Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cutting it close

My man is so awesome. He spent the day yesterday driving from hardware shop to hardware shop buying the supplies to put a light in my new stall, so we'd have lights before we leave for America. (I leave Tuesday, he leaves 9 days later.)

I didn't hide my disappointment that it was dark long before he got everything he needed yesterday - remember, no stores are open on Sundays in Germany.

When he finally returned his sister came over to learn how to care for our animals. I'm composing a multi-paged summary that encomasses pretty much everything I told her, in case she forgets. Obsessive pet owner, here.

So today as soon as we'd had breakfast we got to work. Church bells were ringing. I yelled to my man, "We sure know how to spend the Lord's day, huh?" and later we cringed as we used a power saw which is illegal on a Sunday. I decided to try to finish cutting and fitting the stall mats. A very dirty job, since they both were and are being used. We have no where else to put our horse as we work now.

My man began by asking me where I want my lightswitch. I said, "Given any option, I'd love to have it outside the gate, (up high on the old barn front) so that the new stall is lit as I make my way into the horse area."

That involved installing new electric cables in both the old barn and greenhouse! I had no idea it would be so complicated.

Something about the old wiring having only 3 wires, and we need 5 to have a switch and option to add more switches and more lights later. He chose to run the power from the greenhouse to the new barn because it would involve less overhead cable-hang. (And the greenhouse has its own breaker box.) This involved fixing the greenhouse roof which had warped from the snow and misconstruction of the former owner. It also involved removing the old wires in the old barn entirely. Just getting ready took forever.

I cannot say I enjoy cutting stall mats. These are the super thick ones, and you cannot get even a brand new box cutter through them. But I've got a method now. I'm a professional stall mat cutter. First you measure, then you score a line with your box cutter, as deep as you can manage. As straight too--those lines on the backside do not help very much. Then you go back and start cutting at the start, and then you pry the pieces apart with your left hand and right foot, while cutting thru the scored area. I have no idea why sometimes it goes smoothly, and other times you fight and pull and cut ineffectively. Old mat, new mat, or direction? New blades help. *sigh* The hammer is for pounding them into place once cut, puzzle piece by puzzle piece, it is a joy when they fit, and a total frustration when they ALMOST fit and you have to cut a tiny bit more, all over again.

I spent all day on my knees on icky dirty used stall mats. I must recommend that if you ever want to mat a stall, do it without or before the horse. It is so much nicer when they're clean. I took this photo when I was almost done, only 3, no, 4 cuts to go (with spare pieces). I was so thrilled at this point.

Helping my man later in the greenhouse, I left dirty marks all over the transparent walls wherever I touched. And my knees were stained in pee through my jeans. My shoes may not be allowed on the flight Tuesday, they are toxic. Notice how much less snow we have! That is party due to me climbing up there and scraping it all off, and almost getting submerged in an avalanche, and partly due to the rain/hail we've had. Thank God for RAIN - I yelled Halleluja when the snow turned to rain yesterday.

He did a great job, not only did he get outdoor cables and light and converter boxes, he got those cable protector tubes.

Even though there is no earthly way a horse or mouse could reach that high to nibble.

He left some extra cable available in case I wish for another light switch or outlet in the barn someday.

Poor Baasha had lots of time at the Patience Tree today, because he kept trying to get in our way and we were racing against sundown. He settled down finally but then it started hailing. Feeling guilty, I tied him in the new stall with the new tie-ring my man installed. He was fidgeting like crazy in there (the hail sounds strange) and so I finally tied him to the tree again.

I've never tied my horse all day but so it went. Finally I thought he might eat so I tied him in the stall again and he relaxed and ate. And jumped everytime I drop/slammed a too-heavy stall mat. In this photo I'd just placed the last two (tiny) puzzle pieces, and I was done. I was so happy!!!

That Dirty Jobs guy needs to cut (used) stall mats for a show.
















Cutting around each and every support post sucked. But the end result is satisfying.

