Monday, July 18, 2016

Two good dreams

I have a lot of nightmares, and I keep a dream journal. My nightmares are mostly losing control of my truck, losing my brakes. This has never happened to me in RL, but I've had my brakes not work well (and burn up) when my trailer was too much for my first truck. Aarene has already interpreted this recurring dream for me. I have no idea why the dream continues.

I also dream, regularly, about my job that I lost in a messed up situation in 2013. I keep dreaming I have to work there again, despite the awfulness. And I can't remember my login. Or what project I was working on.

I also dream of having somehow missed attending a university class, but needing to take the final. This one will haunt me the rest of my life, I'm sure. I never ever screwed up in college, but apparently I was always worried I would.

Last night God gave me some nice dreams. The first one, I was at my new lesson arena and I was having a great ride, trotting Mag around, completely at ease.

I woke up and pondered it, and then willed myself to have another (I can somewhat control my dreams). In this one I was riding him on the beach, the Washington coast. The waves were huge but he wasn't afraid. I rode him right in, even cantering in the water. Then I lost track of the shore and a huge wave covered us and I didn't know which way was land. Then I saw it and we made it but the saddle (western!?) was loose and all sandy so I removed it, and Mag took off down the beach without me. Then I found him and called and he came to me. I noticed that he was endurance-fit and his mane had grown in fully. I also didn't call him Mag, but something cheesy like "Cosmos." *lol* Then I rode him around on the sand and he was just fine.

***

I'm sorry to say I was busy Friday and my trainer couldn't reschedule, so I've had two weeks of no riding. See, I've decided I really like the feeling of riding in an enclosure where we both feel safe. Of course if I had a way to feel safe out in the woods, I'd be pursuing this, but Lukas said the horse is not ready, and my husband can help, but I don't feel safe with him because he doesn't have authority over Mag. He's great for comfort and keeping me chatting but whenever there is a problem, J doesn't instinctively know how to help.

So I don't have much to say. I've been doing the massage work, but the horseflies make it impossible at times. Right now Mag has a 2 inch blood stain on his belly from the flies, and blood in his tail.

Just now I went out there and saw what I thought was Mag colicking. He was pawing, circling, and panting at 120! All his veins are showing. Then I saw that it was the horseflies. He cannot relax, he's constantly fighting them by flexing and stomping and circling, and going in and out of the stall. The donkey was happily eating the walnut branches I gave them. I sprayed him with the last of the pesticide that I have (new bottle on order) not that it helps much. I'd never seen so many horseflies as today. They are swooping constantly around and even in the stall! See we had a massive downpour yesterday and last night it was like we live in a cloud, that cloud was humidity. Right now my drinking glass is sitting in a puddle. My seeing glasses fog up when I go outside. And it's hot enough out I believe the flies hatched in great numbers. It sucks to be helpless against what is troubling my horse.

Earlier today J and I took Mag for a walk, and he was snorting softly the entire time from excitement. He stood fake tied to a tree as J checked a cache ("Lytha's Home.") He stood still by the bench for me to lean on him fake mounting. Then he chewed on the bench and J was appalled that I let him do that. He was good about those two fake things but on the way home he kept trying to snatch bites of the muzzle-high grass. It's a real pain to walk him down that sidewalk with such high grass on both sides, but he'll have to learn it. Once at our pasture I thanked J and let Mag graze along our fenceline. He has to learn that sometimes grazing is OK (when I say so) and when we're moving, it's not. (But of course eventually I'll teach him to eat under saddle on cue.)

A bicyclist snuck up behind us, so stealthily, must not be animal aware because she was almost on top of us silently when Mag scooted forward. He's cool though, he doesn't react strongly to things like that.

Kids were splashing in their new pool, Mag looked but no big deal. Cars zoomed right by him, no reaction.

Lately I've been doing girthing up sessions with him, and picking up his hind feet, which involves a lot of exhales on my part: ) He lets me trim his pasterns and bridle path, and touch the clippers to his ears (but that is really annoying!).

