Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Mara talks with the neighbors

6 months ago I couldn't have done what we did today - stop and talk with neighbors, as long as I liked, with a horse who didn't move a hoof the entire time.


I'd actually wondered to myself lately, can Mara actually just stop and stand when I stop and talk to a neighbor? I don't get that many opportunities.

I had stopped to ask a neighbor where she got all those Easter eggs in her garden, some of them painted in bright patterns, in baskets on the ground, most of them hanging from all the flowering trees and bushes. She spoke with me for quite a while, saying how the neighborhood used to have way more horses (no way) and how she enjoys listening to Bellis bray (really?).

She used to have horses, I think, and as she talked, she pet Mara's face and rubbed her forehead where she's shedding so much right now. She didn't just talk to me, she talked to Mara too, and Mara knew it. Mara is really friendly with strangers, and this time she knew she was being told loving things and admired, and she just soaked it up. The lady ran her hand down Mara's neck, resting her hand there, saying how nice and warm Mara was.

Finally we were on our way to our "easy trail" which was not so easy, poor Mara really thinks something is gonna get her out there, so we'll just keep doing it until she can relax. I stopped her at every little pine tree to let her take bites, and counted to 20-30 a few times just asking her to stand.

Twice she sighed. That is 200% more than usual for her! Sighing is good, please keep that up!

A family with two puppies (loose) and two children got off the trail for us, and I thanked them. Another lady with an Icelandic and an Australian shepherd approached, and the dog was growling at us, so the lady got off and caught her dog, while Mara pranced sideways like she'd never seen a dog before. Well, I hadn't seen that one either, and growling is not nice. Finally at the end of our ride, I was taking Mara's pulse with my brand new stethoscope, and suddenly a lady with a Belgian shepherd was right there, I didn't see them cuz I was looking at my watch, but Mara did, and she didn't flinch.

I let her graze and then there was the old lady with her walker, still chugging up and down these streets like she's done every day since we moved here. I talked with her a while, she said she likes Mara's white bridle. I said, "Do you remember a year ago, how we couldn't just stop and talk like this, the horse would be jumping all around?"

The lady wasn't caressing or cooing to Mara, but Mara stood like a statue anyway, as long as we spoke.

I'm very proud of my delicate flower tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to look back and see how much progress you've made together.

Achieve1dream said...

Good girl Mara!!! What a breakthrough. :D She's only going to get better and better from here.

P.S. I love listening to my donkey bray and all of my neighbors here and at the old place do too hehe. :D

Funder said...

Oh, good girl! She's coming along - good work! :D

Oak Creek Ranch said...

You two have made a lot of progress!

AareneX said...

Five years from now you will say to Mara, "Well, I'm glad we didn't sell you to the zombies after all."

Just wait.