Tuesday, January 27, 2015

KT's first trailride on Mara

Since I have no arena and no one to ride with, I have no desire to ride my horse. I'm trying not to feel too bad about it. I'm going to spend this time walking her and grounddriving her, and paying my two trainers to ride her on the trails. If I can see or hear about Mara being good out there, maybe I'll feel like riding her myself. If there is a problem between my horse and me (probably yes undoubtedly) then these trainers will have success with her and show her that it's all right out there, and I can deal with my relationship with Mara in other ways.

For some reason KT didn't bother to tell me she didn't plan on riding today, that she'd been so injured lately in horse accidents of her own (3) that she thought she'd just accompany me as I rode. I said straight out, "I don't want to ride her, but if you do, I'll accompany you to make you more comfortable."

I must admit I had an unChristian thought when she said she fell off her 18 year old, steady Fresian. I wanted to say, "Oh, you weren't paying attention?" because when I fell off in front of her in August, she said I wasn't paying attention. I bit my tongue of course: )

KT took some convincing, and that made me pretty wary about putting her in danger. I looked at Mara, muzzle all gross from her beetpulp/magnesium mash, and noted she was very calm today, though that can change in a moment. KT told me about all her wounds, and how she'll be going to the doctor tomorrow, and how she hasn't ridden a horse since her accidents. She asked if she should wear her safety vest and I said, "You cannot ask me that, you have to know."

She asked again what Mara is like, and I said, "Typically spooky, but mostly she just freezes up and won't move. She won't try to dump you and she won't run off with you." That must have worked cuz KT put her helmet and boots on.

She went to Mara and pet her, calling her "little mouse" (German for sweetheart) and Mara seemed happy to see her again. I think Mara really likes KT.

I helped her get on and we set out to the the terrifying Roelscheid loop we had such trouble with last week. I walked in front of Mara or at her face for the most part, soothing her.

Every so often Mara would hesitate or stop completely (I guess I'm not as soothing as I thought) and KT would thump her with her heels to get her to proceed. She spooked in place a few times but that was it, nothing else happened.

Our loop took an hour, and it was fun to actually have the chance to talk to KT - she's not a talker and when I have arena lessons with her, we never get the chance, and she never stays a moment after the lesson, she's outta there.

I noticed that KT had Mara in a frame, working her from behind the entire hour, which was kind of hard work for my fat slacker horse, going up and down those hills like that. Mara was pushing from her hind end nicely and very uphill, her front legs were floating, almost not touching the ground, it made a very pretty picture. (Wish I'd taken my camera!) And of course with her head on the vertical Mara couldn't gawk at things like she wanted. I think it's OK, but not optimal, the way KT was keeping contact and asking her to use her body, but I know that it's even better for a nervous horse to be on a completely loose rein, like how Mell rides her. In a way I think KT was trying to keep herself safe by keeping Mara on the bit. *shrug*

Just as we got past the scary silage bales that freaked her out last week, and today they were a little scary too, KT asked if we were going to continue on the fast street (100kph). I said yes, no worries, the worst is behind us. But KT lost her nerve, and jumped off. She led Mara almost the rest of the way and I noted that she was kind of limping along from her injuries. I had to walk a lot slower, and that was good for Mara, who sighed a big sigh as soon as KT was off of her.

Finally KT got on again on our tiny street. I noticed she stops Mara everytime a car goes by, what really isn't necessary. She also made some excuses about the trail being muddy and not having her glasses on so she can't see the ground very well. I said the trail has never looked better since 2013 - that was nothing. A little bit of mud and lots of snow patches, but really it was easy going today when we were off pavement. (We were on pavement most of the time.)

I put Mara in her paddock still tacked but that bothered KT, she said Mara was excellent and deserves to be untacked immediately. I didn't dare mention to her that I sometimes TIE MARA UP on return and leave her tied for an hour. I'm such a cowboy, y'all. *lol*

So I hurried because I knew she had another lesson (ironically, at Roelscheid, and we'd seen the girl getting her horse as we went through there - they chatted briefly). KT gave Mara a big green apple as a thank you and I gave her some cookies too and she seemed to be pleased with herself, she started to try to rub her not-even-sweaty face on me then remembered that's not allowed. I praised her and then paid KT the 35Euros.

I told her I can't afford full hour lessons if they're every week, and it's not the length of time Mara is out, it's the number of times she's out that's important. I'll find a shorter loop next time.

She said she would like it if I accompanied her next time too, and then she'll be OK alone with Mara. Hm, after 6 months riding Mara in an arena, I would have thought she'd be fine alone, but KT is not young and spry like Mell is.

I thanked her for riding today when she didn't want to, and I thanked God that nothing bad happened.


2 comments:

AareneX said...

When Fiddle gets "toady" on trail, I immediately put her on the bit and make her WORK: shoulder in, haunches in, head down and back up at exactly the same speed we'd been going before the badness happened.

It's remarkably difficult to spook from that position.

(Wish I'd know how to do that stuff with the original Toad! The tools I had for training him were vastly inferior)

Achieve1dream said...

Interesting ride. I'm glad KT rode and that Mara was fairly good. Why was KT so hesitant? Because she was injured or is she always that way? Do you think Mara responds better to Mell's more confident personality?