Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lots of trotting and cantering too

I had a good day with Mara yesterday. I know these posts are all pretty much the same, but I need to keep track so I can go back and look for signs of progress. Oh, how I appreciate it when a reader comments that she sees some progress! As you all know I mostly focus on the problems.

The flies are getting bad (but so far no horse flies) and Mara was swishing her tail and shaking her head as I rode, which didn't make it very fun. Finally I said, "Let's outrun 'em" and asked her to trot. This was the first time we rode at a trot ganzebahn (the entire arena), and I asked for 5 times around each direction, working on rhythm and relaxation. (Usually I do circles and serpentines to keep her mind off her imagination.) She doesn't breathe hard, but she did blow out her nose a few times by the third lap, which I praised her for. When I say Goooooooooood it is a big exhale for me so I stayed loose.

I was so happy that she was paying attention after our last chaotic ride, I gave her a long rein, a carrot, and then jumped off and praised her.

All the flies caught us then.

I led her into the woods to do a different, but equally short "easy" loop - perhaps 20 minutes. But then I saw it - this overgrown logging road that was badly rutted from years of rain, and mostly overgrown, but I thought if I'm careful, I can get her down it without her falling into a rut. I'd been wondering about that abondoned path for years. I led her carefully to the bottom and then discovered a road at the end. A road. There is only one road that this could be - the service road that goes around the watershed, directly at the water's edge, that forbidden bit of heaven that Baasha and I dared to explore only when I was feeling very brave (by going through a hole in a fence).

We had not gone through a hole, and we had not passed any No Horses signs. I was all giddy, realizing I have the perfect excuse if a ranger finds me. We walked along, making no noise on the soft dirt, listening to the waterfowl. Down at the water, the canyon walls were carved with several different water levels.

Mara was staring, transfixed, at the water - did she know it was down here all along, or was she surprised? I stopped her and said, "Listen Mara. This kind of exploring is my very favorite thing to do. I hope you will enjoy it too."

Then I lost my nerve and took her to the tiny opening in the trees where the trail was. (Very glad I'd paid attention, losing that trail would have been bad.)

I got on her and let her carry me up the "danger trail" - carefully steering her around the ruts. She was paying close attention to the trail (we need more danger trails!) and did not spook until we were out of there.

Then it became a challenge again - sunlight on a root, two hikers, oh, so many things to fear. The two hikers had walking sticks, very scary, and I just stopped her as they walked by, to let her think. Both of them said Danke to me, though I wasn't doing it for them. Often when she gets really nervous, I'll ask her to stop and I'll count to 20, or wait for her to sigh. Sighing good.

At one point she tried her balking routine "Too scary, cannot go forward" but I unstuck her by flexing her left and right repeatedly until she realized going forward wasn't so bad. Someday she'll be done with that freezing up thing, I long for that day.

We also played "Eat the tree" - getting her to take a bite of a birch is a very good exercise for her, she used to not be able to snack out there.

I RODE ACROSS A BRIDGE. This bridge says No Horses on it, so I generally get off and lead her across it, but I'd ridden it with Baasha, and seen others ride over it, so I know it's safe. I stopped Mara directly in front of the bridge and tried to collect myself. She nuzzled the wooden rail, waiting for me to get it together. I took a big breath and said, "OK, cross." No problem, of course, the horse is not afraid of bridges.

After the bridge the trail went back uphill and I let her trot, something I hadn't done in a while out there.  I was reminded how I love my saddle.

Up the switchback at a trot, I was laughing at how she finally seemed to be breathing hard, |"Finally need oxygen Mara?" and eventually she needed to canter. I purposefully put both legs on her and kissed to her as if it was my idea. I don't like how she bucks at canter departs in the arena, so I want to canter as much as I can in the woods, with a very loud canter signal.

At the top we just kept on going at the trot, and then she cantered again. It's great that she can cruise over all those twisted roots, at speed, and never trip.

