Friday, June 3, 2016

This week in Germany

I mentioned the beginning of the Summer storms, and I really have been enjoying watching the downpours from inside.

The other day I exclaimed to J that a river was flowing from the street directly into our driveway.  I went out with a rake and started trying to divert the water, which seemed to work. We casually laughed as we drove to Wuppertal yesterday that the rain is trying to change the landscape.

Then we listened to the news. Oh. 5 people died from flooding, and others are still missing.: (

English article with photos (one of our area).

Images from the flooding including the Rhein river leaving its banks in the city of Cologne.

The weather report for today and tomorrow has a warning symbol with hail and lightning also possible.

And if you looked at those links you may have noticed another article from this week about people becoming outraged to find black children images on candy bars.

Also in the news yesterday, a group of single male refugees refused to be transported to another short-term housing solution; they are demanding their own private apartments. But there aren't any left because they were given to the migrants with families first. I am astounded that they can behave like this after I've seen where the live, and know they are fed and clothed in shiny new clothes and shoes, and they get spending money too. This article describes this going back to last fall.

I'm used to them now, our immigrants, although it's always surprising to hear them talking at Aldi in a language that is not German, and loudly. The article states they are demanding more ethnic food.

LOL, I miss Mexican food but I don't expect to find it here. (But I may have complained a bit when I first arrived....)

***

Culture: Germans are extremely strict about what beverages belong in what glasses/cups. I knew this about beer, that Weizen is only sold in tall curving glasses, that Alt beer is served in short glasses, etc. I've been corrected before for putting the wrong beer in the wrong glass, after I'd chosen a glass I preferred rather than the correct type. White wine and red wine have their own too, of course. But other beverages?

Recently I made a cup of coffee at J's family's house and surprised his mother. She said, "That is a tea mug, not for coffee!" I said, "What makes it a tea mug?" "It's clear." Huh!? I told her I prefer to see the color of my coffee, to enjoy it optically. I think she's OK with me doing that by now. But when J's sister came to visit this week, I got down my favorite mug, a clear heavy glass mug with the CMO logo etched into it. She said, "Can I have a coffee cup?" I said, "This is!" She disagreed. Also, they really like saucers under their cups. It's America in 1950. It's quaint.

I wonder if different types of soda or juice have their own types of glasses. And one more thing, I've only ever seen a "beer boot" glass in America.

***

Myrmica Rubra. Last night watching my animals graze the orchard, I felt something in my bra and found a European fire ant. As soon as I brushed it off, it stung me. Right on the breast. I ran into the house full speed and put medicine on it immediately, the only way to prevent days of searing pain and a rock hard lump. It turned red and the redness spread, but this morning I have only a small lump and no pain, whew.

But I am angry about these ants that live in the soil (and trees) all over our land. I wasn't even pulling weeds (when they normally attack). I was just sitting on our brick wall. How did it get up so high on me.

I read recently that this species has arrived and invaded Canada, the East Coast, and even Washington state. (The article linked above shows they have pretty much dominated the coast of New England!) An exterminator wrote that they are virtually impossible to control once they take over your property. I can find them in every square meter of our property simply by pulling a weed or moving a stone, or looking at a tree where they go up and down all day. They are unique because they attack rather than flee when disturbed.

And I am the one they attack. Many Germans don't believe me when I show them the wound and tell them it's from an ant. I've had the doctor doubt me! I've flung off my shoes and pants to escape them, and when they get on you, they often sting repeatedly, and often in groups, all stinging repeatedly.

Is there any place in my garden I can sit and not be attacked by ticks or ants? I love nature, but it seems to hate me.

A quote from the article seems to describe my situation:

Myrmica rubra has become a significant pest in areas in the northeastern U.S. primarily because these aggressive, stinging ants interfere with people's use and enjoyment of their properties, gardens and parks. With Myrmica rubra's extremely high densities foraging both on and above ground on herbaceous plants, shrubs and trees, in combination with the cryptic nature of their nests, the probability of people and their pets inadvertently disrupting the ant's activities is very high. When disrupted, the ants will deliver a painful sting which has in a few cases produced severe allergic reactions to the venom including anaphylactic shock. 

***

The neighbors gave me permission last night to feed snacks to their chickens, woo! So this morning I shared some leftovers from grilling last night. As I laughed at them competing for the pieces of meat, I said, "You like chicken!"

Ohhhh. I just fed chicken to chickens. They sure love it though.



This is a video I made on the day they discovered holes in the fence and visited us. Near the beginning I get nervous because one got too close to me. Then I realized they were all looking for INSECTS. My own personal extermination team! You are always welcome here chickens!

5 comments:

TeresaA said...

The beverage rules are very interesting. I must confess to having certain rules about coffee vs tea but not as strong.

Camryn said...

Floods here in the US as well, several soldiers where just killed in a flash flood at FT HOOD last night. The ants would scare me, particularly because of my Grandbabies. I love my neighbors hens wandering about our pasture. Could watch them for hours. Sadly the family is moving, and no I don't plan on keeping chickens !

AareneX said...

Beverage rules, huh? I admit that I hate being served tea in a cup that has been used for coffee because often the coffee flavor remains, yuck. Same with tea made from a carafe that has been used to make coffee--unless it's been SCRUBBED with baking soda, the coffee taste is still there. I don't mind coffee, but coffee-flavored tea is blech.

Immigrants: I wonder if "demand" is the right word? Sometimes things get messed up in translation, and things that sound outrageous when they come out the far end of the "telephone game" were not outrageous at the start of the line?

Bugs, yeah. When we were travelling in Arizona, the fire ants would swarm the dog food bowls (my old dogs were slow eaters) and bite poor Pippin. Boo.

lytha said...

Aarene, interesting that you caught onto that one word. Cuz I did too. I wondered, Hm, "Demand"!? Or just complain/request and then the media takes hold. Hm! But the fact that they refuse to move and comply makes them seem like ingrates, after all we've given them.

Achieve1dream said...

That video makes me miss my chickens so much! I'll admit I laughed when you told them not to get too close. 😀 They are definitely great tick eaters.