Monday, October 12, 2015

PPE fail

To my utter disappointment, Majour (mah-ZHOUR) failed the pre-purchase exam today. First I must say how I had to wait 4 long days and then this morning, 4 long hours for the exam that would make him ours or not.

But then I got the call, and I could hear in the owner's voice how shocked and worried she was. I told her not to worry, he probably just got kicked again, but I was dismayed to find out that the vet had not finished the exam that he's promised me, he just took off after the horse turned up lame.

I called the vet, "WTH, I ordered a complete exam on a horse who has been lacking in care and has several potential issues, and you just..left?" Honestly, I wish I could be that eloquent on the phone in German. It was something like that.

He said "You don't want a lame horse do you?" No, but...

Finally J came home and I was very emotional and he said he would call both the vet and the seller if I'd like. I said "The seller please."

He sat down and talked with her a long time. I was frustrated to not hear her side, but I could tell he was calming her down.

He said, "Look, we just sold a horse who turned up lame, but it was just a reintroduction-to-a-herd injury and she's fine now. We expect Majour to be fine too in a couple days. We'll want xrays of course as a precaution, but treat the horse with any means you like, just get him to pass the next PPE and we'll buy him."

She had mentioned a homeopathic quack to me on the phone today and I said if it were my horse, it would be vet, xrays, and chiropractor.

My husband was much more flexible. He even convinced her to pay for the half-attemped PPE today, and we'll pay for the next one, the one we expect him to pass. Including xrays.

She was very agreeable and I was very appreciative of my man. He always makes things better.

He told me that he understands the vet's point of view too because if he'd continued with the failed exam, it wouldn't be as current as waiting and trying again for more current, positive results. I guess that makes sense.

He just got off the phone with his mom who had a coupon for a horsey item for us, and he chose Majour a neon green apple scented Jolly Ball. I was trying not to buy anything for a potential horse before it became my horse, but oh well.

Dein Wille geschehe....

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Well, at least there's hope that it was just an injury that will heal in a couple of days. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

irish horse said...

Damn. Not the update I wanted. I hope it was just a bad day, all the horses have them, especially the underfed, crummy-pasture that Majour has. I am glad your husband can call them and help figure out the language barrier, sounds like that adds to the difficulty. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next update...

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What a bummer. One time I drove 500 miles to look at a horse, and spent the night at my mother's house along the way. That night the sellers called and said I couldn't come see the horse in the morning. I said I was already in the area, and they reluctantly let me come. They didn't tell me what the problem was, but unfortunately, I could clearly see it after I dismounted the horse. The horse had an open wound in its "armpit." They said their daughter put the wrong cinch on the horse, but I had a hard time believing that a cinch could dig that deep. I was even more shocked that they rode it and let me ride it in that condition. I've always wondered what really happened to that horse to cause that injury. It was definitely bad timing.

hainshome said...

Praying for what's best for you and for him!!

Achieve1dream said...

Don't give up!! He might have just tweaked something. Fingers crossed he heals right up and passes the next exam.

Anonymous said...

Horses have the BEST timing, I swear! Sending positive vibes your way.

AareneX said...

Gahhhhh.

Your man gets a million gold stars, though. I'm glad he doesn't sell cars!

Does this mean we can dress the next horse in GREEN? >>evil grin<<

kbryan said...

What a disappointing phone call to get. But I am soooo glad that your husband stepped into mediate things. I am hoping for a clean report in a few days by a better vet. Waiting is so hard, you hang in there!

CG said...

How completely disappointing!!!! Sending all the healing wishes I can and hoping that the passes the next exam.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

fingers crossed!

EvenSong said...

Shit! The post title had me bummed for you, but reading the rest tells me it may be a temporary set-back. Fingers and toes crossed!

Kitty Bo said...

How was the horse lame? Was it a deep muscle bruise in the shoulder or was it lower leg?Please hug your dear husband for me.

lytha said...

Becky, prayers are appreciated, thanks.

Aarene, hm, what do dark horses look best in. White! Or Black! Just like pretty much all horses. OK dark burgundy too. And purple. Dark green. No, white!

KittyBo, I have no idea. The vet never even said what it was on the lameness scale - do they even have that scale here? I asked if it was visible at the walk too and he said yes.



AareneX said...

How long do we have to wait for a re-check? I hate waiting!

Gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Dark horses look very good in light, bright colors. Here's a picture of my friend Laura and her horse Penny wearing a pretty light green: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201654136066778&set=a.10151695385421099&type=3&theater

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I was crushed just reading the title alone. Your man is the BEST!! Hopefully Majour just did some thing silly (because horses NEVER do that), or found something in that awful pasture of his to get hurt on.

Hoping he is all better soon!!

Bakersfield Dressage said...

Oh ... so sorry. Izzy whacked himself in his stall last week and came up grade three lame. It happens, Hopefully this guys will right himself quickly and pass with flying colors. :0)

lytha said...

Aarene, I don't like neon. I admit in the photo she probably doesn't need to invest in reflective gear for riding at night: )

Melissa, Thanks so much. I hope you're right.

Karen, We'll see!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that - how frustrating and disappointing. Keeping fingers (and hooves) crossed that it all comes right in the end.