Monday, May 9, 2016

Naughty, and then better

Last Sunday we went out again for a little mini ride where my wonderful husband leads my horse and I ride. It went badly. I've been depressed all week about it, but now I feel better.

Last Sunday Mag was snorting the entire time we led him to the woods, and for him to do that is not normal. It was windy out, and it had been snowing and hailing, so his body was tense. I can just look at him standing around and tell he's clenching his muscles trying to stay warm, his tail tight on his butt. I scraped ice off the car yesterday, and today it's shorts weather, so it's hard to know what to do with blanketing.

Anyway I said to J, "This is not the horse I want to ride today. He's not himself. He's not happy, he's almost spooky!" But J talked me into climbing on. And as soon as I asked him to stand still after I mounted, Mag bucked. Not a dislodge-the-human buck, just a "I hate this! I shouldn't have to do things I don't want to!"

It unsettled me. But my man was right there and he's starting to actually enforce things with the lead rope, and when Mag bucked, he jerked on the lead rope and scolded him. At the same time I was cuffing him on the side of the neck, really scolding him!

Then we practiced just walking and stopping for a while, and Mag was head tossing, bit chomping mad. He kept trying to bite the reins, his favorite trick. On one stop he bucked again, and got scolded from both of us. I was thinking there's no way I'll have a horse that bucks, I'm not going to put myself at risk....but he settled and we finished on a good note. At least, for the horse. I was in a bad state.

I've asked for the use of the fancy arena, but the lady is either ignoring me or coming up with funny excuses - "I've had a stressful week, I need to rest." (What does my using the arena have to do with her stress? I can come when she's not there, as I often have.) Like I said, she's unpredictable. Overly nice one day, saying I should come by more often, and then giving me excuses why I can't when I try to make a date. It's incredibly frustrating. My husband understands my frustration and he wants me to offer to give her a set amount of money per month to be able to use her arena anytime. I think it's a good idea, except I don't think she'll accept it. She's simply too protective of her things (kind of like me). I'll keep asking though. I don't have other options.

S told me I should use her trainer. I said, "In the woods or in a parking lot?" She said maybe he'll agree to that. We'll see.

Today is Ascension day, national holiday. And it's gorgeous out, shorts weather (68F). My car has a layer of yellow pollen all over it, and Mag's nostrils are yellow from breathing.

I was planning on working on my fences and washing the car, or perhaps putting seeds in the ground again to see if this time they sprout.

J said, "Wanna ride your horse?"

"No. Not at all."

"I'm offering to go with you and help you. And think of this - you've ridden him 5 times now. Only 2 times has he been bad. That's less than 50%. We need to improve that number."

"I married a math teacher. (sighing) OK I'll change."

Mag, loose, held perfectly still for me to groom and tack him up, enjoying the sunshine on his back. I noticed I could almost see his ribs, and he has veins showing in his neck and belly from his low body fat. His brands are almost visible still, but not quite.

I walked him to the house to wait for J and he stood sleepily beside me, lookin' like a grown up horse, nibbling our roses.

J came out, wearing a Northern Exposure tshirt (he's normally got a lot more layers than I) and we slowly made our way up the street. J walks much more slowly that I do (I "mall walk") but Mag was good and stayed behind us.

Mag did not snort at anything. He did spook when a deer bolted through the woods next to him, and it was the same place where I experienced the same thing with Mara. But the deer had her trembling in fear for several minutes. Mag's reactions are normal.

I led a very calm horse to the bench and got on, and we just stood there. When we started walking, his walk was extremely forward and tense and I was having trouble keeping him from running over J. We practiced stopping and he tossed his head and bit at his reins in frustration. J suggested I make him touch both my stirrups and I did. Mag eagerly bites at them, touching is not enough.

At one point Mag tried to whirl around, back up, and fuss, but we both got on his case to hold still and he did. I was annoyed, "How many people does it take to get you to hold still?"

We went to the pasture full of Icelandics and just hung out there, with J tapping on the two metal gates, trying to distract Mag.

Finally we turned around for home and each time we stopped, Mag turned his nose to J like, "Comfort me, you who always offers comfort!" and J pet him and praised him, with me rubbing his neck too.

He was finally walking with a loose back and I was able to enjoy myself. Then J said, "Let's trot." I said, "I know you're a schoolteacher, always wanting to push your students, but can't you let me enjoy our little success at a calm walk?"

No.

So J started jogging and I trotted beside him, no problems. Then we did it again. It was fine. No worries. J was pleased. I was surprised.

I finally jumped off, praised Mag and rubbed his face, loosened his saddle, and felt very glad that today went well.

As we reached our pasture, I told J to go on home without us, I was going to reward Mag by letting him graze the lush grass and dandelions between the road and our pasture. I realized too late I needed to get the bit out, and Mag was reluctant to give it up, "But I just worked so hard getting that mouthful of grass, don't make me lose it!"

I happily stood with him for 45 minutes, watching honey bees pollinate the dandelions before Mag ingested them.

