Monday, July 22, 2013

Another litany of mistakes



Not again.

Why do I have to learn the hard way how to truly take small steps with Mara?

 

All week I was excited to ride with Nadine on her Paintabian. Her horse is very calm and experienced and is a great influence on Mara, the few times I’ve run into them out there.

I showed up early at Herr S’s so I could lunge a bit – that went well, no bucking.

But the farrier was there putting shoes on, and Nadine’s horse was later on the list, so I had to wait 2 hours. I thought waiting might be good for Mara, so I stayed there instead of going back home, and they let me put Mara in a stall.

During this time one of Nadine’s dogs bit two people, one being Herr S. Great. I kept my hands away from that dog so I wouldn’t get bit. Nadine yelled at her dog a lot but never tied it up.

Then Nadine told me that Sonja was going with, on her Icelandic mare. I sighed inwardly – that wasn’t part of my plan. My plan was to ride out with Nadine alone, but oh well. That was mistake #1, agreeing to go out in a “group” of 3, when I knew Mara reacted so badly that other time riding out with two. But since this would be our home territory, I thought it would be fine. I was wrong.

So I had to wait for the Icelandic to get her plastic horseshoes nailed on, and then another hour for Nadine’s horse to get his plastic shoes put on.

Finally we headed out, and mistake #2 – WITH 2 DOGS. I thought this might be a good training opportunity cuz I don’t  know if Mara knows about dogs. I was wrong – or, right, I guess…it was a training opportunity, just a very stressful one.

Nadine assured me they would be going slow – a “walking ride”- because both horses had new shoes on. I trusted her. Mistake #3.

Nadine got right on her cell phone – I’ve never seen her not talk on her cell phone whilst riding. Even when I just run into her out there momentarily, and we stop to talk, her phone will ring and she will talk. I consider this very rude, I mean, if you’re alone it’s OK, but if you’re riding with others, talking about your day on the phone, it’s just wrong.

Also, I find it a lot easier to be calm/enjoy my horse when I’m able to chat with the other rider – it gets my focus off of Mara. Nadine and Sonja were chatting amongst themselves almost the entire time, leaving me out due to my language barrier. Occasionally they’d ask me a question but that was about it. Often they had to repeat themselves with me, and I’m sure that annoyed them.

Sonja had to adjust her stirrups at one point and that just standing there was hard for Mara, but we did it.

Then as we travelled along,  the dogs started being a problem. One of them would just take off through the woods after something, and be gone a long while, and the other dog was frantically pacing back and forth amidst hooves, wondering where she’d gone. Nadine would yell and yell but that biting dog would not come back.

Until it would suddenly spring out of the bushes under Mara’s nose and freak her out. The worst was when the dog was way behind us, and had to come running. It was running up behind us full speed and Mara was in the rear, and she just couldn’t take it – I’m sure she’s never gone out with dogs because she fruck out so badly I was about to emergency dismount when she finally stopped. Nadine yelled at the dog again, but by this time Mara was hyperalert watching dogs/wondering where dogs were. I couldn’t help but also look around for that dog, which wasn’t helpful for Mara. She was not calm by any means, even though she was following the other plodding-along horses.

Getting her accustomed to dogs is something I would choose to do, just not at this stage. I’d prefer to do one new thing at a time with her.

Mara was chomping her bit in anxiety the entire ride, and jigged a little bit but I was able to dissuade her. She also tossed her head like crazy the entire 2 hours, flipping it up so I could see her nose repeatedly. She was trying to express that this was just too stimulating. I just ignored the head tossing, or bumped her with my heels to distract her.

She was very frustrated at our slow pace. In fact I think it was like torture for her. The thing is, I know she’s good at trotting/cantering on trails. She needs to learn to just walk too.

Then we came to this huge hill and Nadine said, “Do you want to trot?” and I sighed inwardly – I should have known they wouldn’t just walk – and I said, “If I can lead.” She looked surprised and said, “OK but you have to take care of the dogs if you’re in the lead.” Whatever that means.

I let Mara trot and she was very enthusiastic. We trotted a good long ways, Mara panting and huffing. Finally we got to the top and I slowed to a walk. Nadine said, “That’s all?” but I don’t like trotting downhill in that saddle.

But Mara was worked up, it was too exciting. I put her in the back again and she tossed her head nonstop in frustration.

Then the ladies wanted to trot again and this time they didn’t let me take the lead, so I had a very anxious horse trying to keep up with them.

After that, Sonja started to realize that Mara was very stressed and she offered to slow down. I thanked her and said, “Just no faster please.”

Sonja kept looking over her shoulder at us, over and over, wondering at how stressed Mara was. Sonja said, “She’ll calm down if you ride with us more often!” which was sweet, to which Nadine answered, “Mara will calm down when her rider does.” Nice.

Then Nadine said, “The reason she’s so stressed is probably cuz she lives with a donkey and not in a herd.”

Even more nice. I know a lot of people are critical of my situation, but I think they should try being in that situation before passing judgment. I am so not ready to buy another horse.

