Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tami evaluates my horse

One day 1 of Tami's visit I wanted to get her opinion of Mara. I had already written the neighbor with the Hawaiian Silver arena and she agreed that we could come over. (I'd use that place much more often if they weren't so persnickety about it, probably how I'd be if I had such a fine arena.....)

I need to say that Tami is unique amongst my Seattle horsey friends because she has less years experience with horses than others, but has availed herself of the time with alacrity.  She has devoted herself to learning horses with an intensity I've never seen. She showed me Rashid and Legerete, and she lets me ride her Morgan horse when I visit and even paid for me to have a Legerete lesson on him at her place in Carnation. I have a world of respect for her, but it was difficult for me at times to accept what she had to say. I must admit that her knowing Baasha, and talking about him in contrast with my new horse, was extremely difficult. It's not often I am with someone who knew me with Baasha, and now suddenly sees me with Mara. It kind of broke her heart to see it, and I couldn't stay frosty when she talked about Baasha.

So, up to the Hawaiian Silver. Mara has never been calm up there - the arena is built on the crest of a hill so you can see far in several directions. Indeed, I saw downtown Cologne from their kitchen window!

I started lunging Mara and she seemed fine about twice around and then she suddenly lost it and started leaping and bolting. Interestingly, Tami had predicted it the moment before she let loose. Tami yelled at me to get her stopped and it took a while, but I finally did. Although we'd been there a handful of times, and I'd ridden there a few times, I'm still nowhere near the point where I can turn her loose. She goes so crazy she will undoubtedly go through their very fine fencing.

Tami took the line and started doing close-up work with Mara. That kept her from flipping out, but she was still completely distracted - looking every which way in all directions, never really with us. Tami worked through some of the 7 games with her, and Mara does them, but not with precision and not with attention. Getting her focus that day was simply impossible. I shook my head in despair.

I asked Tami to see if she could get Mara to use the entire roundpen (17 meter diameter) but as soon as Mara hit the rail, she would start to lose her mind and feel the need to start tearing around again. Interesting.

I always felt it was important to let my horse work through her tension with speed, as long as I was in control. Of course that day I had no control, so the close-in work was required. I guess my opinion is the horse should be able to control herself, but be allowed to express herself too. And Mara always seems to really need to blow off steam.

They invited me in for coffee and cookies and we could watch Tami work from the window. Tami uses a lot more praise than I do, and a lot more thinking breaks. Try as she might, though, the horse would not come in to her or hook on in any way, even on the lunge line. She did some side by side walking, stopping together, then backing together, and the property owners were very impressed by that pretty trick.  Since they are relatively inexperienced with horses, I was wondering if they thought Tami taught Mara the games and the mirroring exercises at that very moment, instead of understanding that I had taught her those things this last year. I was feeling down and defensive, but the neighbors were kind and kept saying I simply need to come over more often and my horse will settle down. See, they say that, but then they also say no riding within 2 days of rain, and it's been raining all year.

Then for some insane reason we wanted to ride a little.


 

First Tami got on, and instantly employed the one rein stop because she was skittery due to the next door neighbor's construction work. Tami had about the same level of focus as when on the ground. The horse complied, but with divided attention. As soon as she had some small successes she jumped off and told me to get on. The photos show the moments of calm - we didn't think about photos when Mara was upset.


Mara thinks, "Another new person, hmmmm."




Tami tries to offer Mara a treat, which Mara sniffs but refuses because she was too stressed to eat it. I hope you can see in the photos how we are on the top of a hill, with lovely terrifying views in almost all directions.


Then Tami said what almost everyone else has said who has ridden my horse:

"This horse has absolutely no trust in its rider."

No idea why. She doesn't act like an abused horse. Tami says it's just the way she is.

I had just drunk 2 cups of coffee and I usually avoid caffeine so my entire body was buzzing. It felt good until I was actually on my horse, who did not need that extra stimulation. Something crashed loudly next door and my horse spun around. One rein stop again. Then it was just a matter of keeping her from bolting, and bending her in half almost continually to prevent that. I wanted to cry.



