Saturday, January 14, 2017

Growing, trusting, accepting, learning -- all of that today!

I feel that today is our turning point in our stay at this barn, from baby steps to grown up work. OK teenager work *lol*

As I rode Mag around, I realized he seemed to have understood the lesson of forward, marching walk. I had forgotten a whip but if he lost his forward, I would tap him with both heels and he'd get the rhythm back. I was whispering 1,2,3,4 with his walk to be sure he was keeping it.

Then I began to do the 1,2 count in my head to ask for a trot and it worked, as it always does, like magic. We walked, we trotted, we walked, we trotted, around and around, both ways, and I felt Mag saying, "I get this, I can do this, it's no problem." (I have to wonder if he hates lunging so much that getting me on his back is a relief - oh, and that was intentional on my part.)

A mare was getting a chiro treatment in the center, and they were putting out some nice energy that we both enjoyed I think. Then Moritz came in, one of Mag's best friends, but had this huge fire engine red cooler hanging off the backside of him. They removed it and a new little girl got up on him for her first time. A new lease rider? The pregnant owner stood in the center giving her instructions. I played "Follow you, follow me" with Moritz for a while but then the girl started trotting and Moritz is a rocket ship at the trot - he was racing around as fast as he could trot, cutting corners and the trot looked just awful to ride. The little girl just stood in the stirrups, not sure she could post that! He would rush right by us and that made Mag uncomfortable, but that's good for him.

I think most horses do not like it when another horse passes by at speed, especially heavy Haflingers whose hooves shake the earth. I tried to play, "Let's catch Moritz at the trot" but Moritz lapped us over and over. It's funny that an Arabian can be so poky and a Haflinger on fire.

Then we just got out of their way as much as possible. The pregnant lady's husband was on a bench watching the entire time, with his dog wrapped in Moritz's cooler. Mag eyed them suspiciously every time we passed. "Audience! WHY an audience?" As always, Mag is intrigued by people watching him - and I flashed back to the day I saw him ridden the first time, he stared at me, in the audience section, with that same look, "Why are you watching me? Why am I interesting?" It was funny at the time. Today I started to relax into it, it's just the way he is.

I was enjoying doing transitions on the lightest contact possible, keeping my legs off him as much as humanly possible, keeping my upper body loose, was I actually having fun!?! J's words came back from this and every morning, "Have fun with your horse!" Fun on a baby horse is hard for me. But we are leaving the baby zone rapidly now.

I ended our ride, rubbing and praising Mag, and giving him a full face massage, he loves the sides of his mouth rubbed, apparently, and jawline, both sides at once.

I was so happy with him, and I think he was proud of himself.

As we were riding I noticed Claudia's head over the door, watching us. I'm sure she was glowing with pride as she watched, she helped us a total of 3 times, but really took an interest in Mag's progress and here he was, acting like a grown up horse. If you didn't know us, you'd never guess we had been taking baby steps just last week.

I said, "Mag, you might not be as stupid as I thought. We'll see." In the very least he is finally displaying tremendous willingness, the best thing that can happen during training.

One negative thing from today - as I was lunging him to warm up before riding, there was a girl riding her Western horse at the same time as that other mare was having her chiro. The Western rider had a sequim jacket, I kid you not. Nothing wrong with that. I mean, ugh! No helmet, just bouncing blond hair. I have no idea who she is but suddenly Moritz's owner popped over the door to take a look at how full the arena was, and sequim jacket lady said, "B (how does she know my name?), you need to leave, or stop lunging, because it's very full in here and Moritz wants to come in." I thought, "What!?" I know the rules by now, two people can lunge even if people are riding, if we're careful, and I'm on a 10 meter circle, being very careful. I don't think she liked how I asked Mag for a trot exactly as she passed us by, and she said, "ACHTUNG!" to me (watch out). I did nothing wrong, and kept the rail clear for her. I just came close to her, which is good practice for Mag. Anyway, the thought that occurred to me was, "Geez lady if you think it's too full in here, YOU can leave!" but I didn't say anything besides, "I'm going to ride, I'm just warming up." Then sequim jacket lady left. And Moritz didn't come for another 10 minutes. So WTH. I have stood "in line" for the arena enough times that I think I understand the rules. But, to be sure, I'll confirm with Gabi. Normally everyone is so nice, it's weird to have a little drama. And who is this sequim jacket lady anyway!?

I just texted Claudia, "Did you see us, did you? Nice huh?" and she said, "It looked very nice. Sorry I couldn't stay. You two did good work today, and with so much going on in there!"