Since we have no hay I'm feeding beet pulp (soaked, of course) twice a day, and both animals leave the area for me to bring out the buckets, and wait for me to leave and whistle to them to come and eat. It's a beautiful thing, both animals hesitantly approach, and they each go into their stalls for their buckets in an orderly fashion. 

So although I don't have any good news/progress to report, I am working on little things, and my dreams are giving me big things to look forward to.

***

Clinton Anderson recently said he had to be tough with a young stallion in order to not get "raped in the a** " by him. And a lot of even nastier things about his women clients. I've never liked him but now it's out there, he uses rollkur to punish a horse for being heavy, and he insults his own clients publicly. I won't repeat his quotes, I'll refer you to another blog which prints the transcript and has the video so we can see him actually saying those words.

Philippe Karl of Cadre Noir says it's not OK to abuse your wife for only a few minutes, so it's not OK to ride LDR for only a few minutes. Although CA says he had to rough up this horse for 6 seconds, you can see it was not 6 seconds.


























***

And now for something nice. Have you seen the Pignon clinic from 2009, where he meets a stressed out horse and using way less than less (less is more) gets the horse's cooperation?

Here is session 1.

If you don't have the patience to watch more, he pretty much establishes the method in the first minute of the video. In which subtle is not a sufficient adjective. If you have the patience to get through the 4 parts, it is impressive. And he does not need a rope halter or even a long lead line, just a nylon halter, normal lead, and a whip (which looks like a lunge whip but I'm not sure).

In contrast, I've fallen for Warwick Schiller's techniques. I've seen the same situation as Pignon's brought to him (here). It's required viewing for his clinic students. He discusses cognitive behavioral therapy, which I can relate with. I find it fascinating. I doubt many of you have not seen it, but ...can you please tell me what you thought he would do, in that time  before he took the line? I had a completely different imagining. What did you think? WS says, "Horse training is like Aikido, you redirect your enemy's energy. You don't fight them. Like Ray Hunt, first, you go with them..."


What do you think of these two methods? I exclude CA from this question because I don't need to hear why that was critical to breaking this stallion.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with feeling safe, eventually you will feel safe on the trails. I hate the way Clinton Anderson rides.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I haven't gone to a CA clinic or read one of his books or watched one of his videos in years, but those things he said were quite a disappointment for personal reasons. I had a horse trainer who wanted to make a living the way all the RFD-TV trainers do, and I thought he had some star quality and could succeed, so I supported him on his journey. I advised him to be positive, friendly, and politically correct like CA. Apparently, I didn't know CA as well as I thought. It's disappointing when these trainers develop disdain for the very people who provide them with paychecks. I think I was most frustrated with his comment about fat-assed women climbing up on top of three mounting blocks to get on their horses. The reality in today's society is that the people who can afford to own and want to own horses are middle-aged women, and the hormones of middle-aged women don't mix well with all the fatty food products provided to us by supermarkets and restaurants. I practically starve myself and I get a lot of exercise, but because I am a middle-aged woman, I am fat. I also love horses. I also have arthritis, so I need the help of mounting blocks. I don't need CA putting me down for giving my horses a good life. I noticed in the video that he's put on a few pounds himself. I guess he just can't relate until something in his own life happens to help him relate. I would not disrespect anyone who takes on the massive expense and responsibility of caring for a horse if she is doing her best, and trying to educate herself along the way. It's better than sending horses off to the glue factory. He sounds like he is on the defensive because he's been criticized by women who choose to train with gentler methods.

lytha said...

Redhorse, So many people forgive him because he's allowed a little abuse due to how many people he's helped, and how many horses. I watched his colt training series on YouTube and saw him work a wild colt using terror and exhaustion, sweat dripping off its belly, trembling, so tired. So TAME. And then there's his mare that was a robot, performing in worry of a mis-step. Try that with Arabians.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

How funny -- I have the three same recurring nightmares as you do. I think lots of people have the university one (I know Brett has that one too) but the other two... I've never met anyone else who loses their brakes. Someone told me once that it means there is an area of my life where I feel I have no control and that made sense. Were you told something similar? I have never liked CA, from the minute he appeared on the training scene. I can't imagine why anyone follows his methods unless they have dominance issues of their own. I'll have to check out that other guy (I'm not familiar with him, oops).

lytha said...

