Friday, September 13, 2013

Eryn comes to ground drive and ride on her last week in Germany

Eryn has to go back to America, but it should be great for her - she's gonna be taking some Morgan driving horses to the Nationals in Kentucky next week. The Morgan horse comes from Vermont, where Eryn is from. Did you know that the Morgan horse is Vermont's state treasure?


I am a closet Morgan horse fan, to me they are the next best thing to Arabians even though their personalities are so different. I also think that Mara could make a very nice half Morgan baby, since she looks so much like a Morgan to me. Too bad Morgans don't exist in Germany. At least...not until Eryn brings them to Germany! Wouldn't that be cool? It's not so far-fetched; her employer intends to bring some show horses to Germany.

The same employer who is putting her on the plane next week for home. I was so glad Eryn was able to come over tonight and teach me some ground driving principles. Actually, remind me - this is how we trained Baasha initially - before he carried me the first time, we ground drove him, even in a little show at Tacoma Unit (with his breeder on the lines - I was 16 and clueless about horses).

Ground driving suits Mara and me. She can learn a bit more about contact without me on her back. Also, she simply has to start backing up in an orderly fashion. Today Eryn worked on that. Please note the final photo in the series below - it's when Mara took her first somewhat-willing step backwards.

I'll post some videos I shot of this evening as soon as they upload to Youtube. Or, after I get home from my Amanda Barton clinic tomorrow. She's a student of Mark Rashid, and since he no longer comes to Germany, I'm excited. Moreso than seeing Buck next month, simply because I've read 3 Mark Rashid books in the last month and am about to buy 2 more.

Eryn and I worked on Mara's "swingy" trot, with impulsion. This can be found at the jog and somewhat at her medium trot, which we also worked on today. She goes from strung out/inverted, to actually working with her joints and muscles (not simply inertia), and began to swing rhythmically with a lovely suspension phase, and a nice swinging tail. I was totally thrilled to see this.

Then Eryn rode her and tried to introduce the concept of contact, by simply holding and maintaining a very light contact as she trotted around and did lots of circles. Mara is very resistant and doesn't know what to do with the problem of contact. But everything I've heard, about working with green horses, is just maintain a steady light contact to teach the horse it's OK. They sure looked cute together, but Mara had a very upright/saddleseat frame, which of course is Eryn's specialty, *lol*


At one point Eryn reached forward to pat her, she gives a TON of praise, really, she keeps reminding me to praise, cuz I'm kind of the quiet type when people are observing me. The funny thing was, she could easily reach Mara's ears when she pet her on board, and I said, "Geez, you're so tall, I think you could pat her forehead if you wanted!" At which she leaned just a bit forward, and stroked Mara between the eyes. Yah, Mara's tiny. Just perfect for me.

I feel, at least tonight, excitement about the future, and not this dreadful worry that I usually feel. It's taking for-e-ver, but Mara isn't ruined or spoiled, she's just scared of everything and doesn't know much. I'm buying a surcingle tomorrow, cuz I want to do lots more ground driving properly.

Ground driving with the reins thru the stirrups naturally brings her head down because the reins are hung so low, and it will help her become light without my weight to deal with. I found it fascinating how hard it was to drive her in a straight line forward. With no leg or weight aids, only reins, it was a trick. Also, half-halting? I asked Eryn and she explained it. You just send a vibration to warn the horse of a change. That really helped.

I also saw that vocal commands are paramount - Eryn only said, "Walk on" and Mara moved on, with no other cue, at all. (I tend to wiggle the reins on her legs a bit.) I'm so glad she's accepting of things around her legs. I remember when I got her, a blanket leg strap fell down and hit her in the leg, and she freaked out.

I wish so much I knew about her past. What did they do? They did so much right, I can see that. I also am keenly aware that the seller has not contacted me to ask how she is. That means.....a lot. Bellis' owner waited a few months, but contacted me - because she truly cared, and she knew what a good girl Bellis is. I was able to send her professional photos of Bellis enjoying life, racing around. I really wonder if they knew they sold me a horse with problems, and are afraid to ask. I will certainly let you know if I hear from them.

For now, today was a good day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda is by reputation very good. I am a big fan of ground driving to begin to introduce things - your mare seems to be taking it all in and looks very good.

AareneX said...

This is what I like to see: a plan.

It's good to have a plan so you've got something to crumple up and throw away!

But seriously, it's good to have some stuff that you AND Mara can do to feel some success.

How's the saddle fit thing going?

Bakersfield Dressage said...

Nice!!!!!

Dom said...

My Morgan pony is worth his weight in gold. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

K1K1CHAN said...

Sounds fun!

kbryan said...

Wonderful photos, Mara is so photogenic. Good luck to Eryn!

Kitty Bo said...

I love ground driving, and a surcingle is a must, so helpful. and yes, half halts a must also. I taught my horses to soften with a half halt from the ground standing beside them. Made it so much easier. I had a 12hh Welsh demonImeanpony once, who I taught to ground drive, and we went down the road. He had the prettiest black butts.