Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Mag suffers choke


Right now I'm sitting in a chair in front of our stall and Mag is inside, blanketed, but trembling still from stress/sedation. The donkey keeps walking up to him to nuzzle him and he is finally feeling good enough to grouch at her for her freedom.

He keeps touching my shoulder over the stall door and nickering, "Let me out"

The hoof trimmer was supposed to arrive at 6. At 4 I looked out my window and saw Mag repeatedly yawning and chewing, but with a lazy look on his face. Something was probably caught in his throat, it looked like haylage.

I called them to the paddock eventually to wash their legs of mud (as I'd promised the lady, their hooves would be able to be found at the ends of their legs today).

To reward them for coming, I tossed a handful of beet pulp pellets over the paddock floor, for them to search for and eat individually. I have done this several times. Neither Mag nor Bellis are too food motivated, so it's not a problem to give them a few pellets of beet pulp without soaking. After all, isn't it a myth that you must soak it first?

Mag started to "colic" but I know the difference now.
 
Mag wanted to lie down on our brick driveway. He wouldn't take his nose off the ground, foam kept coming out of his mouth, and out of his nose came clear fluid in large bubbles.

The farrier arrived and stayed with me the entire time. She'd never seen choke, this was my third time.  

I'd seen this before, with Mara, from hay she'd eaten too fast. I'd' seen it before when I gave partially soaked beet pulp to a greedy mare. In her case she aspirated and nearly died.

He spasmed and trembled, and groaned and eventually the groans became high pitched whines of pain. I hate that sound.

I remembered what the vet said for Mara, massage the esophagus. I did so. For over an hour I encouraged him to swallow, and I also took over his ears in ear massage. Normally I can touch his ears, but not do much more. But today I could do whatever I pleased, and I gave him deep ear massages. My trimmer said it's an acupuncture point, I said it was something I learned in TTEAM, and that since he's allowing it, it must help.

He was burning hot from exertion and trembling so I put a blanket on him. The farrier said it was too much, that he'd suffer Kreislaufkollaps (a very funny term for foreigners - in German it means fainting, but it literally means circulatory failure which would imply death, but no). She told me that's what happens to endurance horses. What, they FAINT?

From time to time Mag would start panting. The donkey, in a stall to keep her from breaking free, was beside herself with worry about Mag. I eventually went and got her so she could be with him.

After trying to get two other vets, the third one finally arrived, just as Mag started to feel better, of course.

His nose was off the ground, he wasn't looking inward any longer, the excretions slowed and the spasms stopped.  I immediately relaxed and tried to get the farrier to calm down too - she was still in panic mode.

After looking around himself, Mag took a nap right there. Apparently the pain had worn him out.

After examining, the vet said she recommends tubing. I said "No, why!?" She recited her vet school training an said that it's crucial.

During Mara's tubing she'd flung J against the wall and then he'd fallen under her hooves as she'd struggled. So I put a helmet on.

But Mag, drugged and twitched, did not fight. Maybe it was the endoscopies.

Just as with Mara, the tubing didn't have any profound result but it may have helped.

The vet said Mag's teeth are fine, that is the most critical thing to check for these cases. She also told us that she'd seen a horse die from choke, but it wasn't beet pulp, it was carrot slices. The lesson being don't slice up carrots or a horse might forget to chew. Hm.

The vet requested his passport and she said there is no indication yet of whether Mag is intended for slaughter for human consumption or not. I said, "As an American I'm disgusted that you ask this. But I understand you must." So I signed my name under "Not for food" and the vet stamped and signed.

The vet and the farrier both told me that unsoaked beet pulp will expand in the esophagus and cause choke. What! The farrier said I should put a beet pulp pellet in my mouth, it won't even be possible to chew because it will take all the saliva away.

Is there anything out there that a horse won't choke on? I feel pretty safe with pasture grazing, but anything's possible.

Based on my experience now, I won't be feeding the pellets as snacks anymore. I'm not sure if it was the haylage or the pellets, maybe it was both. Interestingly, despite the haylage being softer than hay, I'd seen spit-out bits of it on the ground the last couple days.

The farrier stayed the entire 2.5 hours and held Mag's head in her arms as he slept off the drug. Wish I had a photo of that. But when he finally started to wake up, she took pics of herself and Mag. She said she loves him and would want him if she were looking. I told her if I die she can have him.

















He had to be stalled three long hours so he wouldn't eat anything.


Bellis stayed as close as she could get those hours. I stayed too.

14 comments:

Camryn said...

How frightening! I've witnessed, though have never experienced it. I imagine your bond with Mag will have grown 10 fold now. He knows you have his back for sure. so glad he's OK, appears Bellis is pretty happy about that as well.

Horseyhabit said...

I'm glad he's ok now!!! Scary! :(

TeresaA said...

