Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Mag shouts to get my attention

This morning Mag greeted me with his "Hungry" nicker and instead of feeding hay I opened up the paddock under the walnut tree for them. They immediately started grazing even though there's not a lot of grass there by now.

Mag kept his eye on me as I started cleaning up but as soon as I started to make my way to the pasture (with my rain coat snapped all the way to my chin against horseflies) Mag started to demonstrate his feelings.

He trotted as close as he could come to me on the other side of the fence, then he trotted to the barn.

Then in a display I'd never seen before, he pranced to the paddock center, sliding in the muddy grass to a halt, and reared up halfway, tossing his head and flagging his tail. He was breathtaking.

I had the feeling he wanted to accompany me to the pasture, because they always do, no matter where I go, they follow, keeping tabs on me I suppose.

But I wanted them to stay near the house so I could mess with him later if I wanted to.

I honestly don't know what he meant to say after the first four words, "I need you to..." So I came back to him and he stood there passively listening to me verbalize my ideas, "You want to come with? You want hay? Well don't worry, I'm not gonna leave you here to hurt yourself."

So I gave them a bag of hay and that seemed to work.

Maybe in the future I'll know what he meant, when I understand him better.

His little dance was so beautiful I don't even mind the mess he made of the paddock doing it.

I promised him I'd always listen to him, it won't just be me talking all the time.

2 comments:

Camryn said...

I'm sure that picture will always remain in your mind. Trying to remember to listen to my new mare as well. I find myself singing "getting to know you, getting to know all about you" from The King & I as I work with her.

Kitty Bo said...

I understand seeing that Arabian beauty. I guess it's one of the things that keeps us coming back to them. ;)