Friday, January 23, 2015

"It'll be horrible.....unless you prove me wrong again."

Yesterday I took Mara on that same verfluchte loop as the day before where she had several mini heart attacks. I didn't ground drive, I just had her at the end of my long lead.

She was kind of dragging the whole time, which is different for her, but it was nice to have her stay way back behind me and not use my body as a shield to hide behind. We stopped when we saw a cat in a cornfield hunting and playing, having a wonderful time. We watched him get closer and closer until he ran right across our path and in front of a car going by that slammed on its brakes to not hit him. Bad kitty.

Then there was this "after snow" vole tunnel. I don't know if you've seen this but when there is a lot of snow, the moles and voles make tunnels much nearer the surface, so that when the snow melts, the roof of the tunnel is gone and it's a shallow trench, not a tunnel anymore. I saw a scurrying thing and stopped again to investigate. A vole ran along his trench and then dropped down into a hole and then peered out at me, squinting in the sunlight. It was adorable, I told Mara, cuz she missed it. Then he scurried down the trench to the next hole and was gone. The trench was parallel to the sidewalk for quite a ways.

In the Winter our yard is full of molehills (I don't know why only the Winter), it's a regional plague, every garden has them at the rate of about 3-5 new hills per day. When the ground is not frozen I scoop them up because moles are my only mammalian nemesis. Get this - they are a protected species in Germany, despite them literally plaguing the country, and a few weeks ago a gardener had enough and killed a mole and got fined 1500Euros. I say that's not much, I'll keep trying to trap and kill ours. I was able to kill one a few years ago but they must have gotten smart to my trap.

Anyway, the silage bales did not freak my horse out today, and neither did the Haflingers etc. She was actually quite calm til we got to the rock and mailbox and woodpile again - those things had her snorting. I squeezed her around me, between me and those things, and she dealt with them well.

It was almost boring, the way she was behaving after yesterday. WTH Mara. See how my expectations never shape what happens?

I like boring Mara.

***

More facts about my German horsey life from my magazines:

The "A week with a vet" column said how important it is that horses get fresh air in Winter, that they be turned out into Winter paddocks during the day. And at night, that it's a good idea to shut all the doors to the barn to avoid a draft. Again with the draft, *sigh*, thinking it kills. I cannot imagine locking up a barn airtight at night for the health of horses, unless there are blizzard conditions where the snow is blowing through the barn into the stalls onto the horses' backs, and the horses are immune-compromised and can't take that. There is an inexplicable difference in Germany between wind and a draft, and I still don't get it. One kills, the other is fine.

Cavallo, my new magazine, did a study about proper attire for night riding. Obviously more reflectors is better. What I found interesting was the photo of a pinto horse at night with a car's headlights hitting it. The study said that the best horses for being seen in traffic are pintos. I thought, "How on earth is a pinto better than a pure white horse?" My husband said, "Maybe they mean a misty night." : )

The Icelandic horse association (FEIF) is trying to get the rule revoked that says flash nosebands are not allowed with curb bits. I guess the decision will be made next month.

I really like my new magazine. Every month they send riders *undercover* to take a lesson at a stable that they analyze (and smear) pretty thoroughly. I was thrilled when they criticized a barn in our area that I only visited once because the owner wasn't a person I ever need to be around again: )

14 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I like it... undercover barn inspectors. Since horses are so changeable in their moods, I keep telling myself that even when I'm planning on just taking a horse for a walk, I should still tack up just in case the horse is so wonderful that I'd rather be riding it. But then I think that if the horse is a pain, I just wasted half an hour of my day tacking and untacking.

AareneX said...

Do the barn inspectors have a checklist of stuff they look for at every place? How cool.

I like boring Mara, too. I hope you praised her A LOT!!!

lytha said...

NM, I go through the same thing. Easyboots make it even more of a pain.

Aarene, They do have a checklist for each barn: 1. The training/behavior of the horse 2. The skill of the teacher 3. The living conditions of the horses 4. Price/performance ratio (what is that in English I forget - value for money?) Most of these test lessons expose pretty crappy situations, I'm amazed. However, it could simply be editors being sensationalist and only printing bad news, *shrug*

lytha said...

Aarene, yes I praised her the entire time, "Doesn't being good feel good?" :)

Miss Toffelees said...

As long as it's only moles... I don't mean to say that moles aren't a major nuisance, but down here it's more like molehills in the front yard and a meadow completely dug over by boars behind your house right up to the fence. Staying on the trails until after dusk... not so smart! I used to do that until last summer but after the development of the last four months or so - I can do without meeting a pack of boars while riding.

Also, with reference to your post yesterday, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose horse tries to commit suicide by getting run over by a car. Today I had to dismount on the street and drag the horse off, because... oh I don't even know, to be honest. It was the same place as usual and there was nothing strange going on whatsoever. Of course imagined monsters are just SO much more dangerous than cars driving by at some 80 kmph. It was one of those rides when I couldn't help thinking of you.