I'm glad that he's okay. But I believe that the vet is wrong- he choked because he didn't chew it- it didn't expand. That's a myth.

Choke is very scary- Steele did that once because he ate very greedily.

AareneX said...

I swear if you wrapped a horse in bubble wrap, they'd eat that and die. Gahhhh.

Glad he's okay.

I always soak beet pulp because that's the whole PURPOSE of beet pulp: to add water to the inside of the horse. Susan G. says that some horses are more prone to choke than others, and that some will choke on any dang thing.

Kitty Bo said...

When I first saw this title come into my inbox, all I could think was,"Oh, shit. Oh, shit."I hate choke. I'm so glad he's better. I've read too many horror stories of unsoaked beet pulp, but I think you are right about the combination of haylage and beet pulp pellets.

Tina said...

I have had a horse choke on alfalfa pellets. Very scary. Of course he was fine by the time my vet got there. He told me horses can choke just like people.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I'm glad Mag is okay. I've been through choke once and hope I never do again. You must be exhausted.

Piccolopony said...

That's so scary! I'm so glad that he's doing better.

Nicole A said...

Oh my God. I'm so glad he is okay. I remember Mara's choke episode and what happened with J when she freaked out. That had been terrifying to read too.

I'm with Aarene and Kitty Bo re: soaking beet pulp but it might have been due to the combo of haylage and beet pulp pellets. The myth about not soaking beet pulp is in regards to it causing colic if you don't do it. It can still cause choke if fed dry; it just depends on the individual horse whether it will happen or not. And some really will choke on anything. I knew one individual that was so prone to it, he couldn't be fed apple chunks (it had been his favorite treat prior)and had to be turned out in a grazing muzzle to ensure he wouldn't eat grass too fast and choke on that too. It was crazy.

The problem with choking is that once it happens, it is more likely to happen again. I would soak any pellets you give him in the future just to be on the safe side.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this but happy that he is okay. <3

lytha said...

Camryn, about the bond, I feel it: ) Glad you're having fun with your new horse!

Horsey, I was kind of in a daze, expecting him to die. Scary yes!

Teresa, I was trying to explain to J the difference between a normal appetite and a greedy horse - I failed: )

Aarene, I was actually using the pellets for clicker training, cuz they're right there and the perfect size. Won't be doing that again! I have all this beet pulp I'm not feeding because they don't need it, and it was a pain to separate them to feed it.

KM, my blog comes into your inbox? How nice!

Tina, alfalfa pellets do not necessarily have to be soaked, if I understand. Poor Mara could only eat soaked hay pellets for weeks after her choke. At least I'm not doing that right now with Mag!

Annette, thanks for commenting. It was a rough night and when J asked me to make his lunch in the morning I said "CAN'T, need sleep!"

Piccolo, I'm glad to see you read my blog - hope to have more positive posts soon.

Saiph, can you please explain more about the tubing? The vet talked so fast I couldn't catch it all. Also, why did she insist on it? To move a potential block, even when the horse seemed fine? I assume tubing damages the esophagus even when done properly, so I'm treating Mag very carefully now. I have to take his temp for 3 days. So far he's 37.6, not too high. I can't imagine having a horse who wasn't safe from choke even on grass!!!

Betsy B said...

Oh poor you and Mag so happy it all turned out ok. So scary for you guys and how sweet that Bellis was concerned and stayed with his buddy.

K1K1CHAN said...

My high strung red mare Annie choked on hay immediately upon arriving at my barn for her prepurchase exam a few years back. Luckily the vet was already there! The case was quite mild so he tubed and flushed out a lump of hay but no sedation or special treatment was needed, we went on to her being shown under saddle to the vet with hardly a delay.

Sorry your boy had such a rough go. :(

Nicole A said...

Lytha, this link from The Horse explains the purpose of tubing way better than I ever could! :)(See under "Treatment") http://www.thehorse.com/articles/10022/choke-esophageal-obstruction But yes: you tube so you can flush out any partial obstruction or remaining food that might further irritate the esophagus.

From what I've read, ideally after choke you want to start the horse on antibiotics no matter what simply because the risk of pneumonia from aspiration is so high. Sounds like Mag is okay, based on your most recent post :) but monitor him for any increased respiratory rate/effort/nasal discharge over the next week or two.

I hope this never happens to you again! But just in case...in Germany are you allowed to keep a sedative like acepromazine at home? So you could dose a horse if it happens qtqin? Sometimes just sedating them immediately is enough to dislodge the food stuck in their esophagus: it allows the throat muscles to relax.

Achieve1dream said...

Yikes! I'm so glad he's okay!! Some horses are just very prone to it. Every time I've ever seen it happen had been pellets. Beet pulp, alfalfa and even regular horse feed. Horses just aren't really meant to eat pellets I guess, but it happens with hay too so I don't know. I'm glad he's okay.