I was working against his heels at times, hoping to not cut myself or get pooped on. Lookie that, am I good or what!? *strut*

My man was thankfully under cover - either in the greenhouse or hay loft the entire hailstorm. Whenever I see these distribution boxes I think of Geocaches.

Oh, and I built a hay trough for Baasha yesterday!! While my man was out shopping for electrical supplies, I went to work on the new trough, via my man's new design with posts and clamps and such, to make it more stable. My man had to use the electric saw though, that was too much for me.

I feel pretty proud of my trough, and it is doing its job of keeping the hay where it belongs, and my horse's head down while he eats. I like that I can tie him right next to the trough, safely, so he can eat and stay tied if we ever need to tie him.

Nearing the end my man said, "OK I just need to connect the black power wires, and, oh, tell me, is the light to the barn going on when I do this?" YES -- STOP NOW! I said, "Can't you spare 5 minutes and turn the power off for this step? I know you'll probably be OK, but I'd feel better if I didn't have to administer CPR again unsuccessfully." He went up and turned off the power which caused our sewage pump to BEEP BEEP BEEP until he was done.

It wasn't 2 minutes later that I had LIGHT IN MY NEW BARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO!!!!!!!

There is nothing better, I tell you, in Wintertime. I was too tired to get a picture of it ON, actually, oops!

We're even thinking of putting solar lights in there because it's SO dark in comparison to the old stall. Baasha doesn't love it like he did the old one, and we're convinced it's the darkness.

But there is LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those of you with horses will understand the necessity of light in a barn! Those of you without horses, try to imagine your garage has no lights, and you have to go out there every night after dark to clean it and get things and put things there. It would be incredibly frustrating and impossible to hold a flashlight cuz you need your hands. A head light is not adequate, you need overhead LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! It's my Christmas present from my man, and I'm totally satisfied.

I'm exhausted but my man moreso. I made his favorite meal tonight, spaghetti bolognese, and we both scarfed down a lot of it! Ich liebe dich, mein Mann.

We got done none too soon, tomorrow I have to pack and do housework (ugh, so much worse than barn work!). Tuesday morning I fly home which will take 13 hours. Lord help me!

15 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Great JOb!! wooo hooo

I still dont have lights in my barn! Just an extension cord with a clamp light hanging (sigh)

Make sure and pack your flippers and wet suit for Washington!!! Sheesh its been a really wet weekend! But it has warmed up! 55F today wow feels like a heat wave!

lytha said...

Reddunappy, today I thought, "Hm, I think I'll wear my Keens sandals to Seattle. It can't be cold there!"

BobbieNoSocks said...

I've done stall mats similar to the ones you show in the pictures and it's about as much fun as a triple by pass. I tried the utility kife scoring method which does work... but for the bigger cuts ... I ended up pulling it out and cutting it with a jig saw. It cut's like butter that way.

Of course the mats never fit together perfectly and they do seem to stretch out a bit over time.

I was cutting them again after a couple years ... especially in the stalls of our heavier horses.

AareneX said...

JEALOUS!!!!! You have a roof and walls and a light !

See you soon. Might want to bring your snorkle and fins...it's been raining some here.

WV: raineste
a comparative measurement of precipitation. "December is the raineste month of the year."

Rising Rainbow said...

What a beautiful job on fitting your mats and now you have lights too. That's two big projects in one day. I'm so jealous. Here it would take months to get that much done done.

It's cold and wet here, although nowhere near as cold as you've been there but you'll be here long enough, who knows, we could flop back that direction as well with the way this winter has been going.

Have a safe trip. Looking forward to meeting you, hopefully that's still in the cards.

juliette said...

Congratulations! What a long job and now it is done. Hooray! Have a safe trip home. I don't like stall mats. Just carrying from the truck to the barn was enough for me. I watched as Brian cut and fit them for me!

EvenSong said...

