Thursday, February 26, 2015

KT rode Mara alone and did not die

I must say it like that because she actually said, "If I die out there, it's your fault!" I said, "Oh, not Mara's?"

I think that is a pretty unprofessional thing for a teacher to say to a student, and in all honesty, if there were more trainers in my area.....

I had Mara looking beautiful in newly washed tack and her necklace and mane beads. I was washing J's car because I knew last week I'd told KT, "You must remember this loop because I won't be coming with you next time."

Selective memory, she sometimes forgets my verbal plans for the next lesson. Last week she forgot that she said I would be allowed to bring the donkey along for our next outing. Huh.

Since losing the arena, I've had KT here three times now. The first time, she consented to ride (on a tight rein) if I accompanied her. The second time, she was in a bad mood I suppose because the first thing she said was, "You're riding today, not me." I had to change, she had to wait a couple minutes for that. I complied, and she accompanied me on the closest-to-home loop. I felt bad for her on those hills but like most Germans, she declined to grab Mara's tail and let Mara help her along. Really, Mara doesn't mind that at all!

Today she was in the darkest mood I've ever seen, and the first thing she said was, "I can't ride your horse today, I'm having a bad day, I had a fight with my BF." I said, "Would you like to come back another day?" She said "Both options are Scheisse." I, again, compromised.

"I'll accompany you for half the loop if that helps. Are you afraid?"

She said it's just not a good day. Mara stood there actually looking almost sleepy waiting for KT to put her riding clothes on.

It was a "good Mara" day, thankfully. I finally left them alone, and so wanted to see what happened....

10 minutes after I got home, they arrived. No smiles, but apparently no need for the safety vest she had on under her winter jacket. I said, "And?" "She's fine, nothing bothered her except that house with the chickens."

I was so happy that  nothing went wrong, after her threat that it would be my fault if she died.

She said "I want to see you on the horse too." I said, "I want to know if it's me, or the horse, who's causing the issues, and the only way is to have other people ride her." We'll probably be compromising on that in the future as well. (Is she that scared?)

She said, "The only thing that really scares me out there is slippery footing. I really have a problem with that." I said, "I cannot promise that the next few months will be any better than now, but barefoot, Mara has little issues with footing."

She praised Mara a lot, and gave her a cookie. I praised her too, in chorus with KT. I hope Mara understands what we mean when we say Braves Maedchen!


I tried to tell her about "Bipolar Mara" earlier this week, but I could see that she didn't want to talk to me, she was checking her phone, so I gave her her money and said thank you, please come again soon.

2 comments:

AareneX said...

Argh.

So many frustrations here. I mean, it's good she didn't die. But still...

How long until you can move back to the Swamp, where we can surround you and your horse with support?

Achieve1dream said...

I really don't think I would like KT very much. I thought maybe she was joking, but with the mood she was in she probably wasn't. I wish you had more options for trainers... I'm glad Mara was good though! I just wish there was a way to predict her good and bad days....