To be honest when the snow kept falling off the arena roof in clumps, I didn't think I'd have the nerve to ride. And I did get one spook from Mag from that, but I am starting to realize he is less reactive than most horses his age, and I don't need to worry. And admittedly it helps me to have others in the ring with me. The more the better!

My husband told me tonight  I can keep him there an extra month, which means March, if I like. I am starting to hate that commute, but I'm getting so much out of this time with him, our daily routine together. And indoor arenas RULE in German Winter! It's been dumping snow all day. I found a snow angel where Mag rolled in his paddock. Then he tipped over the wheelbarrow, spilling poo everywhere, very very funny! I cannot scold him when he plays with the wheelbarrow.

I had a dream last night I was out on the Wuppertal trails for the first time with another horse and rider, and I was in the lead, and I turned around and said, "Let's trot!" It was so real, I was so at ease, and I could see every leaf on the ground.

I can see that happening before March: )

If ever I wished a horse could understand perfect English, I wish Mag could know exactly how happy he made me today. I did my best, massaging him and praising him and telling him over and over how great he is.

See you tomorrow Mag, you wonderful horse.



This photo is from my first ride on Mag outside in Nov 2015, when he was still sick, and 4 years old. Poor Mag had been ridden by so many potential buyers he'd started throwing them off and was never sure what was going on. I can't believe I managed to ride him out there alone. Well, my husband is the reason, he encouraged me outside of my and Mag's comfort zone. Next time I ride Mag in the woods, at least he'll have an understanding about who is on his back!

15 comments:

TeresaA said...

This post made me smile. I am so happy for you guys!

Udeb said...

So glad you feel like you're on your way! I had to laugh, only someone from Washington state (like me as well) would spell it sequim. Hee-hee. That's the town on the Olympic peninsula. You're after sequin, but I miss the Northwest too, over here in North Carolina.

Best wishes!

Udeb said...

I'm so glad you're feeling like you're on your way! Congrats!

I had to laugh--only someone from Washington state would spell it sequim. That's the town on the Olympic peninsula. You can take the girl out of the Northwest, but not the Northwest out of the girl. !!

Originally from Issaquah,
Deb

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Sounds good! I'm so glad that you and Mag could prove the sellers wrong about trotting on him. I think you may be right that it was just a matter of too many different riders and him being so young and confused. I'm sure you are consistent enough that he feels comfortable with you. I'd have a hard time with people telling me to get out of the arena when I drove all that way and hadn't even had a chance to ride yet. Do they have rules about how long you can stay in if someone is waiting and who has to leave first?

Camryn said...

You have no idea how happy I am for the two of you. Awesome you get to continue longer than planned. Yeah, I understand that Haflinger turbo trot all to well. Couldn't post or sit it, I do still miss Camryn though. Ms. sequin needs an attitude adjustment.

lytha said...

Teresa, thank you!

Deb, what do you mean, OH! Just looked on google. OK, one letter difference, lol. I've spent some time in that town, the town in the rainshadow. Gorgeous. I spent most of my riding life in Issaquah, well, living in Seattle, with my horse in Issaquah. May Valley Rd. and Coalfield. Maybe you know my dressage trainer, Debi of Morning Star Farms, Renton.

NM now that I've experienced this a few times I need to talk to Gabi and find out the official rules cuz I try to hard to be polite and wait my turn.

Camryn, you are the one person I knew would understand that rocket trot, cuz wow. Bouncy and award winning speed.

AareneX said...

YAY YAY YAAAAAAAAAAAY! Look at (both of) you GO!

Keep that dream in your mind. Rehearse it. Think about it. Tell Mag about it. It will happen!!!



Sequim vs sequin, lol.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

You are making wonderful progress. I'm happy you will be able to keep him there another month; he'll be even more solid that way when you bring him home.

EvenSong said...

What Teresa said!

Kitty Bo said...

Ditto to what Aarene said. No high better than horsey high.

lytha said...

Aarene, thanks for the cheering: ) Can you believe I had no idea that sequim was not a glittery thing?

Annette, I'm so, so worried about bringing him home, where I am alone and have only streets and then trails, but alone.

ES, Thank you!

KB, It was a high, all the way home, and following my man into the bathroom to tell him..ok enough said.

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Zoe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Achieve1dream said...

Alright Mag!!! I'm so glad he is growing up. It seems to take forever, but when they start to figure it out they really start making progress. I wish I had an arena to ride in. I think it would help us out a lot too. Keep up the great work!!