I second (or third) the WOO HOO! Those ARE two big jobs (three if you count the barn itself) that are now done!
I actually ran the extra foot or so of my mats up the back (uphill) wall of my stalls, to create a sort of water shield. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) I've had some heaving of the gravel underneath, but that's because I wasn't as obsessive as you guys in tamping it down before installing the mats.
Have a safe trip and a wonderful visit. I'd say come to E-burg, but we just got buried in snow, so it would be a hairy side trip!

Crystal said...

That looks so nice now, waht a long day! and I love those troughs in the corner, THE best way to feed hay I think.
What kind of lights are those? they look good and strong and don't take up a ton of space.

lytha said...

Bobbie, I wonder if a jig saw is the Stichsaege my man has been using on wood - it looks and functions sort of like a sewing machine? If so, NOW you tell me! *LOL*

Aarene, finally, but it's not done YET! We still have the overhang, water bucket holder, and I need to build trough number 2 sometime in the other back corner. But this was enough for now, a good place to stop and take a break. My poor husband put so many other necessary projects on hold for this the past few months.

Mikael, the barn was delivered in early September, so in my mind this project has taken an ETERNITY, and it's still not done. I'll be happy when there are no pieces in the box still, and no sheets of metal still waiting to go up (overhang). But it's a good place to stop, I'm so relieved to have gotten this far in the nick of time. I will email you when I get to Seattle and start to get a handle on what my family has planned for me.

Juliette, Brian's a good one!

Evensong, I can't wait for my man to read your comment, that we were obsessive about tamping - because he would disagree, he feels I didn't get it even enough, the final gravel layer. It's not perfectly flat in there, but it's good enough for me! I love the way the gravel underneath the mats feels softer than the concrete. That may not stay as it packs down though (?). We are planning a trip to Leavenworth for our snow experience, my family adores that place and wanted us to book a few days there but my man feels strongly that one day in a fake german town is enough for him.

Crystal, thank you! I cannot fit a whole bale into the trough which is inconvenient, but so far he cannot spread hay all over the place. The problem I found with a back-corner tough is that the horse doesn't like it as much, he likes to eat hay and look outside as he chews, and this way he has to take a bite, walk to the window, and go back. Which is good for movement, but that does create mess. Slowly he is settling down to his fate of eating in the corner. The light is a fluourescent. I don't know more than that cuz my man bought it.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Safe travels and Merry Christmas!

Funder said...

OMG, yall are heroes! Amazing job finishing up. It looks absolutely dreamy :) I'm especially impressed with the lights - I'm not quite brave enough to do real electrical work yet.

I guess by the time you read this - welcome back to America! Please enjoy your junk food and traffic jams ;)

Unknown said...

Next time pour liquid dish soap on the mats, they cut smooth every time.

Leah Fry said...

Wherever do you get all this ambition?? If you have any left over, please send it my way. I want a light in our shed so Daltrey can see his feed pan at night. All I have to do is hang it and run an industrial cord back to the house. I can't even muster the ambition to do that much!

Enjoy your trip!

Unknown said...

cool blog.... wish i had electricity let alone a light in my barn but nice work on yours

please check out mine www.wildhorseporject.blogspot.com

i was in germany horseriding last year i loved it

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ooooh you were working hard! Poor dirty knees. Looks like a pair of knee protectors or full chaps would have been just the thing to keep you clean and comfy.

From the photos you shared, is that condensation or frost on the ceiling of the new barn? Do you have any moisture problems with it dripping down? Is the roof insulated, and if not are you able to insulate it?

You are so lucky to have a man who is such a skilled electrician. Wiring can be so expensive, too. I would have to hire someone to do any wiring at our house, both for the fire hazard and because it's technically illegal not to have someone licensed do the electrical work in our area.

We don't have any lights or electric in our barn since last Spring when evil gophers chewed the wires going up to the barn. The biggest thing I miss about not having electric is not being able to use our heated water buckets. The cost for rewiring all the way up to the barn is very expensive, though, so it is something that will have to wait.

I bet it felt great to get all of that done before you left for the US, eh? And what a wonferful meal to share with your man before you left. Mmmm!

~Lisa