Monday, May 28, 2012

A very nice gelding - and guess where he was bred?


Today I met Amja ("Amya"), a gelding for sale from a friend of our neighbor/endurance rider.
I was surprised to take the same exit off the highway - we were back at Reichshof! This is the town where Wiszi lives.


It's one hour from here.


When we arrived the owner took us to the pasture to meet the horse. He was shy about us, not one of those loves everybody immdediately horses like Baasha, but he was curious and hung around us. He's in with a 28 year old Arabian who is still going strong, but finally retired from endurance. The trophy case in the house was full of his 100 mile awards (trophies!?!). How odd, not nearly as useful as a bucket or tshirt. I certainly do not want a trophy case in my house for endurance riding!





The man's wife was out on a training ride, she's the 100 mile rider and I was so sorry I didn't get to meet her.


Actually it was rotten of the man to let us come when she was out - because I didn't get a chance to ride the gelding. Even though the man says he rides him and it's no problem, he wanted his wife there for some reason.


Amja has been ridden a total of 5 times - twice last year and three times this year. He says he's no trouble at all, goes right through town even without spooking. He's 5 years old.



Then he said something about the breeder and I recognzied the name. He's from Gut Alemich! No wonder he has wonky ears and a hot-dog body, but good legs and feet. He's an Aga Khan son, the stallion I met twice. I wish I could find a picture online of Aga Khan *sigh* - he's their top herd sire and no pics?

Do you remember this mare, Kiara, from this post? She's also a daughter of Aga Khan. Isn't it funny, I couldn't afford a horse directly from Gut Alemich, but once he changed hands a few times, maybe I can?



We have not discussed the terms or price yet. I do know the papers are still with Gut Alemich because the first buyer never paid the full price. What is up with separating a horse from its papers!? Ironically I have copies of Kiara's papers here, and several others from Alemich. But maybe this is why I could afford the horse. He's chipped and has a Pass, but no papers. Or maybe it's cuz he's just a gelding.






I like him better than the mare Kiara, physically, and also more than Wiszi.

I just don't know how we mesh with regard to riding. And I have to wait at least til next weekend to find out! Agh.

15 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I hope he works out great. I keep meaning to tell you that we have a supermarket near us called, "Basha's" with just one "a" in the middle.

Reddunappy said...

I like him! He is very pretty.
Hope you have a great ride on him!!

Oak Creek Ranch said...

Encouraging! Keep us posted.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh wow! Is he built nice or what?? I like his build...very strong hip, great legs, too! And his eyes are so curious and soft. It will be interesting to see how you and he connect while riding. His eyes were on you for most of your visit. Maybe he has already chosen you??

~Lisa

Crystal said...

He looks good (and not grey) but with only 5 rides in the lat couple years makes me wonder how broke he really is. Of course if he is quiet and brave that helps a lot. Cant wait to hear how the ride and the visit with his wife goes.

Jeni said...

I hope he rides ok - he sounds very green. He is pretty - and NOT GREY !

Kitty Bo said...

So he has only had a few rides? Do be careful, even if he been through the town. Was it by himself? He does look very nice. a good substance to him, and he's not grey!

CG said...

I like him! Only 5 rides so far? That's nice in a way because hopefully he won't have any bad habits ingrained yet:)

AareneX said...

Okay, my fingers are crossed.

If you get a new horse, who will take care of Baasha AND Bellis and NewKid when you come here in August?

cdncowgirl said...

I didn't comment yesterday because I was so excited for you lol
He is such a lovely BAY! Oh now we all have to wait for the test ride!

irish horse said...

Nice boy! I hope he is as nice when you ride him. My horse was very green, but I could tell from our test trail ride that he had a good mind, and that was what I wanted to work with. Good luck!

kbryan said...

What pretty horses! He looks healthy and solid. Did you get good "vibes" from him? Can't wait to hear more after a ride. Good job with the photos!

Funder said...

Ack! More waiting?

I think he's adorable. And he's BAY!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

He's haaaandsome! hope the ride/s go well!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Achieve1dream said...

He's cute!!!! That bites that you didn't get to ride him. I can't wait until you do so we can read about it. The fact that he hasn't had a lot of rides is good from a growth standpoint (I hate that horses around here are ridden so young so I'm practically stuck having to buy a yearling if I want one that hasn't been ridden too young, grr), but I guess we have to be patient and see how the test ride goes to see how confident he is and if your personalities mesh well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Oh and I like his name. Any idea what it means?