Thursday, December 8, 2016

2nd ride at the new barn

Birgit and her daughter Jasmin were on time and I asked them for a full half hour to warm Mag up. Jasmin brought her lease mare Wolke into the ring with me to ride a bit as I lunged. Wolke (cloud) is a better influence, they said, than Moritz the Haflinger, who can rodeo unexpectedly.

I was touched that they were so thoughtful about our prospects for success today.

What I didn't know, was that Birgit had volunteered her daughter Jasmin to being the main helper for my ride - she thrust the lead rope at her as I mounted. OK, well, Jasmin seems happy to help, but I didn't specifically ask the kid so it surprised me. I think Birgit doesn't trust herself, and that's fine. They both wanted to help, and they both did, the entire time, one on either side of Mag's head *lol* with Birgit reaching out and stroking his neck repeatedly saying in English GOOD BOY because she hears me say that a lot.

There was this patch of sunlight on the arena wall that had Mag worried but they just steered him away from it to make it easy on him. Mag got distracted a few times when people moved horses around and he could hear them but not see them, but he never disobeyed, he just had his attention divided.

At one point he started chomping the bit and Birgit said, "Look, he's chewing happily" but that wasn't happy chewing, that was self-placating (tension). Tanja had said the exact same thing the day before. Apparently they cannot tell the difference. Today Mag was even biting at the reins again, a trick he does out of frustration. Is Mag expecting things to go bad, just like I do?

Most of my ride he didn't give me a single ear, because he had people at his head and other horses to think about, but he held it together and never worried me. He was overwrought in his stall as I groomed and tacked him up, I think I really should cut back on the coffee before riding because he was feeling my heart rate.

I have to admit, because I'm a grown up now,  it's a conundrum to experience fear and worry while doing what one loves most on earth. But over the last 3 years I've had much less fun than worry, and my rides were spent thinking about what could go wrong next. Green horses are hard for me to relax on, it turns out. I know once I get on a trained horse, I'm fine, and I can have fun (Hana) and total relaxation in the saddle again - that just doesn't happen to me very often. Once, in Leavenworth, last year. It was so awesome to just sit back and enjoy. How strange how 3 years of green horses can damage your joy.

When done, Jasmin and Brigit were overflowing with praise for my horse, and treats, they treated him until he became mouthy. I loosened the girth, removed the bit, and rubbed under his bridle.

They weren't as innovative as Tanja, they didn't challenge us with patterns and pace changes, but I'm grateful.

Back at the stall, Birgit asked if it was OK if she gave him a hay cube mash. Of course. How nice! He has never had a mash before and of course he loved it. Birgit said, "Look how dirty his nose is now! Look how daintily he eats it though!" How sweet they are. I hugged both of them and thanked them and Birgit said just to text her to set up another date for riding again.

How wonderful to have help, for free, and better help than the last two trainers I had. The two trainers who convinced me I cannot do this on my own. (Gail, are you reading this?) Well, I am not alone, at least, not til March....

Some pics...





Birgit's mash. I always think that being done with work is the reward, and I like to feed while tacking up, but it's kind of nice to get something as a surprise.






Tanja's lunging cavesson, which fits Mag perfectly, but I don't like the design, the nosepiece falls down no matter how much you tighten it. The nose band is simply not solid enough.




Tanja sent me photos from the day before, how nice. Mag, you law-abiding horse with your (expired) license.





Oh is your head itchy, you poor thing! I can rub on him, but he cannot initiate.




For the first time in a long time, I'm not deleting pictures of myself. I'm sure I own more flattering clothes, but I am so happy with how I look lately. 19 pounds/8 kilos in 12 months. And I don't miss sugar or grain at all - just thank God there are no Mexican restaurants around.




Typical Bergisches Land hills, lacking mountains.






I like how Mag has got his head wrapped around Tanja trustingly.




Love.


Gabi's dog Fina got in so much trouble today for stealing that hat. I know better than to leave my gloves around. That hat though.  It reminds me of Jayne's (Firefly).

A man walks down the street with a hat like that, people know he's not afraid of anything.

6 comments:

AareneX said...

More progress, more progress, more progress! It's such a joy to wake up in the morning and see so many updates!

Fear can take away the joy, absolutely. I think you are taking good steps to get Mag moving in the right direction towards being a "trained" horse. And back to the joy!

As for Hana: she's not a beginner's horse, but she IS the horse I have used as my "first horse back" after having each hip replaced, because she CAN be trusted with people who know how to ride, bless her heart.

Cunning hat. Connor used to steal my helmet--one time, he ran off with it and dropped in the stallion's pond!

lytha said...

Aarene, when I rode Hana I had trust in her despite you telling me she'd test me. Hana never tested me (but often I've been told horses will test me and they do not for some reason). She was just fun, wonderful, cheerful, mature, the best you can ride in those hills. I mean, look at Duanna's face on Hana: ) :) : )Do you remember how I asked her to leave the group up to the monument, and she did it for me, weaving through the dark forest, not knowing me? What a good girl. I felt her hesitate, "Really?" and I said, "Let's go!" and we went!!! (And I wondered if that was OK with you guys....) When you say she's not a beginner's horse, I think she might just plant herself and graze if a kid were on her? Is that what you mean?

What is cunning hat?

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have kind, positive helpers. I think you are getting just what you needed.

Camryn said...

I was hoping to see a post from you after I got the boys down for their naps. Your experiences at the boarding barn have me thinking it's not so bad after all! To board I mean. My trimmer mentioned yesterday that she's a boarding barn snob and doesn't generally like backyard setups. She does however like mine. Love all the pix, you look great, Mag and his girlfriend are a perfect couple.

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I've really enjoyed following along with your adventures at the boarding barn. I think you clearly made the right decision for you and Mag. I hear joy returning in your posts. I so hear you on having more stress than fun with horses the last few years - with my own riding that's been where it's at as well. In fact, due to a number of reasons, I haven't ridden in almost two years since I had to retire my mare. I just don't have the motivation to get another horse. It helps that I'm already with horses all day, every day.

So glad you are getting to spend such concentrated time with Mag, it will pay off for both of you. Also, you are looking pretty great yourself!!

Achieve1dream said...

Love the photos! You both look great. I'm glad you're having success with the diet. I wish I could still eating sugar... It's so hard. Cutting it grain was ready, sugar not so much.

I'm so happy you're on your way to finding joy in riding again. I think it to be a year or more to stop being terrified while riding Chrome off property. I still have my moments but for the most part I enjoy it now. Green horses are definitely a challenge.