw-in ring in its place, to make the halter functionable even to this day.

It was such a nice halter....

Anyway, I hate tying Mag to the wall by the way-too-low tie rings at this barn. As I have said before they are pony height, not horse height. You really should tie horses higher than that.

On busy days at the barn like today I cannot let Mag run loose in the grooming stall because too many horses are tied to the panels and he might get them into trouble. So I tied him and put his bucket under the ring. I hate doing that. It doesn't seem safe.

For one moment I saw the possibility of him getting his lead rope behind his ears and raising his head and panicking. And I remember thinking, "Let it happen." (HUH?)

Literally less than a minute later that very thing happened, he got his rope behind his ears and tried to raise his head and failed. He was trapped.

I took a step away, for safety.

He surprised me by immediately trying to turn a circle, what he'd do back home if the rope was on the wrong side of his face. It didn't work, the rope was too short and low. I took another step away for safety.

He stopped. He was trapped but he stopped moving. He stood there looking at me. Omygosh you're gonna let me help you out of this? I walked up to him and said very quietly "ho Mag" and unclipped the lead. He put his head into his bucket, that was it.

Wow. Baasha would have torn that thing apart. Wall, lead rope, halter, whatever. Most horses would have. He was in the most vulnerable position with pressure right where the lions like to make their kill bite.

I was so happy with him. I said, "You are a very good horse."

Then I decided not to ever tie him low while he's eating from a bucket on the ground.

***

Everyone was there today but no one was really talking to me. No big deal, but I felt a little sad because I hoped that someone would offer to help me but no. Marin had via email, but apparently I was too early or she just didn't show today as planned. She asked me to take more pics of her and her buckskin pinto horse Chinook, and I offered to also take video. I charged up my camera battery and was sad when she never showed. Oh well.

I lunged Mag a bit over cavaletti and he kept looking at the door at what was going on out there. I knew if I was going to ride, it would not be in the indoor, since I was alone and he was so distracted. So we moved to the outdoor, also empty. Everyone was saddling up and heading for the hills, leaving me behind.

But there were enough people around cleaning paddocks and stalls, that I felt good about getting on. We did our normal routine and his trot was very sticky today but I got it eventually and our ride time was probably 15 minutes but I was happy so that was enough.

Everyone came back from their trail rides and I was kind of envious but Nina promised me she'll take me out again with the Leitstute tomorrow afternoon. Woo! I have that to look forward to.

And I cornered Bettina  and her husband and said, "Would you let me ride out with you next week? Can your horse walk? "

"Yes, Alexej can walk."

"Can YOU walk?"

"Yes." : ) Alexej is the big bay giant with no manners (who you've seen photos of on this blog) but I trust Bettina and think she can help me more that most - she is the most experienced rider in the barn. Ex-endurance rider like myself.

So I have two trail-ride dates and should be very thankful.

I just want more.

I have one month.



This is how high our tie is at home. I'm actually able to tie the donkey up here too, even though she has less movement.



It has the safety of the high-tie systems. The horse cannot put its head under a tie rail and cause disaster. And Mag showed me almost immediately that he is fine with this system even if it gets over his ears and he gets "stuck" with the rope on the wrong side of his face. He very carefully moved in a circle to free himself as I watched, amazed. It was tight, his butt up against that wall, but he did it, and did it again and again over time.  What do they do in Poland to teach colts to tie so well? I've seen photos, they all stand tied with chains to a wall to eat, I guess that does it.



Photo from July when I tied Mag overhead for the first time to the walnut tree. As you can see the rope is on the "wrong" side of his face.



But he knows, somehow, to turn a circle and free himself from the discomfort of the rope behind his ears.



Here he is beginning the turn.





Here is the scenario from today. I had him tied with my black lead line that is over his back in this photo, so he could reach the bucket, but there was no room for him to free himself.




And now for a tribute....... the pretty leather halter shown here  is not such a pretty thing anymore. Apparently someone let a horse chew on it, and it's chewed up. It cost me 35Euros, the most I've ever spent on a halter. It was probably Mag who chewed it up somehow but oh well. I sure enjoyed that pretty leather halter the last few years. I'm going to keep using it over the next month at this barn, because they hang it out in the snow and rain next to his paddock every day. It has taken some real abuse, as well as the lead rope. Both will be thrown in the trash when Mag comes home again. Halters and lead ropes are not meant to hang from a fence post all Winter long. My favorite Hamilton halter is hanging on my coat rack, waiting to be used again. I didn't want that one sacrificed to the clutches of Winter. But now I really like leather halters too........: )

5 comments:

TeresaA said...

What a clever horse he is! Irish would have lost his mind. I think Carmen might have been okay- she's been fine when she's stepped on the lead line.

Why not teach Mags to ground tie? i bet he'd figure it out pretty quickly. Well I wouldn't go a long distance I can ground tie Carmen in the aisle while I clean her stall and she won't move. Even with the hay near by (she will look at it and sigh dramatically).

Could you have tagged along with the group? Maybe they think that you don't want to go? From your blog it seems that the German people tend to be pretty direct- which means they might not have realized you wanted to go. I also bet that you could trot Mags out on the trail now as long as the other horses are not crazy. :) you have one more month so go for it.

ellie k said...

Do you think Mag has had some harsh treatment or correction around that area and still remembers it when someone gets near her back legs?
Mag has turned into a really pretty horse and come a long way in the past year. Baby steps and then a great horse.

AareneX said...

This is awesome. Except the part where people left and you stayed behind :-(

Next time, ASK!

lytha said...

Teresa, I have taught him it a little. but not, completely. My grooming area at home is not large enough for him to move, so it's easy to just not tie him. So I'm lazy *hangs head*.

Tagging along is always in my mind! I just don't know who would accept it. You are right about the Germans needing direct communication. I just don't know how to separate those I might ride with from those I might DIE with.

Ellie, Interesting. I kind of doubt harsh treatment cuz he's non-reactive in all other ways. And cuz he's so good in ways that make most horses feel trapped. Baby steps as you say! I appreciate it.


Nicole A said...

I love Mag. <3 <3 <3