Friday, May 13, 2016

This is the horse I thought I bought

This is the story to go along with the spoiler photo from yesterday.

Today again I was invited to the fancy arena and we hustled up there by 10 AM, a half hour walk on pavement. I have this feeling that an hour walking on pavement a couple times a week is really good for his hooves. They are so hard I'm actually waiting for rain to trim him. He has absolutely no mustang roll left, but no cracks whatsoever, how interesting.

Once there the owner T was putting away the trail obstacles that we'd worked on yesterday. She said, "Now you can lunge and ride anywhere you like!"

Her Arabian was pawing the ground at the arena fence, even digging up rocks and spraying us with them! Mag was like, "Interesting" even as rocks were hitting us.  I think Mag is amused by the attention. Their horses cannot stand it that he is right there but out of reach.

I lunged him a full 25 minutes. I admit, I wanted him less fresh. But no worries, I expect direction changes and transitions almost continually. Lunging should still primarily be mental work and discipline. The canter is coming along too, no bucking today (first time) but lots of cross firing and scrambling as I insisted that he actually go 3 or 4 revolutions before trotting again.

His "trot" is so lovely. He has a full on Western jog that is in no way a real trot. He moves almost in slow motion. He doesn't go anywhere efficiently, but it's a pleasure to watch. Eventually he'll have to learn a ground covering trot, but that's the future.

I purposefully lunged him moving all over the arena constantly so he was exposed to all corners repeatedly. Both directions. I was amazed that he never seemed to tire, he never breathed audibly. He stretched his nose to the ground as he jogged and forgot about resisting me.

I think the difference is that I catch him when he thinks of rebelling, so it's no use to try. I never touched him with the whip today, but a few times I popped it quietly to remind him to obey. I think he is beginning to trust that I'm fair with him, and is learning it's much less work to behave. And he gets lots of GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!! from me.

Finally it was time to get on.

I rubbed his face and told him how great he is when he stopped when I asked. I asked T to move the mounting block to a better place, after she offered to help me, because her horses were all to eager to reach over the fence and make it impossible for me to get on my horse.

She stood on the block, testing it, and I said, "Do you want to ride him?" She said, "No, only after I know a a horse would I ride it."

Mag didn't line up the first time but finally got it and I mounted. He stood perfectly still and the owner was amazed - she said her horses took a very long time to stand for mounting, and that her TB Silver sat down the first time in objection.

I said I practice at benches and stumps I encounter in the woods, lining him up and then laying across his back for only a few seconds.

She said, "Your practice is obvious."

I was concerned that she didn't want the lead rope to lead me and Mag around, but she said it's fine, and she took a rein in her hand to assure me. That doesn't assure me much, cuz it's part of my controls, but oh well.

She started walking us around and doing circles and serpentines and it was so cool because Mag has really got it now, the leading game. Every time she stopped he'd slam on the brakes so fast I'd hit the front of the saddle. I would laugh and laugh. She too. She praised him and rubbed him and said, "Watch how he watches me and mimics my movements!" I said, "He's taking commands from two people, and he's really getting it."

I told her how awful he is in the woods, that we cannot get him to hold still. She said, "Why do you want him to stop in the woods? In race horse training, my husband told me, they are never ever expected to hold still. They are always in motion, because otherwise they'd go nuts. You shouldn't expect a young Arab to be able to stop and stand!"

I had made stopping a priority because of the fact the the prior owner told me he runs away with people when insecure.


What do you think? 1. After mounting never ask him to stop or 2. Keep drilling the halt.

She said, "Look, he's dropping his head in relaxation." She walked beside us not holding on, but hunching over simulating a dropped head position, to see if he'd copy her, and he did, a little. She was giggling. I said, "T is silly, T is lustig!"

The entire time I was taking deep breaths into my stomach and coasting on my feet, not dropping my heels (I often press my heels too low when worried).

T said, "What a good boy you are" and reached her face near his as we walked, and kissed him

Finally I said, "I think I'm good. Can I try it alone?"

She went over and sat on the mounting block and Mag said, "Wait, we were having fun, what is this!"