NM, I am always wary of blogs where the authors are careful to never show a photo of themselves. But since you have, I can tell you you are not fat. You may be bronzed though: ) As you said, it is funny to see how much weight CA has gained over the years, and yet sadly he insults overweight women who ride. The fact that he wishes we would be KILLED by horses is more than bigotry. BTW, in November I started a LCHF diet and it's a very slow process, but I'm getting smaller and I'm never hungry. It would work better if I didn't have hypothyroidism, or this other pill, or yet this other pill, but despite those, it is slowly working. I have no desire for sugar at all, and am happy enough to not crave starch. My hypoglycemia is cured. Of course, there are no Mexican restaurants here so I'm lucky there: ) : ) My doctor is like, hmmmmm......but we'll see.

Camryn said...

I admit, I was a CA fan with my first horse, while I've definitely grown away from him. It's his book and video I'm using with Grace, it's what I have. I use what makes sense and go with that, it does help that she seems to know most already. Funny, you mentioned Warwick, I just started watching his vides this past weekend and really like him. I've tried his fly spray method, have to work on my timing in a big way. I'll have to watch the other trainer you mention.
Is there anyway to hang a fan for Mags in his stall? We've been pretty muggy & buggy, Grace goes in and stands in front of her fan quite a lot. I also have a few lavender scented home air fresheners out of reach in the barn. I'd read about someone else doing this for bugs. It does work. Haven't tried this yet but, hanging a plastic bag with a few pennies over door/window openings is supposed to help. Pizza place down the road is across the street from an Amish dairy farm. He did this and says it's amazing how well it works, he used to have flies everywhere nod not one in sight now.

lytha said...

Annette, both the Pignon videos and the Schiller one take about an hour each, but they are totally worth it. Both brilliant trainers, but with a different approach to massively distracted, unruly horses. Yah, Aarene told me the brake dream is about not feeling in control of my life. But I DO feel in control, I always have, so *shrug*. The college/university dream - I was in college for 8 years. 89-96. Why am I still dreaming that dream?! It's a type A thing, I know, but still. I have lost control of my vehicle in both snow and rain. And twice as a passenger in weather caused collisions, but me as passenger, so????

lytha said...

Camryn, a fan, outside...I'm afraid we'd burn the place down. I'm still trying to figure out where you live but since you mentioned "amish" I'm narrowing it down *lol* Being from the PNW, I've never seen a fan in a stall, but I have seen it in photos from other bloggers, and I've wondered how that works.

ChicagoGrrrl said...

http://horse-journal.com/article/the-best-horse-stall-fans
http://www.infohorse.com/fireprevention.asp
I would think Germany makes a good agri fan, rated for barn use, or outdoor use. What about a fly sheet?

I think many of these natural horsemen TV types are all charletons. except Buck.

Camryn said...

I'm in NE Ohio, about an hour or so south of Cleveland. Yeah, I wasn't sure if you had any inside space for a fan. I keep a fan hanging from the rafters and another on the ground on the outside of a gate. I often find her relaxing in front of them.

AareneX said...

The brake dream is about FEAR of losing control. Those of us who "have everything under control" (I include myself) often fear losing it, and a lot of us have that dream! (Also, anyone who has ever actually lost brakes will have that dream, for obvious reasons).

The good dreams: remember those, rehearse them, practice visiting those feelings! Yay!

There are so many Big Name Trainers who make my teeth itch. The list of trainers who don't bug me is much shorter. Am I too picky?

Bugs: I won a bottle of "Pyranha" fly spray in a raffle, and I gotta say it mostly works. Fiddle is terribly allergic to no-see-ums, so I keep her covered in a fly mask and sheet, and use the spray on her legs. It's probably way too toxic to be sold in Germany, though.

TeresaA said...

I often have dreams where I drive over a embankment and have no brakes. Maybe it's a horse woman thing?

Can you get Mags a fly sheet? they do help.

I think the small things with horses are big things. As you know I love WS. I don't care for CA- never have.

Camryn said...

