Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Saddle pressure test image

Fascinating...but not illuminating.


Hm, which is left and which is right?  And is the top of the image the front of the saddle? I'm going to say the top is the front because of the pressure points that seem to suggest where the stirrup leathers hang.

I think it's interesting that there is almost no pressure in the lower half of the image, even though the shape of my saddle's seat places me further back - the lowest point of the seat is where the cantle begins.

Why would there be a pressure point on the spine? That would have to be a blanket bunching up I guess.

Are the three red squares due to my saddle being slightly to the left before I noticed it and shifted it back to center? 

I find it interesting that I had shimmed the middle of my saddle on both sides because I thought my saddle was bridging. I placed the shims low on the bars (further from the spine). The shims on both sides are both 6 inches long and 2 inches wide, by 1/4" thick. Strangely, the pressure points in the middle of the image do not correspond to the shape and position of those shims.

Like Teresa said, with no video of the rider to correspond with the cumulative pressure point image, it's not as helpful. With no adjustments and then follow up measurement, it's even less helpful. So this free session gives you something to speculate about, but not much more.

***

I think I know where the word Gah comes from. Like pwn, I think it's a typo from Agh! Am I right?

6 comments:

AareneX said...

I've used "GAHHHHH" for true frustration. Where did it come from? I have no idea.

Saddle: there's also a blue spot in the middle, which is odd....did the fellow running the machine tell you what that was about?

TeresaA said...

This does not look useful to me at all.

Also, 'Gah' is what you say to indicate that you are both pissed off and disgusted.

'Argh' is more for frustration.

:)

Camryn said...

Don't ask me, I'm clueless lol. There's a current eyeglass commercial where "GAH", seems to mean excitement.

TeresaA said...

I thought I posted a comment but I must have screwed it up.

I don't think that this image gives you information without a full saddle evaluation.

GAH is used to express a combination of anger and disgust. Argh is mostly frustration with some anger. :)

EvenSong said...

My immediate assumption was that the top of the image corresponded to the front of the saddle. And that the red area was the top of Mag's right shoulder blade. But your thought of that being where the saddle had shifted to the left also makes sense.
On the other hand (or seat, if you prefer), maybe the top = the back of the saddle, and the "hotter" areas are where your buttocks and thighs sit?
Like you said, with no "compass rose" it's hard to say. Either way, the concern is the red area, and what it says (or doesn't say) about balance.
I guess it's worth about what you paid for it--if in fact it was free.

TeresaA said...

I am glad that things are going so well!