Monday, July 28, 2014

Saddle fit - Wanna obsess with me? ....and Portlandia

So far I've received no help from my saddle forum and no one in blogland either, from my post showing my horse's sweat pattern, so I've been reading all day because it's way too humid to do anything outside (though I tried, twice, stupidly).

I am finding some mixed opinions, something that never happens in horsedom.

My whole life I thought a sweat pattern must be even except for the spine, but there are people out there who don't follow this tenet. (I try to use words that depict my age, and not use the freaky talk of today. I think tenet clearly places me at GenX. And apparently "big ol'" cuz today when I said I was in a big ol' traffic jam, my husband laughed on the phone, "I love it when you say big ol'!!!")

Some believe that there may be dry areas that indicate lack of movement in the saddle. These are mostly Western riders, I think. Some say a dirt pattern on a clean half pad is never a good way to analyze fit, cuz dirt is never equal on a horse. Most seem to believe what I always did.

This website is apparently a dealer for my very own saddle, and the owner writes that the dust pattern shown in the photo indicates bridging. 

Funny, I'd just seen that same photo (?) discussed in another article today, saying it's perfect.

One forum post was interesting to me, someone who said because of the mechanics of the motion of a horse vs. the saddle, the area under the stirrup bars will always have less movement, and therefore a drier spot there. 

Another said if the dry spot is more than 4 inches, it's not a pressure point, it's just, again, showing the part of the saddle that moves the least.

OK but while I'm obsessing, are dirt patterns and sweat patterns different types of fitting guides? I palpate her back regularly. I see no response front vs. back.

Is it an unacceptable pressure point on either side of my horse, or is it just showing where the saddle doesn't move? I'm happy that the dry spots are larger than 4 inches, but not happy they exist in the first place.

I've posted to my saddle forum in the past that my saddle bounces a lot while lunging at the jog, and the answer from the manufacturer was, "Our saddles are lightweight, so they bounce." Except my Wintec weighed half as much and never moved. I was glad when I saw my new wool pad eliminated any bouncing.

Hm, well, I'd appreciate any advice from you guys.

***

Funny thing I found recently in a German Western riding forum:

Someone asked about the brand of saddle called "Circle" and wanted to know the difference between their models - Y, S, and L. This I found so funny! A more experienced Western rider answered, "No, there is no saddle manufacturer called 'Circle' - they are all individual companies, Circle Y, Circle S, etc." See, Western is still catching on here.

***

Pet peeve, maybe:

I am bewildered by some kind of trend - people who buy wool pads but place a half pad underneath them, so the wool never touches the horse. (I know, a half pad is much easier to stuff in the washing machine.) I think that is like utilizing only half the benefit of wool - the cushioning, and not the sweat wicking, friction reducing properties. The next time I see someone riding with a wool pad over another pad, I'm going to ask why.\

***

Have any of you seen Portlandia?  I know, I've been living in an entertainment hole, but a dear old friend recommended it to me. 

Portland is to America what Germany is to the world, as far as how environmentally loving we are.

Then  How not to live your life Becky  sent me some clips that make me realize that living in Portland would be like, .....hm. ......Seattle++. I just can't stand to watch too much (and she agrees, it's overdone. Becky has good taste.) Last time I was in Oregon, I saw a bumpersticker that said, "Keep Portland Wierd" and the hippies that got outta that Subaru Outback meant it.. Thus, the television show.

If you haven't been to the PNW,  it will have no meaning.

And my very favorite clip from youtube, which perhaps Portlandians/Portlandians get, but in Germany, you'd better get this right. 

WAIT. My husband just found what must be the ultimate. This happened to me when I first discovered the remake of Battlestar Galactica. I was a die-hard fan (Gen X, remember) and disdained the remake, til I saw it.

And then.. 

Becky? Why did you say nothing?

3 comments:

Cricket said...

I went through this and got tired of not finding any answers, plus I couldn't get the saddle fitter out to check, so here is what I did.

I took some thick bendable wire and cut it in a 20" length. Mark on that wire with a sharpie every four inches, starting at the end. Put the end of the wire at the top of the withers and mold along the horse's spine. Take off and trace along a big piece of paper. This establishes the amount of rock you need in the saddle. Put that wire back onto the spine of your horse.

Next, take five shorter pieces of the same wire and mark the center of the piece. Lay that mark over the marks on the spine piece at four inch intervals, mold to the shape of the back and then transfer to the paper.

If you want to see where your saddle is not fitting, turn it upside down and lay the spine piece along the gullet, like it would fit on your horse. I discovered that most of my issue was with the rock of the saddle, either too long or too curved for Ashke's back. Then lay the short wires in their proper places and see where the saddle fits or does not.

Most people I know and trust want to see an even saddle sweat pattern, otherwise the saddle is not fitting correctly.

Reddunappy said...

I will have to read back and look at your pictures of the dry spots. I am of the thought where I dont like any dry spots.

I tried to watch Portlandia once, it was to weird!! LOL LOL
(realy) And I live a half hour from there! I didnt get it.

Achieve1dream said...

Sorry I'm no help with saddle fitting. Still learning. I might have to try Karen's suggestion though!! I've never heard it explained quite like that. Sounds informative.