Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Pick a leg?

We got home from a short trip to Denmark (a new country for me!) and Mag was lamer than when we left, and on the opposite fore hoof. I got out my record book and saw that this all started July 20, with the abscess LF. Then the sore leg switched to RF. Then back to LF. Then RF, and yesterday we have LF again.

I called a different vet immediately. He was good - he came out that day, and he didn't act rushed, he said to me, "It's very important that you understand me" and repeated himself, telling me what is happening in the LF foot. It's not another abscess, but he said the difference is insignificant, it's a stretched white line with debris and fungus/bacteria working their way up. That morning I'd found the hole in the white line, opposite the hole from the burst abscess. The vet dug out another hole (Mag's 3rd hoof carving in the last few weeks!).

I'm to dig out the hole every day (I will do it twice daily cuz why not) and then pack it with Ichthammol (nasty black goop) and loose cotton. And try my best to keep Mag dry. (HA!)

I locked them onto a grazing strip that has less wetness. We have SO MUCH GRASS! And still no hay.

The vet told me to rasp the toes, that Mag's toes are too long and heels underrun. I know this is a natural tendency for Mag, but I am disappointed that my trimmer was here 3 weeks ago, and did not do anything to help. I called S's trimmer today and got a very nasty attitude on the phone instead of a semblance of professionalism. She was annoyed with me, she accused me of negligence and demanded to know why I only had her out once. I didn't say "Cuz you hit my horse with a rasp" - I said, "Cuz I was able to do her hooves fine by myself, no problem." After this attitude she said she would only agree to come out if I committed permanently to an every 4 week program. I said, "How about I help trim, and you just check?" No. Every 4 week trim or nothing.

I was at the vet today picking up a second bottle of bute and requested our bill in person.

580Euros. That's before yesterday's visit from the other vet. My husband carefully inspected the bill, but it was correct. We cannot afford a monthly farrier. Just yesterday we upgraded Mag's insurance to include ALL operations possible. Mag is worth it, I think. But that is not inexpensive.

I will talk to my normal trimmer and discuss getting the hooves fixed, because if Mag has white line disease, it's probably cuz of the trim. It's such a helpless feeling, to know there isn't much you can do to prevent an abscess or white line issue, it's weather and circumstances. Just, try to get a good trim if you can: )

I also looked at buying some easyboots for him, for both medical and trail use, but Mag's hooves are so out of whack not a single easyboot model will fit him. He's 120mm by 150mm! I probably got it down to 120X140 today, but that's still too narrow.

The vet pointed at the long toe on his RF and said I could rasp it myself. I said I would. Today as I did, he yanked away from me three times. I never got upset. He's in a lot of pain and cannot put much weight on his LF. I can only lift a hoof if we are standing in the stall on the mats - outside is too rough.

I try to do some massage with him, but he walks away because it shifts his balance and that hurts too.

He's as sweet as ever, nuzzling me when I work on his hooves and legs (he has a very slight case of scratches which I'm expertly eradicating, I'm so good at that after so many years of dealing with it!). He has no condition at all, and a bit of a grass belly, but he's still eye candy and I can't even believe how beautiful he is some days. The way he looks at you - you have to experience it. Kind of like a Collie dog, that sweet look they give you, beaming affection.

Until I see improvement I'm buting him twice daily, maintenance dose. He limped horribly down our hill and then on a flatter spot, cantered happily away. I kept saying easy, easy...

The donkey and the cat are perfectly healthy!

We were hit by a semi on the way to Denmark - but that's a whole 'nother story to come...along with .....DENMARK!

8 comments:

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Poor buddy. White line is the worst! I wish you luck with it and finding a good trimmer because I think that will make all the difference for him.

lytha said...

GPG, So happy to see you read my blog! Do you have experience with white line?

Did you know there are two Haflinger farms in our village? I mean, there is this one with 50 acres, all full of Haflingers grazing in synchrony. It's quite a sight. The one I am trying to take lessons at, there are fewer, but also many. I saw a Haflinger show at Equitana and finally realized that all Haflingers have black hooves, despite having white legs. What! What was with Bohdi?

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Hi yes I am a long time lurker.☺ I don't have personal experience but a good friend of mine is dealing with a severe case now. It is very common around Florida. I wish I lived around so many haffies that sounds wonderful. Bodhi and Oak both have striped hooves. Neither are registered so I take their breeding with a grain of salt 😉

TeresaA said...

Oh poor Mags and you. Would shoes help? And a semi?!

AareneX said...

Wait. Hit by a SEMI? Does that mean something different in Denmark than it means here??!!??

I'm going to send a link to your blog to my farrier. She might not have advice, but she will at least have sympathy. I have sympathy too!

Camryn said...

White line sucks, my first horse came with it. Took a while but, did get better. A SEMI!!!

kbryan said...

Poor Mag, I feel so bad for him (and you). Here is a place that makes custom boots - http://www.hoofwings.com/index.html if you think that might help. And some more info here - http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/hoof-boots.html.

Glad you made it back from Denmark, thank heavens you all are OK after being hit.

I hope Mag gets better soon.
K.

lytha said...

Teresa, shoes might help, or not, so I'm going to think about that option last. Yes a big old semi!

Aarene, let me put some hoof photos on my blog before you show it to her! Well naturally they don't call them semis here but that's what it was! It happened in Hamburg.

Camryn, so many things to learn about horses, and I'd rather not have it first hand like this.

K, I'll check them out. I've been thanking God since the accident, it was terrifying.