AareneX said...

Cookies too, right?

Fiddle wanted me to remind you that GOOD ponies get cookies.

Nicole A said...

Your magazine sounds awesome! I'm usually able to find Your Horse, a magazine from the UK, at Barnes & Noble. So much is the same yet so different in Europe. The variety of low starch horse feeds and chopped hay available over there is light years ahead of what we can buy here!

I agree with your view on closing a barn up at night. They did that at the 2 MD barns I boarded at and it was very common for the horses to develop dry coughs and upper respiratory infections in the winter. Between the dry winter air and the dust from shavings and hay (which was stored in the loft above the barn), the horses ended up with very irritated airways. Kathy's mare, Queenie, had a dry cough last year. This year at her place she's been keeping the stall windows open at night when Queenie and Deja are in (only on rainy or very cold nights), and there has been no coughing whatsoever.

Dear Boring Mara: could you stay for good?

lytha said...

Miss T, come to Equitana so we can meet! Oh but don't tell anyone I might be with how we know each other - that's a secret. You probably haven't read my blog long enough to remember the 2 (2!) dead Wildschwein I found in my Wiese (on separate occasions). I got the Forster out right away. There's a Koederstation right next to my Wiese, and I often find corncobs lying around. Luckily they don't dig those holes too badly on our land, but I see their holes in other pastures and it freaks me out because I'm afraid to run into one. Then again, I'd love to see one someday. Did you say they travel in packs? It's so odd to see the Spuren of an animal and never the animal itself.

Aarene, my cookie jar is frozen solid in this weather: ( But kitchen scraps work.

Saiph, you found a lot of low starch feeds in the UK? I still have not seen much here at all - and I pay attention. In fact a recent issue of my magazine said how important starch is to horses.

lytha said...

Saiph & Miss T, I don't mean to sound critical of the place I live now, but I can't help it at times. I must admit I could be wrong, I'm from a very very different climate - just basically cool and damp all year, never too cold, so I shouldn't talk much about what I don't know. I need to accept it's possible that under some circumstances it might be a good thing to lock up a barn airtight. I just can't imagine it from my perspective as a Seattleite: )

Nicole A said...

Oh I know re: closing up a barn. I totally agree with your point of view. The horses are much healthier if air is allowed to circulate inside a barn in the winter, especially given how dry the cold air can get. :)And I think you're allowed to vent when you're frustrated with so many cultural differences, especially with the way some of the horse people over there are.

Regarding the low starch feeds, here are a few from the latest edition of the Your Horse UK magazine I have. They seem to have an endless variety of ration balancers too:

http://www.naf-equine.eu/uk/products/productDetail.jsp?detail_id=optimum
http://www.bluechipfeed.com/product/blue-chip-lami-light/
http://www.dengie.com/no-added-sugar/ (Dengie has so many products that are low starch/sugar!)
Spillers is another one that has a lot of low starch options:
http://spillers-feeds.com/products/racing-feeds/lay-off-cubes/
http://spillers-feeds.com/products/complementary-fibre-feeds/cool-fibre/
http://spillers-feeds.com/products/balancers/lite-balancer/
http://spillers-feeds.com/products/laminitis-feeds/happy-hoof/
http://spillers-feeds.com/products/laminitis-feeds/high-fibre-cubes/
These are just a few of many.
And more of other brands:
http://www.topspec.com/products/topspec-cool-balancer/
Topspec also has a "lite" balancer and one specifically for laminitis-prone horses: http://www.topspec.com/products/
These guys have a whole line that's barley and molasses free:
http://www.allenandpage.com/

And I'm only halfway through the magazine! :) They literally have an ad for some sort of high fiber, low-starch, low sugar feed/balancer on every 2-4 pages. Are any of those available in Germany?

lytha said...

Saiph, wow, some of those are great, really low NSC. I wonder if I'm just not aware of the German term for NSC, so I'm missing them: ) Anyway, thanks for all the links, I appreciate your help. My current pellet feed does not state the % starch, but by reading the ingredients it seems right - just the hulls of the grains, and luzerne, as the first 3 ingredients. Then again she gets a coffee mug of pellets per day to hide vitamins so it's kind of a moot point for us: ) Don't wanna see Mara souped up on grain! (Although I'm kind of curious...)

FD said...

I think we tend have more native types and ponies overall in the uk, so laminitis and metabolic awareness generally is more of a thing.

Miss Toffelees said...

Well, I've yet to come across a boar (hopefully not!) but according to our local hunters they mostly travel in packs. I don't really care to find out first-hand. ;-)

Equitana would be fun, but it is a bit too far from where I live to go there for a day. About 500km. Also, I'm planning to go Leipzig for the book fair this year, which is on the first weekend of Equitana (and some 300km from my place, which makes it just about acceptable to do as a day-trip).

Achieve1dream said...

They should make a T.V. show out of the barn inspections! That would be so cool lol.

I'm glad Mara was boring this time. I don't understand her at all!! Silly horse!