Anyway, that is the German way of saying what you think without caring how it comes across. She thought she was helping me by telling me that.

Then we came to this huge hill and both riders took off at a fast trot without warning me. This hill was very steep and rocky and turns to pavement near the top. I trotted after them, and when Mara started cantering, I yelled for her to just trot and they looked back and I finally said, “Can we slow down?” They did and then when we hit pavement, they said, “Let’s trot” and I said, “No please, not here.” At this point I’m sure Nadine was very put out, cuz she started talking on her cell phone and rode far ahead of us with her dogs.

Then Sonja did exactly what I would have done with a rider having trouble with a young horse – she rode very slowly, blocking Mara, and asked if she should slow down even more (what would have been almost stationary, her horse is so slow). I said, “Thank you Sonja, you are so sweet.”

It drove Mara crazy but the funny thing is, she somehow knew she had to stay behind that big red Icelandic butt with the poofy blond tail. If I urged her to pass to ride alongside, Mara would just keep her nose at the tail. OK then, that’s great. Mara was lathered and wet but she was WALKING, which is the most important thing. Head tossing like crazy, but not jigging thank God.

The entire time I rode on a loose rein with just the tiniest bit of slack, but Mara tried maybe 200 times to yank the reins out of my hands, and every time, it did not work. Very bad habit – but that will fade. I don’t know how she isn’t hurting her mouth, yanking so hard, so often. That’s a school horse trick and the former owner said they were trying to make her a school horse until they figured out it wasn’t working.

When we finally got back to Herr S’s, I jumped off right in the street, and said, “Thanks Nadine, Thanks Sonja, for all your help.”

It would be great if I could just ride out with Sonja. I’ll have to get her number. She’s a sweetheart and really tried to take care of me and Mara. Also, next time I catch her alone, I’ll tell her how much I appreciate it, and how I would have done the same.

Oh, one last mistake – we rode for 2.5 hours and I think that is too long for Mara at this point, because I’m sure she’s body sore from fighting me the entire time, and making her sore will make her hate working. I didn’t know where we were going to ride, and it did go out to an area I’d never been. It was a lovely loop though, I look forward to doing it lots of times in the future when Mara is more settled.

Sunday all I did with Mara was clean her feet, and just hang out with them in the field.

Too much, too soon, I need to break it down and introduce new things slowly. That is my plan, I just need to figure out how to do it. I think a good strategy is to ask Nadine and Sonja if I can join them for the first ¼ of their ride, before they start trotting all over the place, and before Mara gets too worked up, and then split off and go home. I’m sure they’ll think that’s odd but I’ll explain that I need to take small steps.

16 comments:

EvenSong said...

Although the ride sounds like it was frustrating for both you and Mara, I think it was probably more of a positive experience than you think. You were both challenged, perhaps in too many ways at once, but you "completed" your ride! To finish is to win, right? Neither of you were hurt, nor even pushed beyond your abilities. You rode her through the difficult parts and made the best of a poor training experience. Seems like each ride you learn more about Mara, and about yourself.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I totally understand wanting to take it one step at a time. I think it's easier for both you and the horse to concentrate on how to get past one problem at a time than a dozen all at once. Obviously, I still get irritated when I'm trying to work a horse through a training issue only to have something else happen to either distract it or send it over the edge. It's like that one day when I needed to work on getting my horse not to walk off while I'm mounting, but someone cut their dogs loose and their dogs were trying to attack us while I was trying to get my horse to hold still. Impossible. And annoying. I had an equitation instructor who talked on her mobile phone during my lessons. Drove me nuts, especially since I was paying for her time, so I stopped doing business with her. Two's company, but three's a crowd. It definitely helps to have someone to chat with when a horse is nervous. I've noticed that my horses remain calm and well behaved when I'm engrossed in conversation, but as soon as things get quiet, they find things to spook at.

lytha said...

evensong, i was afraid you might point that out: ) glass half full: ) everytime she's stressed i learn her reactions to it and perhaps a little about her limits - will she rear? but i don't want training to be such an incredible amount of stress. you might be right that some positive remnant stayed with mara. maybe you could ask her for me. (if only they could speak.)

nm, you understand totally. a riding instructor talking on the phone during a lesson? agh! that only happened to me once and i quit that lady. what horrible manners! actually when i was talking to mara's former owner, she said she was giving a lesson at the time. i was so annoyed on behalf of the student!

Tina said...

There is nothing wrong with your living situation. Nothing at all. But Nadine did hit the nail on the head on the other comment. The horse will calm down when you do. She is feeding off of you. You going slow is for you, not the horse. You are nervous. Not a thing in the world wrong with that. But the horse would relax if you did. She seems to do fine for your friend and I think that is because your friend is more confident.

AareneX said...

I'm with EvenSong: you probably did more good than harm with this ride.

And the time/distance isn't that bad. Maybe she will learn from it that she may be asked to go long/far, so she won't waste as much energy being a knucklehead. (The Toad finally learned that. Sigh.)

Baby steps. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Saddle?

kbryan said...

