Thursday, May 28, 2015

London

It's 1 AM, I'm just home from London.

London, with all the songs in my head from all my favorite bands talking about it, and when I'd turn on the TV in my tiny hotel room, they'd play the Smiths.

London is something else. I wish I could describe it. It's NY city. Add a royal aspect, and lots more history. The smell is different. We sneezed 3 days, all of us, either the pollen or that persistent petrol smell - what is that?

As I'd hoped, the food and the people were the best. It's such a relief to experience such politeness again, after Oxford. I know English food isn't famous, but I love it. I'm ashamed to admit it, but a meat pasty is one of the best things in creation.

We had a lot of trouble understanding British English, to our great amusement. Every Single Time we'd ask for directions, they would be vague and somehow wrong. "You jes go down an hang a lift, it's easy, it's lovely, You jes go down and hang a rah-ite!" (Left and right were continually used interchangeably - we were so bewildered!)

"Why'd ya guh teh Oxford!" said the 12th taxi driver. Reminiscent of the Australians the day before who were shocked, "Why'd ya guh teh CANBERRA!?!"

"I wanted to see the Uffington horse  -- where I stood at its eyeball!"

"Dus ya German husbun like ya sense of humah?" (Was I funny?)

"Ya aren't gonna complyne about this fastastic wee-ther?"

"I didn't come to England for its sunshine!" (See, I speak perfect English.)

(I carried an umbrella the entire time because the security people confiscated my sunscreen (and many, many other things) at the airport. But London is full of "the brash, outrageous and free" as Morrissey puts it, and truly I didn't care to look odd using an umbrella in the unrelenting sun.)

I like candid shots. This is Buckingham palace, and my mom was not too proud to confirm that fact by asking someone, "Is this Buckingham Palace?" In this photo Joel had the umbrella in his hand, for the sudden rain that might begin. I took it from him and used it/carried it the rest of our trip. Some exhausted marathon runners are sitting in the grass.
One of the many, many taxis we took because my step father is 82 and not able to walk as far anymore. The taxi drivers were all so nice, helpful and informative, and oddly they all looked alike.
This is the attitude you must have when you taste black pudding for the first time (coagulated sheep's blood cooked til it's a briquette. I tried it twice and I'm curious how such a thing became food.
I actually looked at my watch when Joel asked, "What time is it?" Very funny.


We'd arrived in London on such a bad week. The first day, A 10,000 strong marathon. The third day, the Queen's speech, rendering transportation above ground nearly impossible. I joked, "Today I'd like to go someplace with no people." Not in London. Even "Central Park" (Hyde Park) was packed. In this photo we are watching the marathon runners pass by us in the blocked-off street. I said, "Look how good we have it, compared to the agony in their faces!" Truly, most of them were almost unable to continue at this point (signs saying "Only 200 meters to go!"), and looked so pitiful. But it was so LOUD! Everyone was cheering and stomping for them.

I hope to do a part 2 to this tale, because so much fun was had.

I am so appreciating quiet now. Enjoying the Silence, and clean air. And being able to just talk and not have everyone understand me.

8 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

You really make us feel like we are there.

Nicole A said...

What a wonderful trip! I laughed over your conversation with the taxi driver. Please do a part 2. :)

And isn't that the best feeling: being able to just talk and not have everyone understand you? I know exactly what that's like. ;)

lytha said...

Why thank you NM. I know you know I used to be a technical writer, and I'm not creative at all. I just say it like it happens.

Saiph, I'll try to do a part 2. I took so many photos, and then my mom's camera broke and she'd take mine and keep taking photos of everything. I took about 10 pics of the airplane for my trip home, because I was ec-sta-tic about getting back to Germany. Where I understand people, and they don't necessarily understand me (but I know, I know they're annoyed because I talk at slightly a louder volume than a German does, and I laugh a heck of a lot more often).

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

This brought back many fond memories for me. London is such a fun city. For years I had a t-shirt that said "mind the gap." I loved that shirt.

Kitty Bo said...

I love this! I feel like I have been.

Zoe said...

Haha you need to have a wander round other parts of England. Some of those accents even the brits can't understand. My humans father came from the north east of England at his funeral human had to interpret for The Stallion as it was like a foreign language. And of course you need to stop off in Nottingham eh oop me dook?

Achieve1dream said...

Sounds like so much fun (well maybe not the crowds)!!! I'm glad you had a good time and can't wait to read part two.

lytha said...

Melissa, I wanted that shirt, but I live in Germany and a Tube/Subway shirt just isn't the same here, since subways are as common as rocks. I especially liked the one that was simply a map of all the train lines. Oh well...

Zoe, We'd say, "Can you spell it for us?" often: )