I did small serpentines and T said, "Why do you keep turning him so tight? Let him go!" I thought well this is the way I'll feel most safe, and the way to see if he responds to my leg aids as well as the reins.





Ironically, Mag kept stopping out of the blue, when I was...uh...too relaxed? I had to nudge him forward, "Keep going, you can keep going!"










He's totally the opposite horse of the one I ride in the woods.  I understand, but the difference with him was so remarkable.

T said he had to pee and I said, "No, that's just him. He's uber-relaxed horse." (I captured these images from a little film she made, just a few seconds, but I was careful to only captures the rated G photos. My family sometimes reads my blog!)




I am happy to see that in these photos his ears are on me the entire time. I'm confused about how his poll is not the highest point of his neck even though he's slightly before the vertical. Can someone explain that?





We did some more serpentines and circles and then I was just so happy I jumped off, right in the middle of her filming. She said, "I just took a film of you dismounting!" I said, "Great, I don't have one of those!"


I dismount differently - I kick both feet out of the stirrups, put a hand on his neck and a hand on the saddle, and vault to the ground. You can see Mag is not used to my way here.

I rubbed him and praised him and loosened the saddle and took out the bit and told him he's the best horse ever, and then we put him in one of their elephant paddocks (truly, like the fencing at the zoo) and he leaned his head on the top rail...

....and fell asleep as we drank our coffee.

This is in contrast to last March my visit here with Mara, such a horrible day. Tami and I worked Mara for 2 hours in their roundpen with ground work and then riding but she was unable to control her fears. She was unable to accept a treat from the saddle. Then we finally left her in the roundpen and went in the house for coffee, and Mara suddenly started galloping full blast around the roundpen non stop for no apparent reason to the point where we had to come out and try to stop her because she was gonna take the place down. I was perplexed and absolutely clueless to what could cause her to do that after so often being there, but she was never calm there.

Mag drank the bucket of water that T always brings him. Room service!

I helped T set up her new grazing strip, she's like me, she only lets them graze tiny portions of the pasture all Summer.

Coffee finished, I hugged her and thanked her and asked her to send me the photo she took of my first "alone ride" on Mag in Nordrhein Westfalen.

She said it's not necessary that I pay her, because I offered today, and that I should come more often. But she often says that but it doesn't work out for odd reasons. 

But today I learned Mag might actually be the horse I thought I bought.

And that gives me hope.

15 comments:

Camryn said...

I have a feeling great things are ahead for you and Mags.

EvenSong said...

Woo Hoo!
I had missed yesterday's teaser post, but I know how it feels to finally get on and ride! The other day, Maddie was sore-footed from her trim, and I didn't realize it until we actually got to our dressage lesson. I cancelled the lesson, but got on and just sat for a few, because I had been avoiding her all week. Sometimes that's a big accomplishment.
Congrats on your ride. You both look super!

TeresaA said...

That was a great session. His poll is not the highest point because he's stretching out into a training level frame. It's okay for where he is and I wouldn't try to change it.

Kitty Bo said...

Of course you should keep drilling him. Avoid making excuses for him because of his breed. Some are valid, but basic training things, you keep asking. Yes, Arabians can have ADD--Arabian deficit disorder, but that is why you stay persistent. A little bit of maturity and a lot of baby.

Khanalee was actually happier in arenas because the fence was a protection against the wooly buggers waiting to get him. Once outside of there, you never knew when THEY might try and pounce on you.

The one time I rode Maguire in a "woods," Maguire was nervous. Once we were back out into the open, he relaxed,sorta.

You're doing a good job. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Keep drilling the halts! Glad you two are settling in and getting comfortable with each other. Keep doing whatever makes YOU comfortable with Mags. Trust your gut...you know what YOU want in a horse.

carol said...

I think it is important to be able to stop your horse on the trail or the arena and to have them be immobile. Just being patient. I need to be able to take a drink, remove a jacket, or look at a map safely. So glad you are finding happiness in your horse. Best wishes, and Happy trails

AareneX said...

