Friday, August 1, 2014

Double lunge mishap

I'm really getting the hang of the doppellonge, finding it such a great tool in so many ways. I have so much control, and my horse seeks contact, but often just stretches her neck all the way to the ground, confirming she has this freedom. I am also aware that things can go very wrong with two lines, and entanglement with lines attached to her mouth is something I'm constantly wary of.

Today at the new soft sand arena (Hawaiian Silver) we had problems immediately, even though I'd ground driven Mara the entire way there. As soon as she picked up a trot, she started flinging her head straight to the ground repeatedly, and crowhopping. I immediately stopped her and adjusted the saddle, which may have been too far forward. I have no idea if that was the issue. Surely I've put the saddle too far forward many times while lunging.

We started up again and same reaction, more violence. I stopped her and switched the lines from the stirrups to the carabiners. Oops, shouldn't have done that. They were up high, too high for Mara apparently. Although this is a preferred setting by many, because the outside line comes over the back of the horse and not over the hocks, I didn't have the surcingle with me.

Mara has been sulky about that line over her hocks, but KT told me it's OK, let her learn it never tightens, and use it as a driving aid and for lateral work. This outside rein is my brake while lunging.

The inevitable happened: the line got stuck under her tail, crupper style, and she clamped down on it and started bucking. I couldn't do a thing except steer her mad gallop smaller and smaller - I couldn't slow her, and she was running and bucking a circle about 6 meters in diameter, any closer and I'd get kicked. It just went on and on, with her panting and bucking, and me unable to loosen it for her. I was trying to not step into the excess lines at the same time, but also trying not to let my fingers get tangled up in the excess lines. So many things could go wrong as that happened.

Finally she loosened it herself, and I was able to stop her. I took off the lines and decided to try lunging normally. She had just torn a terrible circle into that deep sand, so I spent about a half hour walking it, trying to flatten it down again. I hate leaving signs of violence.

She lunged normally, but of course it's more work in that sand. After a while I put the other line back on, through the stirrups as usual, and started again, to see if we could. She was fine, just more forward than usual, and it took forever for her to do a nice jog for me.

It's 84F and 63% humidity. I thought I might have a heat stroke on that sand. Mara is sticky and has several swollen areas from horsefly bites. I have three red puffy areas from yesterday's horsefly bites.

I was quite nervous about getting on her, but she was fine. In fact, if not for the weather and the thought that we might both die out there today, I would have loved to do more with  her. I just love that arena and it's hard to leave. She was very forward, so we did transitions so I could rate her. She did some lovely leg yields at the walk and I jumped off. She didn't spook or even look at anything today, and we worked on making a 20 meter circle actually round.

Afterwards, I decided to clean up 16 piles of poop that were in this grassy strip by the arena, as a favor to the owner for letting me ride there. My own pasture is full of poop, probably stacking up on itself by now, but I get viciously attacked by horseflies anytime I try to do anything out there.

We still have a big section of broken fence where Mara broke though last week, the lines still laying on the ground. It's driving me crazy that I cannot go out there and fix it - I just closed off that area until the new posts arrive in the mail. 10 broken plastic posts, my goodness.

The owner was grateful I had cleaned up that poop, and when she saw my face she said, "Can I get you some water? You don't look so good."

I said, "No thanks, I'll make it." So I took Mara and started leading her home. Halfway there I called J and said, "Can you please make me some kool aid? I'm not sure I can make it." My wonderful Canadian kool aid sent to me last week by a blog reader, Laura! Thank you thank you!

My husband met me on the street, calling to Mara as I trudged up the hill, my shirt soaking wet in embarrasing patterns (that's never happened before, the bra area?).

I asked J to put the horse away and went in the house and drank a liter of grape kool aid, standing in front of my AC. I saw my face and it's beet red, even my forehead where the sun never touches.

Hate Summer.

I wish that lady would let me come by more often, even once a week would be great, but she's really protective of her things. She reminds me of me. Hopefully I didn't embarrass her by cleaning up poop, I am hoping that makes her want to accept my requests to come over more often. She won't let me ride there if it is raining or had rained within half a day, and despite how blazingly sunny it's been every day, it often storms at night (keeping everything nice and humid).

Sadly when I asked if I could have my dressage lesson there, she refused. No idea why, but she doesn't want me having lessons there. That totally sucks cuz KT wants to have a chance to work Mara on a flat, even surface. Oh well.

As soon as it rains, I'm going to get stuff done around here.

And go riding in the puddles at Herr S's place. I kind of appreciate that now, that he allows riding in the rain.

Hm. Maybe I can use my headlamp and clean up my pasture at night.

3 comments:

AareneX said...

I don't understand not using an are an after rain. What's up with that? Doesn't that make it completely useless almost always?

lytha said...

Since we've had so many thunderstorms at night, including last night, I imagine that arena is not getting used this summer very much. It's odd because it was built correctly, with a drainage system underneath.

Achieve1dream said...

Yikes! I'm glad everything worked out okay.. Sheesh Mara it's not that big of a deal having something under your tail lol.

That's too bad about not getting to use the arena very often but I'm glad you get to use it when you do.

I'm actually surprised by your temperature. I thought it was hotter than that there. It's been high 90F here with about seventy percent humidity... It's miserable!!! I can't believe I'm saying this but I hate summer too. I also hate winter though..... I wish fall lasted six months lol. I used to not tolerate the cold temps now I don't tolerate cold or hot very well.... Oh well. Oh and my face firms bright red when I get hot too!! So annoying! Everyone thinks I'm dying.

Headlamp and don't chores at night is a great idea if the mosquitoes won't bother you. They eat me alive at night... And during the day.... Ahhhhh summer!!!!!