Friday, February 5, 2016

First vet visit

I wanted my vet to come out and meet Mag and give him another exam as he did for Mara when she arrived. Afterall, he had recommended years ago that I buy a horse from Haegerhof.

I was disappointed today when it was the other guy who works there, but oh well.

He was able to get a speculum on Mag and rachet it open to check his teeth. Turns out his teeth are fine, that's good, and Mag didn't object too terribly to the speculum.

Bellis was next, and she needed a little rasping on one side of her mouth. She was good, and the vet really liked her, calling her by her full name Bellis Perennis even though I didn't tell him that. (So did the farrier.) Everyone loves a donkey.

He said Bellis is in a good weight, not too fat, and mentioned that the horse is covered in wounds. Yes, even a new one from last night.

We looked at Mag's passport and determined he's fine on vaccinations until the year's end.

Now I'm in the process of trying to switch his papers to my name. I'm very confused by this because the passport says it should be returned to the Polish Jockey Club if the horse transfers ownership, but when I asked, they replied the horse has already been registered by the German Arabian Stud Book. I asked "Who is that?" I only know one Arabian registry in Germany, the VZAP.

The vet said I have to register the horse with the German Riding Horse Association (FN). Why them? I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.....

5 comments:

Achieve1dream said...

Evil title! I thought something bad had happened! I'm glad he's in good health. :D

The registry stuff sounds extremely confusing. I think I would fail at living in Germany LOL!! I'm too sheltered to learn a whole new language and customs haha.

AmityBee said...

Congratulation on the new horse. He looks lovely.

I didn't get around to change the ownership of The New Welsh in seven years. Who cares. I have the sales contract and the "Besitzurkunde", the only actual document of ownership for the horse. If my name is on his Pferdepass or not doesn't really mean anything.

It's 10 Euros and I would have to send the Pferdepass to the breeding association he's registered with (in his case the Pferdezuchtverband Schleswig Holstein). Maybe I should do it this year... ;-)

Camryn said...

I'd be totally baffled. Glad the visit went well

lytha said...

Achieve, sorry, it never crossed my mind! Well if you had a German husband he'd make it easy for you: )

Amity, so what is up with the FN thing? Why should I pay a random registry? We already have our animals registered with the government because we keep them at home, "Vieh-halter" or something.

Camryn, thanks: )

AmityBee said...

The FN is anything BUT random lol. It's the umbrella organizations for every horse related sports or breeding association or registry in germany.

Every eqiud in the EU should have a Equidenpass by law, horse or donkey of know or unknown origin, bred for slaughter or for sport, it doesn's matter. A foal bred/born in germany will get an Equidenpass once it's registerd with a breedinga association. Horses that are imported or not eligible with a breeding registy get their Equidenpass through the FN.

I have no experiences with foreign papers. What kind of Equidenpass do you have for him? IF Mag is indeed already registered with a german breeding registry, then that's the place to start. If not, the FN is indeed the place to go.