I need more photos like this; I love candid shots.




I'm asking her to keep her head at this level as we walk, and thinking, "Oh crap what now?" as she tries to fling her head up.








Our mounting routine - touch both of my feet.




Tami must have said something funny because I'm smiling while my horse says "Danger!"




I had no idea my violet shoelaces would look absurd with my black outfit. In this photo you can see that I tend to lean back when I ride. Hrm.




Looks like harmony. Felt like time bomb: )




Mara says "It's just not safe here."




Wow that's a sexy helmet. I must buy a white one (Troxel Liberty - their newest el cheapo). Mara is thinking, "We didn't die....yet..."

So....I had this audience standing there, the property owners, and they were getting a good glimpse of when things go bad, and I was humiliated. Tami kept giving me instruction nonstop but honestly all I could do was bend and turn repeatedly. At one point I remember she said "Don't you get off now, she's a total mess." So the fun continued. Finally we got a tiny bit of her mind back for a moment and I jumped off. I suppose I could think of it this way - they got to see how some riders behave under stress, with all the untracking and one-reining (which neither of them had heard of before this day).

The owners told us to unsaddle her and let her roll. What do you think, did my horse roll? *lol* No way, too tense. We all went inside because the owners were freezing (we weren't cold at all, we're Americans) and we drank coffee and ate strange puffed rice chocolate squares. Then Mara decided it was all too much, and started racing full speed around the roundpen. She was running so fast we were sure she'd injure herself so we all went out and tried to get her stopped. (And this is after maybe 1.5 hours of work in there!) OK then, no letting her loose in the roundpen for a while.

One of the owners said, "Did you notice how often your horse looked to you when Tami was working with her?" Honestly I hadn't, but I'm starting to see a pattern. On another day Tami was working Mara in my pasture and said, "She looks at you to see if everything's OK." That's nice to hear.

We thanked the owners profusely and headed home. On the way, Tami said that my leading style is tense. She said the way I hold my arm away from my body represents a braced feeling to the horse, even though my rope is hanging down and my horse is a meter behind me. I thought about this and realize that it's one more way I protect myself. I don't want the rope near my legs (or hers)  - I've seen her panic so many times I want to keep myself safe, so I keep my hand about 12 inches from my hip, angled behind me. Strange how this horse has changed me.

Tami said that Mara is very sensitive to the rope and rope halter but lacks precision. That Mara needs to learn to seek comfort from people and not simply from movement. She also encouraged me to use the Resnick "Sharing territory" approach, something I do, but not exactly as the method instructs. At Equitana Tami met a Legerete trainer who she hooked me up with. She wants me to have a good experience with Legerete after my bad one. We'll see if I can manage that!

***

Tami left on Friday for Bavaria where they supposedly serve pretzels with butter: )

Today, over a week later, I took Mara back up to that roundpen. I ground drove her the way there, and  started out with ground work. I'm trying to teach her a "come to me" cue that Tami suggested, that simply doesn't work if she's distracted at all. Funnily when she's calm, it works perfectly. Apparently even my treats aren't worth coming to me for.

Since Tami left the Buck Brannaman CD set (7 Clinics) I've been immersed in Buck strategies, and Tami also believes the importance of the horse being allowed to come to the person for comfort, as long as the horse can go back out of your space again when you're done cuddling. So I started that today.

As before, keeping my horse close on my NH line and doing ground work kept her from flipping out. As soon as I put her on the longe and asked her to trot, she started throwing herself up in the air crow-hopping and she hit the end of the line and bumped herself in the face pretty hard. I told her "I did nothing, that was you punishing yourself for rambunctious behavior."

She didn't do too much of that before settling down. But when the neighbor's construction started up, she bolted so badly I saw my life flash before my eyes even as I stood safely on the ground. Anytime she offered to blast around, I simply made the circle about 5 meters and kept her nose tipped in toward me. That made an impression and it wasn't long before I had a good calm walk.

Then some neighbors walked their dogs right next to the roundpen (the pen is built directly beside a public trail, woe is us!). I asked her to back back back back toward them until they were even with her and her panic lessened. I must say the location of this place is totally ideal if you want to work through distractions.