Can you hear me cheering?!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm happy for you. Hopefully, it is just a matter of the arena owner needing to feel more comfortable with you, and she'll continue to be supportive. You dismount like I do. People tell me it's bad for the knees, but it's better than getting a foot caught in the stirrup and pulling a groin muscle.

Anonymous said...

I think he'll be a better horse than what you bought. My old mentor always said " when in doubt, go forward." I always found it was the quickest way to work things out. Standing still is a reward.

ellie k said...

I hope Tami does not read your blog. The pictures are beautiful. So happy to see you riding.

lytha said...

Camryn, I hope you're right!

Evensong, aww you just sat there: )

Teresa, Oh no, I won't mess around with that for a long time. He has no idea how to even carry a bit, he fusses with it still.

KB, you mean when she said that hotblooded horses should not be required to hold still when mounted? Interesting. I know that Sheila Varian had her method of training her Arabians that struck me as different than most cowboys would train most horses. She seemed to use much less pressure. I don't honestly know if Arabians should be trained differently, because I've mostly only been around Arabians. But the principles of good training should be the same for every breed - reward the smallest attempts to create willingness. Hm.

Kris, I do trust my instincts but it's nice to hear your opinion too.

Carol, I expect horses to be able to hold still so I can look at my map/compass but I don't know exactly when people usually start expecting this. Right away, or later?

Aarene, wish I didn't buy yet another green horse (three times out of three?) but I have a feeling he'll be fantastic someday.

NM, people pick on you for the way you dismount, and you dismount in a way that I consider safer than the typical way? Geez.

Redhorse, forward is always the answer, almost always: ) And I see that standing still in an arena is a reward for Mag, because arenas are boring circles. But I don't want to know how exhausted he'd have to be in the woods before standing would be rewarding!

Ellie, You're right. I removed that passage. However she doesn't speak or read English, so I doubt she could find my blog, which is not searchable in Google unless you know the specific terms in the name of my blog. I always feel pretty safe that Germans won't find it - also, my name isn't Lytha. I often reference the world of blogging to S, but I never say the "b" word. I say, "Internet forums" and "my acquaintances in Internet forums." Am I a liar pants on fire!?!?!?

HHmstead said...

Nice looking horse! Sounds & looks like a darn good ride too!

Betsy B said...

So happy for you and Mag!

irish horse said...

So great! So glad you got access to the arena. Yes, you can have him halt. Whenever you need to! I still do on trail, there are necessary times (just listen to me, or take a photo, or stop for that rattlesnake!) But I also learned after frustrating my horse (a lot, he was very patient) that halting because I was nervous wasn't helping the situation, that he needed to keep his feet moving and brain engaged. Halting and standing is useful, but halting, standing and then backing or sidepassing is even better, as it keeps their brain engaged instead of standing there "bored" of the arena. But your experience will vary of course, that is the fun and frustrating thing about horses.

For me, I finally had to push outside my comfort zone and let him "go." Not that we were careening down the trails (or the arena, because we used that too)…but he had a forward trot that seemed SO much faster than I was used to. So we'd trot, till I felt uncomfortable, THEN pushed past that a bit longer before I'd ask to slow/halt/etc.

You'll get there. It's a process, and you're doing all the right things to turn Mag into a solid citizen.

Achieve1dream said...

Yay!!!!!! I hope she lets you ride there more often. Surely she will since you are even helping her with chores and stuff!

Definitely drill the halt now!! Not doing it now is just.... uhh... dumb. To put it nicely. You can't let a horse get away with stuff just because it's young and then completely change the game later and expect them to just be a grown up horse because you decided it should be. I am totally 100% a fan of the way you train. I think you do it the right way. Don't let them try to convince you otherwise.

I dismount the way you do as well (unless in a western saddle, although sometimes I do then too). I tried dismounting with one foot in the stirrup a long time ago, but that doesn't work in an English or Aussie saddle on a tall horse. It is much safer to have our feet out of the stirrups. I've gotten mine stuck on a tall horse before and almost fell. I'm lucky that horse was an angel. :)