I'm in NE Ohio, approx. an hour south of Cleveland. I wasn't sure if you had any areas besides the stalls under cover.

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Thanks for introducing these two trainers. Enjoying the videos. CA has a temper, and poor judgement. Not a fan either for sure!

Sirje said...

Oh rats, I just typed out a long comment and I think I accidentally deleted it. Let me see if I can remember everything:

It was about your dreams. Since you were the one driving, the dream is specifically about your choices and subsequently your personal loss of control over things and situations. (Next time it happens, try to take control of the dream and turn the car into a surfboard or something else that doesn't have breaks. :) The work and test dreams are about being unprepared for important, unpleasant situations that determine a greater outcome. Since you mention all these recurring dreams together with the beach dream, it seems you are connecting your old recurring anxieties and working them out in relation to the Mag situation in a really constructive way.

The water dream is really positive! It seems to be about working out your "big" emotions about something (ie Mag or your relationship to the whole situation, like how it makes you feel). You are overcome by emotions (waves) and lose your orientation and stability (lose land) but you are able to reassert control, maintain connection and determine the outcome (you call him, he comes). You enter the situation from a state of (self-)support, awareness, control and positivity (represented by the physical location of the beach, which you chose) and so you reemerge from the situation stronger and more in line with what you want (represented by his physical condition). This is unlike the recurring dreams above, where you feel helplessly thrown into situations where you lose control, and there the story ends infinitum. Here you get right back on the horse, so to speak, and enact the change you want. :)

Hair on a person usually represents our thoughts, like what we put out in the universe, so maybe you also decide in this case that Mag, and you by extension, since he represents you in this dream as much as he does himself, will also have stronger thoughts, and fully realise your growth potential. Cool dreams. :)

Sirje said...

Forgot a part: Just to sum up, according to what you posted about your dreams and (it bears repeating!!) in context of what (little) I know about you IRL: You have a little anxiety about making wrong choices in important and stressful situations due to being unprepared, which you worry will cause you to lose control. Your emotions, which may feel overwhelming, actually are a strength which help you get everything on track when things seem crazy. Bottom line: your subconscious seems to be advising you, regarding stressful situations, to take time to ask yourself what you feel and what you really want, and let that guide you for now, as opposed to what you "should" think/feel/do. This probably will feel crazy to a person worried about being unprepared, but hey. Who are we to judge advice from the "cosmos", lol.

Unknown said...

I've personally never been a fan of CA, but I do enjoy trainers like Ray Hunt and Buck Branamman. I've really come to enjoy Warwick Schiller and the resources available thru him. He has a Facebook page where he freely gives advice and there is yet another FB page walled the pink whip society where a lot of people use techniques taught by Warwick to discuss issues and help each other out. Good luck with Mag, I think he definitely has the potential to be an amazing partner for you.

lytha said...

Chicago, I'd like Buck a lot more if he had a way with people and not just horses. I would be way too scared to ever do a clinic with him - he can be mean. But it's wonderful how much help he gives horses.

Camryn, Ohio! Never been. Gotta see all 50, that's what me and J are planning.No, we only have the little stalls for shelter, sadly.

Aarene, aha, gotcha. I've not lost my brakes per se, but once someone pulled in front of me on Admiral way in W Seattle so fast that I could not slow down and almost crashed, because my trailer was so heavy and my truck was only a 1500. Then I had the burning up of the brakes on long down-mountain slopes. That sucked. You know that smell. I know you have had way, way worse with brakes...I'll try to keep my good dreams in my head.

Teresa, I'll consider a fly sheet - do you know a good brand? We have horseware here. I just see the flies mostly going for the exposed parts, just like they always get me on the neck or the back of my hands, they know not to bother with the covered areas.

Golden, let me know what you think.

Sirje, thank you for the dream interpretation - interesting. I wish I had even more control of my dreams, but I'm working on it. I often half-wake up and tell myself, "Change it, make it better" and it works!







Achieve1dream said...

I used to keep a dream journal and was able to change my dreams too. It's fascinating isn't it?

Regarding the flies, I'm definitely going the fan route when my barn is done. I'll have to read up on the fire risks.....

I like Warwick a lot. 😁