Then she finally switched and was able to just walk, and walk we did, for a solid hour. I was reveling in her calm state of mind, and was inclined to stay there all day hypnotized by her relaxed walk. 

In total we were there 1.5 hours and on the way home I stopped to sit on a bench a while and let her prove to me she can stand perfectly still and wait for me without fidgeting.  Good girl.

I look forward to the day she's as calm up there on the hill as she is across the street at Herr S's place.

11 comments:

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I can't think of any advice to offer you. Mufasa has never been as explosive as Mara; he held it all inside but rarely acted on it. Mara does seem to be afraid and horses don't go there by choice. She needs to learn to trust people and I have no idea of how to accomplish that. It seems to me that you are trying everything and that you have her best interest in mind. Mark Rashid is going to Europe later this year; I wonder if he'll be anywhere near you.

Cricket said...

Perhaps it is time to let this mare go and wait until you are healed a bit more from Baasha's loss before getting another horse. Perhaps a different breed would help, because there wouldn't be so many visual and emotional reminders of his loss.

AareneX said...

I want to put BOTH of you on a plane directly to Fish Creek!

Nina said...

Hey Lytha, while reading this post I could really feel how hard this must be for you.
It's always hard to judge from distance and you didn't ask for advice, but I want to tell you that you probably do most things right, it just seems to me that you and Mara need a lot more time and patience to get where you want her to be.
Sometimes I like to take things one step back. I'm pretty sure you already thought about this: How about taking her to the round pen and just be with her. Don't work. Brush her in the round pen, give her a good scratch, make Mara feel comfortable with you in this very scary place.
I also agree with what Anette Mickelson said in her comment.
You'll figure it out if you are just patient enough and don't give up. I experienced many times where I thought it would never work out but I kept going and solved my problems. You can do it too if you really want it. The question is: "Do you really want it?"
Nina

lytha said...

Annette, from reading Mark I know what he'd say about developing trust - he'd say be consistent. Next month it will be two years that I've had this horse, and I feel I've been consistent but apparently not in a way that helps.

Karen, if I had a grey purebred I'd have a visual reminder for sure. She's pretty much the opposite horse as Baasha, which helps. But I will sell her by the end of the year if things don't start improving.

Aarene, you north of Seattle people sure have it good up there.

Nina, since you likely haven't gone back and read the last 2 years of my blog, I'll say that I often take her to the woods and just hang out with her until she's calm. Either standing near her or tying her and sitting on a bench until she calms down. When I go up to that roundpen/arena, it takes me a half hour just to get there, so I'm inclined to do groundwork at least. We're looking into options for building our own roundpen, if we can manage it inexpensively (probably not...).

2 Punk Dogs said...

The question "do you really want it?" is probably meant to motivate, but it rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously she really wants this to work out! The amount of time, thought and effort that Lytha has been putting into this horse could have made a much bigger change on another horse by now.
So glad Mara is looking to Lytha for support! That's a good change. :)

lytha said...

2 Punk Dogs,

Thanks for standing up for me. Nina hasn't been reading my blog all along so she doesn't know what I've been doing. It was nice of you to say that I'd have made more progress with another horse. It made me think, "How ironic" that I insisted on buying a mature, already started horse as opposed to a baby because now I'm thinking a baby would be easier.

L.L.E said...

Something I've found with my horse who sounds an awful like Mara, is that this behavior never completely goes away. I've been working at it for 4 years. It's always there, but if you stick with it, it can and will get better. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to figure out this cute little mare you have--that saddle looks SOOO comfortable btw!

In our situation (me and my arab, Rosie) I've decided that it's up to me to anticipate explosions before they happen, if I can, it requires much more awareness of my horse than I ever thought possible--start talking to the company I'm riding with, take my legs off a little or start taking pictures of the gorgeous scenery and we loose it-- My little horse needs more direction and security from me than I've ever seen a horse need and it can be exhausting :) It makes it very difficult to go on rides with other people with this horse because I'm either having to get off and work through issues or we are stopping and waiting for her to calm down. It's just the way it is right now and I am accepting of that...It's getting better though--Her energy does have some kind of electric effect on some of the other horses when on rides--puts them on edge. I'm careful which horses I take her out with because of that.

