Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hooves in bandages and my new shirts

The vet was here yesterday (5th vet call this month, so far) to check Mag's abscess. Bellis had started limping that morning, so he checked her and found an abscess in her LF too. He said, "She wants the 'partner look'." (Partner look being Denglish for a matching couple.) *sigh* How could this happen?


And the funny thing was when Bellis put her hoof down after the bandage was applied and saw it for the first time. She freaked out donkey style, she ran full speed into her stall and stood there. I laughed, "That's as excited as she can get about something!" Obviously neither of my animals are used to things on their legs/hooves.



No sign of the LF abscess, but now the RF is sore and the vet recommended shoes. Horse shoes, iron. Since I did not agree, he did dry bandages for Mag to protect his hooves for a while. He asked if I had any "Silver tape" and I said, "Duct tape? Yes." I brought out both kinds and said, "Let's do an experiment to see which is better, the blue or the silver." Then I pointed to the blue roll and said, "See, this company thought it would be humorous to name their product 'duck tape' - hence the little duck images. It's a play on the term duct tape, which is the real name for this." Of course he had no idea, and I couldn't really explain what a duct is properly so that was the end of that conversation.

In this photo you can see how Mag tried to disassemble one of the bandages. You can also see that the wood chips we got in Spring are still helping our path, although one section is mostly mud again, I can easily walk through without sinking, and Mag can run full speed through there (sigh).



I decided yesterday I was going to learn to cook Greek food. We've fallen for a local Greek restaurant's meat platter and since it fits with my LCHF diet, I wanted to try. I was determined to find out what gives Greek food its intense flavor (besides garlic). Happily for me, it's the most successful plant in our garden this year - peppermint. The peppermint is taking over our greenhouse (and growing under the walls and popping up outside). Finally I have a use for it besides in salad.

I made Biftekia (feta-filled highly seasoned meat patties) and Souvlaki (chicken chunks marinated in lemon and garlic and herbs and spices). On the top is some cheap Kebab meat, and I made Tzatziki too, I can never get enough of that. I heated up my bbq to 400F and blackened the meat and it came out so perfectly I put the recipes in my recipe box. I can't make much ethnic food in Germany (the ingredients are in far-away stores) but I can do this! (My favorite Greek food is Moussaka but I haven't learned how to make it LCHF yet.)



And now I've come full circle, back to my childhood, wearing horses on tshirts. I found some nice designs at Red Bubble and Cafe Press. I went so long thinking it's not cool to wear animals on tshirts. My grandmother always wore kittens. It must be an age-related thing. Also, that I'd buy such a bright color!



As you can see they're a little long, and I don't have a sewing machine. Any tips for shortening them? I already cut one and it looks much better, but the rolled edge isn't very professional.

Oh, Aarene, you asked about our camera. Mine got kicked so sometimes the shutter doesn't open, but other than that it's OK.

Speaking of cameras, did you know it's illegal to ride CMO and take out your phone to take a photo? I was wondering how they'd adjust the rule book based on the fact everyone has smartphones now. You can use a camera to take a photo, but not a phone. You can have your phone on to track your miles as long as you never take it out of your pocket. I'm dying to know how people are/aren't complying to the new electronics rule.








8 comments:

Camryn said...

I've "knock on wood" never dealt with an abscess, though Grace came with one already having blown out her coronet band. I can picture Bellis taking off for her stall, to funny. Love the shirts, don't have many horse T's, I've made up for it in hoodies though. Your dinner made me hungry!

AareneX said...

what's up with the abscesses , gahhhhh! Is your pasture extra lush, or ????? what a pita.

Love the shirts. You never objected to wearing Renegade shirts, I notice.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

You want to shorten the shirts? I won't buy shirts unless they are that long or longer because almost all jeans nowadays are low rise or mid rise, and everyone can see my underwear, so I wear long shirts to cover it up. I keep hoping that the clothing designers will realize that there is this juxtaposition among clothes and try to get them all in closer harmony. If they have cotton in them, they should shrink up every time you wash them. I had to stop buying 100% cotton because they'd shrink to doll size after a few washings, and I'd have to give them to charities for children. I like the designs and colors you picked out.

TeresaA said...

That's too bad about the abscesses! Hopefully they will heal soon.

ellie k said...


You might fi d two sided iron on Hemming tape. It is usually in the sewing department and you just put the material together with it and iron it on.

lytha said...

Ellie, the sewing department of what type of store, I wonder. Do you know?

Kitty Bo said...

There is also fabric glue. OF course, being a seamstress, I was going to suggest hand hemming, finding info online I guess on how to do that. If there is a fabric store nearby or do you have"dime stores" over there? Also, if there is an online site over there for sewing supplies you could find the hemming tape. I've never used that, so I don't know how well it would hold up to washings. Lovely shirts. I went through a phase where I hung tassels on my bridles. Only a phase. Finally limited it to one on the cavesson. And so sorry about the abscesseses. Sucks royally.

hainshome said...

You look fantastic!