An antique tractor went rumbling by and Mag actually spooked, but instead of spooking forward, he spooked backwards!

Then a motorcycle came by and slowed down politely. Then slower. Then stopped completely next to us, startling both of us. What!? Do I know any motorcycle people? I laughed when I saw it was the Appy owner Christiane. I knew she did motor-rallies, but I didn't know she knew how to ride a motorcycle alone. I said, "Wow, motorcycles never STOP for us!"

Mag wanted to chew on her motorcycle but I pushed his curious face away and made him keep eating. We talked for a while, she's been ill but has had her trainer continue to work May, her beautiful Appy mare. She offered to go riding with me when I feel ready. I said it may be a while.

May isn't a good example for young horses, she's a bucking fighting thing. In fact she made Mara look great when we rode together those two times.

I told Christiane that Mag is a lot like May - opinionated and touchy about you putting your leg on his side. Also rebellious, not inclined to obey without comment.

I invited her over for BBQ and hope she'll come. She's a genuine person, I really like her, but she's very busy and will let 2 months go by before she answers my email.

When we got home Mag just stood there dreamily as I untacked him, and then I put KBryan's Equi-Spot on his belly and jawline, because I've knocked a couple of crawling ticks off him this week. I've also knocked them off myself, ugh.

I feel a lot more hopeful than last week. I know he has a good mind, that he's a normal horse, not a freak. I just need a little support now, in the form of someone accompanying me, or an arena, and that's not easy to get.

Since I have no photos lately, I'll give one from 2006 (?) when Brandi and I stayed at a guest ranch in Easton Washington and then rode up to the snow line.

My good (lease) mare looks exhausted in this photo. I sure miss riding her, she was the perfect horse.  I had those cool half chaps with the tabs instead of zippers. Wish I could find those again. All the tack in this photo is with me today in Germany: )



9 comments:

AareneX said...

Your man is The Best. I suspect you already know this, but you need to tell him that I think so, too! Santa Jim says "extra books and toys for J this year!"

I need to refer Diana to your blog, she's got a youngster now, too (final approval for Freya goes out on Wednesday, assuming everyone has fun on their first trail ride together on Tuesday).

It's Spring here. I planted tomatoes yesterday and my squash plants are already 1/2" tall!

lytha said...

Aarene, you mean Duana? Tell me more about this "test ride"! Freya is a beauty queen: ) And I love her name.

I was able to harvest some salad today form the green house, and as I tore out the weeds in there, I saw some bean sprouts, so I stopped. Hm!

TeresaA said...

YOur partner is a great person- I can't imagine Ed leading me! I had a whole weekend on creating a calm center so that the horse feels safe with us. I wonder if you are tensing in anticipation and he's reading into that? He's a very sensitive horse so it would make sense.

AareneX said...

(yes, sorry DUANA, stupid spell check)

She's had Small Fry on a 30 trial, but hasn't ridden her on trails yet (Dory has taken her out, but Du hasn't) until TOMORROW! Stay tuned. She's a nice mare, but YOU would think she's too dainty. Dr Washburn says she's capable, though, she cleared the PPE with flags flying.

Camryn said...

I was worried reading the naughty part. So happy, things went well next time out. Kudos to J. for offering support and encouragement.

kbryan said...

So glad you had a positive ride. That is so sweet of J to give you a hand with Mag. I know you look forward to riding him on your own, and I hope that will be soon. You still have some Equi-Spot left? That's great! We'll have to work on getting you another batch!

irish horse said...

I am so glad J "made" you ride. sometimes it's that motivation we need. I think Mag just needs more rides, like any young horse, repetition, repetition, then something interesting so he doesn't get bored, and more repetition. I am so glad you did some trotting. That is a "fun" thing for Mag, so it's all a positive experience.

lytha said...

Teresa, I learned alot this week from your posts. My horses often chomp the bit in anxiety. It might be tension in my body , even as you say, I feel loose enough to fall off in a coma! Your blog is awesome. Your clinic, oh my, you did well.

Aarene, I saw that Freye was a dainty sculpture, but with Duana, no problem. Of course if she were for sale in Europe they would say no one over 80 kg. : (

Camryn, thank you for that.

KB, I have some left ...somehow? Perhaps our bugs were not as bad last year, or that I combined it with fly spray enough. I appreciate what you sent, and I cannot part with the sweet note you included, it's still in my barn.

Irish, Wish you were here get on the Major-youngling. Seriously, come. Wanna see Duesseldorf or Cologne? I will host you.

Achieve1dream said...

That all sounds totally normal and actually a LOT like how Chrome was when I first started riding him out!! Hubby started out leading us too, then just walked with us, then starting riding his bike with us and now I can go out alone. It took a long time because I'm a big chicken. I think you'll get there a lot quicker than I did. It's just because you don't know each other very well yet. You haven't learned his reactions to things. Once I figured out what the worse Chrome would throw at me was, I was comfortable all of a sudden. :) Keep up the great work with him!