So, were you worn out when you got home? :) That ride was not very enjoyable for either one of you, but I think you should feel good about keeping it together before and during the ride. And I really hope that you can get out with Sonja by herself, she sounds like a nice individual - just tell her - no dogs and no Nadine please. It would be nice to have a safe place to do an easy canter for awhile to burn up some of her go go go energy. I can't help but smile at your description of her antics in trying to get her way. Go easy on yourself, you are doing a great job with her! And you have her in a wonderful environment, pooh on what that silly person said. If only all horses could be so fortunate. . .

Christie said...

That's my fear with Dani that the first time I take her on a trail ride people won't "get it" and will want to trot and canter etc etc. I want to find a mannerly horse and better still a mannerly human!

Sounds like you did a good job of controlling her though and the next trip out will be better. Perhaps you could try to back her quickly every time she jigs or tosses her head because she's not going faster. That may teach her that yes, walk may not be what YOU want but it's better than the crazy stuff that HUMAN asks me to do when I get silly. Just an idea.

So glad to be able to finally catch up on your blog!!!

Piccolopony said...

Thank you again for sharing your experiences. I'm dealing with a young horse as well and there are just so many similarities. I give you so much credit for riding her out at all. I'm still sticking to the arena with my green bean for the time being :P

allhorsestuff said...

Wow, That Was An Experience..Hoe Not To Repeat. It's Tough..You Wasn't To Trust Folks. They Mean Well, But Certainly Have Forgotten What It It's Like To Influence A Green Horse. I've Made
These Mistakes. Mara And You Will Recover. I Just Think Your Resolve Must Be Firmer, To Opt Out. I Care Far Too Much Now For My Mare, Than What Others Think.

Sonja, She Sounds Nice. The Phone Bit Is Rude. I Have A Phone With Me...But Even If It Rings, I'm Not Answering-I Am Riding!!!

Glad You Discovered A New Loop.
Hang In, Blow Off The Crappy Nappy Comments!

lytha said...

tina, true, her anxiety is feeding my own, and it doesn't help her. i do have a perfect example of how she goes on trails with a confident rider - remember that ride where i got pics of kat riding her? kat was having a grand time, praising her, patting her, calling her "power pony" and laughing at her antics - jigging, head tossing, bit chomping. Then Mara spooked and jumped into traffic, causing a BMW to test its braking system, and all the cars behind it as well. However it did provide me an example of what happens when someone totally relaxed rides my horse.

aarene, i'm about to give up hope that a fitting kit will ever arrive, much less a saddle: ( it's been 4 weeks and 3 days since i placed my order.

kay, i was emotionally spent. my husband saw my face, took me into the bedroom and told me to tell him the whole story. he listened to the entire painful thing. he's a good man. letting mara "run it out" will definitely end in injury at this point. she's still unbalanced and wobbles on hills, and that's all we have. i'm not sure letting her go fast will help her learn to go slow, because going fast is all arabs usually wanna do. (would that reverse psychology in this regard worked! only gallop the horse, every ride. if only it were safe to do so.)

christie, backing her up when she jigs will most definitely lead to rearing, as the other riders will get further ahead if i try this. i think i've got a handle on the jigging though, she's not a very advanced/set-in-her-ways jigger yet. i can dissuade her by weaving her back and forth. yah, that tactic might not work for long!

picoolo, i'm sure you're doing the right thing, and something i should probably do too, but i get so bored in there!

kacy, like you said, i need to be more assertive. gotta learn that.



Tina said...

The only reason I say that is because someone recently said the same thing to me. I didn't take it well at the time. I almost cried. That is when I realized the person was right. It's SO HARD to get use to a new horse after riding one for so long. I'm still not confident and I have a excellent horse. I don't understand why a different horse seems so scary to me. It does though.

Tina said...

Oh wow! That must have been scary when that happened with her spooking and jumping in front of the car! Dang!

lytha said...

tina, it's nice of you to say so. as you know i am hearing this from people in RL and online, and my answer is if i try to avoid all potentially scary things, i'll be stuck in an arena going in circles. of course a little arena work would be valuable, but it's not my priority right now. honestly, if i knew of ONE SINGLE qualified riding instructor in my area, i'd hire her to come over and give me some lessons in the arena. unfortunately i don't know anyone.

Kitty Bo said...

My dear, you survived, and I am proud of you. I think we all understand how stressful such situations are, but you did a grand job.

allhorsestuff said...

Still Thinking About You're Times....One Ride At A Time.

You Are Right On Too,I Think, Your Training MeasureS. The Simple Calm Rides, Developing Into Trust, Adding Elements. All That Has Happened May Not Be What You
Wanted For The First Times But ,
How You've Handled It And Been
There For Mara, She Will Remember Those Times. The Recovery Is The Thing.

Hoping You Have Had Some More Great Solos.
And...I Missed The Saddle Post, What Did You Decide On??
Look What You Accomplished With Your

Reddunappy said...

Hang in there girl!!! Every day you get to ride is a good day!! :o)
You doing great!