I hope you stick with it, it sounds like you are on the right path with her and she's lucky to have you as her owner. Think of all the stuff you're learning in the process!! These are our teacher horses right? :) They only make us that much better for any other horse we end up working with, that's for sure!



Nina said...

Hey lytha,

sorry if my comment was inapropriate but you already mentioned it, I just came around your blog about two weeks ago for the first time.

I want to apologize if you got the feeling that somebody has to stand up for you against my "words". They were not supposed to sound that way (maybe because english is not my first language). Actually I just wanted to tell you, that it seems like you do things right, that I understand how hard it must be in this situation. Im really sorry, this is awkward.

But still I want you to know that with "I'm pretty sure you already thought about this" I already had a feeling that you tried it that way before. From the few posts I've read I can tell that you care a lot, that you invest a lot of time and nerves, probably.

Anyways, I enjoy reading your blog and hope you and Mara make some progress. But I can totally understand that you might want to make a decision by the end of the year.

I'll continue following your story!

Nina

lytha said...

Laura, I try to follow your story with Rosie because it's so similar to mine (and cuz you live near my home!). I appreciate what you offered here. I know you have other horses to enjoy simultaneously as you work with Rosie and I admit I'm a little jealous. But did you say FOUR YEARS?! Oh my. I don't think I have it in me to go another 2 years struggling and not enjoying. It's great that you have companions to ride with who help you through your issues without (much?) complaint. I really need this. I need the freaking BCHW!!! I am certain that if I had regular thoughtful riding companions, my horse would be improved more quickly. But I simply do not. I have 2 friends who understand my horse's issues, and they haven't ridden with me since last Fall. It's amazing to me that I live in horse country and so few horse people will ride with me in a helpful manner. Anyway, I love watching your farm and garden improvements, so pretty! Maybe we can hook up in July?

Nina, Thanks for that. I thought of you this week when I wore my "LuxAir Cargo VISITOR" reflective vest as I walked/rode my horse. Next time you're there, try to snag one.

Achieve1dream said...

I totally know that 'it looks like harmony, but feels like an explosion waiting to happen'!! I get that feeling with Chrome. My husband tells me to suck it up because he can't feel what I'm feeling. When looking at him it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with Chrome, but you can sure feel it. Sheesh! I'm really hoping with more time and experience Chrome gets past all of that because he used to be so brave, confident and laid back.

I'm sorry things still haven't improved with Mara. I like the suggestions your friend made and I hope they help. If not, at least having your deadline gives you a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep working away at her and we will see what happens when the time comes. I know it feels like you haven't made progress with her, but I've been following since you got her (two years?? how has it been that long??) and she has improved. Just the fact that she looks to you is a good sign. Eventually she will realize she can trust you. I wish I could get inside her brain and figure out where her fear issues come from.

I know you've tried stuff, but my memory sucks.. what have you tried for anxiety? I think you tried magnesium but you're having trouble finding a source right? I wonder if horses can have anti-anxiety meds like humans and dogs? I forget what they are called without looking them up (prozac maybe or is that for depression?), but it might be worth looking into. I am, in general, a laid back, relaxed person, but when my anxiety flares up I'm exactly like Mara (well not exactly, I hope you know what I mean). I see danger everywhere and I can't escape it no matter what I do. It makes me jumpy and paranoid. I can control it to a degree because I understand where it's coming from and that the fear is not real. If a horse had an anxiety disorder they would have no way to know it's not real. They would just have all of this adrenaline coursing through their bodies for no reason at all and have no idea how to escape it. I guess I'm trying to say I can kind of relate to how Mara feels... afraid of everything and trapped inside her own body. I'm sorry. It really sucks.

P.S. Yes I'm know I need to be on anxiety meds, but I'm trying the mind over matter method first lol. Or I'm in denial. ;)