Monday, February 2, 2015

Gotta stream The Shining

Today I woke up to the 4th snowfall since Friday and this time it was a lot - it came up to my knees when I went to the pasture in the dark with a flashlight looking for my equines. Why would they be out in the field when there is this much snow? I expected they were dead.




Instead I found them and Bellis had a full 6 inches of snow piled up on her back.

I went back to the barn and whistled for them to come have breakfast.

I stood in the barn and got a little video of their arrival. You can see Bellis kind of startle at me because she didn't expect to see me standing there motionless. She must have shaken the snow off on her way in.






It was the first snow where my husband looked outside and said, "I'm not driving in that" so he got today off. For exercise, I shoveled the driveway and freed his car, but the snow kept coming down so it was pointless. The cat has not set foot outside all day.



The table shows the accumulation better than anything - well, I guess the chair does too.



30cm and rising. (That's 12 inches.)



I love monochrome. Tomorrow the electric company is coming to fire lasers at our house and take thermo images to see where we're leaking energy. I am totally excited to see which areas are most red.



My car hasn't been touched for a while, it has no Winter tires. The road is directly next to my car int his photo, you can see no plow had come yet. Later the normal plow didn't come, it was a tractor thingy. It was having so much trouble pushing the snow up our hill, it left a serpentine S pattern up the street that came scarily close to my car.



Looking out the window to Herr S's fields, I love the way the oaks look.



Zoomed-in oaks. Fairy trees.



I'm trying not to kill my new camera but it got snowed on a bit.



I think Mara is nickering in this photo. Check out the little empty planter thing above her head, and the birdhouses on the side of the shed. I wish I'd recorded the way my windchimes sounded today, muted from the snow but still chiming.



This is Mara about to tip her ears back and tell the donkey to get back from the gate, hence the donkey's expression.



Synchronized ears: )

My husband asked me today how wild horses survive in America when there is so much snow. I told him the government feeds them, because they're not really wild, just feral. And otherwise, a lot of them die.

I actually kind of wish I had a sled because the snow is the perfect consistency for play. Since it's February, I'm feeling the urge to look at Summer photos, and thinking about hyacinths and pansies. See, my mom called and she is making the trip to our farm for the first time in May with my step dad. So excited! Of course I told them May, at the soonest, to avoid ice planet Hoth: )

11 comments:

Tina said...

I wish it could snow like that here on a Thursday night...so I could have a 3 day weekend lol!

lytha said...

Tina, curious where you live: )

Achieve1dream said...

I love the synchronized ears!! The snow is so pretty too, but I imagine it gets really annoying having it around so long. It rarely lasts more than a day here. I'm glad you're mom and step dad are visiting! That's so exciting!

AareneX said...

It sure is pretty...but I'm glad we have rain here, instead!

irish horse said...

It's Groundhog Day, maybe you can hope for no more winter…

But your photos are gorgeous, and your equines look happy (though like you, I'd be a nervous wreck about them out there in the snow). I never want to deal with that, though since we've never had winter here, I could take some precipitation!

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

The synchronized ears are awesome!

Tina said...

I live in Bryant, Alabama. 7 miles from the border of Georgia and Tennessee. I've lived here for almost 7 years now. I moved here from South Dakota.

Nicole A said...

Those photos are gorgeous!! LOVE the ones of the house, the fairy trees and the synchronized ears!

My two survive outside perfectly with the snow. They love it. They'll happily stand outside while the snow is coming down. :) They love having the run-in when it's windy though. They have both a heated and a non-heated water trough...Lily has decided this winter that she prefers her water ice cold and has been breaking the ice in the non-heated trough for drinks. Silly horse. (The other horses prefer the de-iced water)

The free-roaming wild horses don't get fed by the government. I think the government would be thrilled if they all died, based on the horrors they do to the horses that get rounded up. :( The true wild ones learn to dig for scrub under the snow and the survivors are air ferns, which is why you hear of a lot of mustangs having metabolic issues after domestication. (It's a common subject on mustang message boards) They really can survive with minimal nutrition.

lytha said...

Saiph, why would the BLM send auditors in Winter to ranchers who foster wild horses to ensure they're being fed, if they don't care for the other wild horses in Winter? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm referring to Pioneer Woman's husband's mustangs. The government gives them enough money every month to feed the 3,000 that they have (which involves a profit otherwise it wouldn't be worth it). Perhaps there is some unscrupulous bureaucracy happening.

Achieve1dream said...

Saiph, I keep meaning to ask you, do you think the reason Lily prefers the cold water is because of her sensitivity to static electricity?? I got shocked by water running in my sink the other day and it made me think of her. I have no idea if heated buckets create any static but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. :-)

Nicole A said...

I'm not sure there. There are groups that protect them, yes. I just keep reading about the horrors that the BLM does in the round ups: pregnant mares being made to run for miles in the heat of summer, horses getting choked out in chutes, horses panting heavily and being made to just stand in the hot sun with no water after galloping for up to 15 miles, round ups being closed to the general public. There are so many videos and photos online. It's truly awful. I'm a member of a couple of mustang groups online and it seems like we have not come very far in terms of the humane treatment of these horses by the government that rounds them up.