Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Cancellation day

Willy stood at Mag's head rubbing on him, speaking Polish to him. Mag enjoyed it fully, "You're my favorite person in Wuppertal." He told me he might retire soon and go back to his homeland. I said I was planning to be out of here by 2021. He said, “You won't leave Mag behind?” I said, “No, I plan on flying with him.” He said, “Does your horse know American English?” “Yes he does. He's trilingual.” "Will your husband be able to teach..." No, not really. It would not be easy. I'm in speculation still, rather than reality. Willy is a sounding board for my dreams.

I was at the barn from 10:30 til 2 PM and only one lady showed up, I don't know her name but she owns the other Haflinger and I've never seen her to anything with him besides prepare his supplements. Today she greeted me and I told her I just gave my notice. She stopped, “Oh, that's too bad, because your horse is so lovely and you are so nice!” I told her in the month of March I will see her more often because I plan to be there in the afternoons so that I'm not alone as often.

That means I have to get up before dawn and drive J to carpool locations and then come home and wait around until going to the barn when the barn should be busy. I dread busy barn time but it's critical that I get as much riding in as possible.

That is why it sucks what Gabi said. I asked her if she got my cancellation letter. Yes. I asked her if she'd take me out riding again and let Mag practice leading. She said yes, Thursday. I told her my chiropractor is coming that morning and she said, “Well, you cannot ride for 3 or 4 days after a chiro adjustment!” Um, oh, really? I didn't know that. We'll see what the chiropractor says, and see if she has to make adjustments. In any case Gabi said I could walk Mag with her because he'll need lots of walking only afterwards. No lunging, even. Hm!

The wind was blowing the sides of the arena as I did in-hand work with Mag. I'm still not very good at going to the right, coordinating my rein hand and my whip hand, but I'm getting better. Sure enough, he dropped so I was able to clean him again with warm oil/water. If it's warm, he really doesn't mind. I will have the vet out soon for a real cleaning because I'm curious why it's always making appearances. Also it's been a year since Mag has had his teeth looked at. I just got up from typing this and made an appointment for next week. That's Tuesday. I enjoyed how the vet office knew exactly where I was talking about on the phone when I told them my horse is not here with us. Oh yes, we know that barn, no problem!

The wind was blowing hard, so I decided it would be a great day for a walk in the woods. I wanted to take him to the trail that caused him so much anxiety with Argo when Mag was leading the way. It's also great practice for him because it's the most torn up trail around, rutted with large rocks and sections where ages ago someone laid down bricks as footing, but now the bricks are more hazards than help. I was almost running down that technical trail with Mag hurrying behind me.

I saw a tiny side trail and followed it for a while but we had to stop when blackberry brambles and a barbed wire fence closed in around us. OK back up, let's get outta here.

We went down to that bench that freaked Mag out last time and I sat down. Mag chewed on the bench and I said, “Good boy, write your name with your teeth, we won't be in Wuppertal much longer.” I dragged out a huge oak branch for him to play with as I sat there, and let him walk circles around the bench. Mag knows that when I sit down it's playtime, he can do whatever he likes.

Finally we headed back, but I was on the lookout for proper trees to practice tying him to, or, fake tying. I found one and wrapped his rope around a branch and backed off the length of my NH rope, which is long enough for me to get a good ways away. He, as always, discovered he was tied, and didn't fuss or move at all. It's almost disappointing because I am ready for him to fidget but he doesn't. We're definitely ready for the next step, trying him for real with the leather halter and a backup underneath if he rips it up.

As we stood there together we heard a horse's snort and Mag was very pleased to see a strange horse approaching us. He was frozen solid but I made sure to move a little bit so the horse wouldn't feel threatened, because I'm sure we were a new thing for him in the woods. I said hello to the rider and then, “What a good horse, super!” and she smiled. Her chestnut with chrome puffed up the hill and she urged him into a trot.

I said, “Mag, let's follow them covertly!” One of my favorite games. But they were out of there, and I do not run up hills. Oh well, I'll teach Mag the sneaking game another time. The game is this - we follow quietly and as far behind as necessary that no one notices. If the horse we are following tilts an ear back, hearing us, we lose. And we quit and try again another day. It's soooo fun, something I used to do with Baasha. Something I never did in America cuz who would I be following? There was never anyone out there.

At the top of the hill, the wind was thrashing all the scary things that live up there. Those plastic silage bales, the water trailer, a bathtub, and a big trailer with a tarp over it that was torn to shreds, each shred lashing around in the wind noisily. Mag was disturbed even though I was in front of him. I saw him become worried and stopped him right next to the first scary item – bathtub – and let him look for a while. Then I took him to the wild tarp trailer and he was even less comfortable. But he trusts me so he stood beside it. If I moved off, he'd throw his tail over his back and trot to “escape” so I asked him to move away one step at a time, with long breaks in between. I was between him and the trailer, protecting him, but he had to go my pace to get by it. He's not really scared of it, afterall, it's just very exciting on a windy day.

He kept asking me for the treats in my pocket (he loves the new treats I bought) but I kept telling him if he asks, he doesn't get one.

He got a lot of treats today, but not by pestering me for them.

I felt so torn putting that notice in Gabi's mailbox today. I'd love to have more time. Oh well, I will do my best to get out as often as possible.

And just enjoy the facilities.




4 comments:

Camryn said...

I think you'll have a harder time leaving than Mags will. Bellis will be so thrilled to see him and have more time with you.

lytha said...

Camryn, Mag will come home, love on his donkey, and then realize, "HA, there is NO POSSIBILITY of LUNGING here, NONE!!!! HA!"

AareneX said...

I hope you left the "door" open so that you can return in the future if you want? This little hiatus has been so good for both of you!

My chiro usually says to give the horse the day off after a morning adjustment. If there's a LOT of adjusting, I usually give the next day off also (but that works for my schedule, because I only have 2 or 3 days each week to do horse things, and the other days I have to work!)

Cricket said...

My vet says 48 hours off after chiro/accupuncture. The day of and the next day, so I start work again the day after that (we do our appts on Saturday, so he goes back to work on Monday).