Coming out of the woods into the field (with weird bottle lambs) we were walking but she slammed on the brakes at something (sunlight?) so fast it was like a sliding stop and if I hadn't had a handful of her mane I would have bit it, or broken my glasses on her poll.

I made her walk into the light a few paces before jumping back off and then visiting with those lambs again. Someday sheep will not scare her, that's the plan.

When we got home my man held the leadrope while I sprayed her with the hose, enjoying how the sweat and lather made soap-like suds running down.

I love how she puts her muzzle in the water stream, and at one point she did it and diverted all the spray onto me. I jumped backwards and then laughed and praised her because I realized that my jumping worried her. "Funny trick Mara, no worries!"

J asked, "Did you have fun on your ride?"

"Well, yah, I think I did."


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind at all that you put down all the details each time - it's great to read of all your efforts together and your progress - yes, real progress!

lytha said...

Thanks Kate. I just took Mara down the street cuz I saw from my window the shepherd had moved his flock to a grassy slope that Mara likes to graze in. Mara had to be reminded of her leadline manners a few times - she gets so scared she tries to pass me. I was talking to the shepherd about the funny bottle lambs that run up to me. And his herding dogs, and the shepherd pet Mara a little. I said, "She has so much fear still, after a year, especially of sheep." He replied, "I think it's the owner who has fear." And I said, "Of sheep?" Hrmph.

EvenSong said...

Where's the "Like" button?

I'm certainly happy that you posted this progress post, because, for me, it is CLEAR evidence of how far the two of you have come!

And I hope you're wondering, as I am, if there isn't an element of truth to what the shepherd said: perhaps the first few times Mara was indeed frightened by the sheep. But now you are expecting that reaction, and setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy? I had a friend who told me once "If you are expecting the worst, you'll probably get it. Try imaging the best, and see how quickly it will develop."

Keep up the work, girls!

lytha said...

Evensong, I admit a person free of fear could diffuse Mara's level of arousal faster than I can. But think to what I said about the bridge.

I was scared of that bridge, afraid of the moment she put a hoof on it, that it would collapse (as has happened to me). I halted her and tried to gather my courage, I was aware of how scared I was, but apparently bridges are not on her "things to fear" list, and she did not let my fear affect her. She just waited for me and then walked across calmly when I asked.

With the sheep and chickens, I've taken to using my sing-song voice talking to them, the same voice I use to greet the cat and Mara's best friends across the street. I bent down at a baby lamb today and talked to it while it wondered if it should flee or not.

I'd need more convincing to believe that I am the cause of her sheep fear, while admitting I am not unaffected by hers if we encounter them (while I'm riding) unexpectedly. Yesterday she grazed near those bottle lambs, so I was expecting her to be worried, but settle down and graze today, which she did. In that case, my expectations did match what resulted.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Congrats on riding the bridge. It figures a horse that spooks at nothing would bravely venture forward on odd footing. I don't think there are any rules of horse or human behavior that we can count on. Life is moment by moment, and what happened yesterday won't necessarily happen today... especially where horses are involved.

irish horse said...

I am smiling just reading about your ride! It sounds like it went really well. Sometimes there is a ride that tips the balance, more fun than fear. Good job to you both.

AareneX said...

Can you see see me dancing for joy? Because I am dancing! For joy! At your ride!

Oh, look at the wonderful things you are doing now, I'm so proud of both of you.

EvenSong said...

You're right Lytha, I had overlooked Mara's response to the bridge. And I do remember the terror of your fateful incident with Baasha, so I apologize if I seemed judge mental.

But I still want to congratulate you on all the baby steps you and Mara have made, that add up to PROGRESS!

Kitty Bo said...

I love this!

Achieve1dream said...

I love reading about your rides and training! This ride sounds like it was a lot of fun! :D I'm glad you are both figuring each other out and I'm especially glad you found a way through her balking. :)