Monday, November 22, 2010

Progress, Christmas Lights, and a Warning

We didn't finish the barn Saturday *sigh*. But we sure did try. The problem is the riveter, it kept getting jammed and finally we just had to return it. Next weekend we'll do our best to finish.

We carried the roof panels up and somehow managed to get them in place, the two of us. They are so heavy!

I'm a little concerned because we didn't finish riveting them down, so if we get high winds, we'll lose them. They are so heavy that it would take a mighty windstorm to move them, but it is possible.

The front wall is finished, that is, all the wall are finished! There are four stabilizing metal struts on the inside of the front wall and we screwed on the metal guards that protect the edges (Kacy mentioned they might come loose if they're not screwed on -- thankfully they came with screws).

The little top pieces over the doors are just for looks, I think, but they sure took a lot of rivets and screws! It took forever for us to just attach those small pieces. Anyway, they're secure: 5 rivets along the top, 12 screws on each end patch.

It is pretty dark in there so we're gonna need lights. I'm spoiled on light right now cuz my stall has two but I rarely need them due to the half-wall. At night I sure appreciate them though.

Next Steps: secure roof, set barn on ground and attach 4 ground anchors, add overhang roof, add doors. I think that's it. Hopefully there will be no mystery pieces left over, like when I built my BBQ!

Senior Hay

Carsten brought us another load of hay - it took him a few weeks to locate the right kind because I asked for a shorter cut.

Baasha doesn't chew as well as he used to, and needs both dentistry and easy-chew food. I love the hay he brought. It falls apart and is greener than most hay in Germany. (But still not as green as PNW hay.)

I noticed right away when he started eating it, because suddenly he's drinking a lot more water.














Lights!

Since yesterday was Totensonntag (day of the dead) it is officially OK to put up Christmas decorations today. I did last night, but didn't turn them on until today. I sure love my lights. See, we don't have to wait until after Thanksgiving cuz we don't have a Thanksgiving. I will try not to weep when I think about what I'll be missing on Thursday.

We won't have a tree this year cuz we'll be in America, so I put lights on my man's rubber tree. I put a string on the barn too. I'll have to photograph the outdoor lights later when it's dark.

I even put up my icicle lights in my kitchen, they make a warm glow at night to type or cook by.

Scary Interview

I found out today I have another job interview in Cologne on the 6th. This is the only job I've applied for that I'm not sure I even want. I worked an entire day doing a test document for them and although I was extremely rushed, they must have liked it. I am kind of amazed that such work under pressure got me an in-person interview. I'm also surprised because this was the worst phone interview I'd had in years. I cannot remember the last time I had such a stressful interview, oh yah, Amazon.com in 1998. That sucked. But this one comprised a snobbish Product Manager in Chicago, a developer in Cologne, HR in Cologne, and me in the sticks near Cologne. I'm really good at interviews; I have lots of practice and it's rare for a question to stump me, but this guy not only threw all the hard questions at me, but in a manner as if he expected me to fail. It was difficult because the PM was throwing questions at me 5 at a time, so I couldn't often follow what he wanted to hear first/most. I was intimidated, stuttered, had to say, "Let me think" on one occasion - it was an hour of torture, and I thought afterwards, "The job itself could never be as stressful as that interview with that guy!" And that guy would be my off-site boss, aaaagh.

Also, I would be the only member of my team, and I've never done that. I'm terrified but I think I could handle the challenge. I have to try, anyway, it's the right thing to do, but I have to be very clear about my expectations - $$$ (€€€!) and work environment.

(The final 2 photos are from a lovely sunrise last week, which I trusted to be a fierce weather warning as stated by both Jesus (Matthew 16) and Shakespeare (Venus and Adonis).)

14 comments:

Funder said...

The barn looks great! you're almost done - hang in there!

I am jealous of your Christmas lights. It's only Monday, I can't even buy a tree yet! I can buy my T-day ham though. We are ham people, not turkey people, and since there's no family nearby, we can eat what we want. It's kind of sad so I am focusing on how wonderful ham is.

Grats on the job interview! I hope this one's easier.

Autumn Mist said...

Goodness, it's all go, isn't it? Well done for getting through what sounds like an exceptionally stressful interview. I think you're progressing nicely on the barn. We are so near the end of ours but sometimes seem further away than ever!

AareneX said...

I want to know more about your barn walls. What material are they? Synthetic? Wood? We've got most of our frame up (finally), the next step is roofing and then we'll be doing walls. So, please tell!!!

ALSO: You're coming home for xmas??? How exciting! Will you come visit us? Pleeeeeeeeease?

Crystal said...

The barn is sure looking good! I agree with lights though they sure are nice if you are gonna be out ther in the dark ever.
Its so cold here I would like to put up lights, so hopefully it will get warmer again before Christmas comes.

Leah Fry said...

I love the icicle lights in your cheery kitchen.

We don't have a tree anymore, just a 4' plastic cactus, which we love!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Lights look so pretty! Barn is coming along I hope the weather holds out for you to finish.

lytha said...

Funder, thank you! Funny that you can't yet get a tree - I thought they started selling Christmas stuff in September?! *lol* I've never seen a ham for sale here, although all other forms and variants of pork are the norm. This second job interview has to be easier, it would be inconceivable to be worse.

Autumn Mist, I'd like to see pics of your barn too! I agree, the end seems like it will take forever, and there's so little left to do.

Aarene, the walls are plywood, coated with some sort of..??? I don't know! Maybe paint, maybe plastic, I wish I knew. We looked on the website and they don't say. I guess I should find out. I'd love to see pics of your progress too.

We'd love to come visit and see what you've changed at your place.

Crystal, hot water, not imperative. Lights - imperative!!!

Leah, a 4 foot cactus christmas tree!?!?!? Can I see that?

Frau, thank you! I hope we're done before snow, but that probably won't happen - snow is only 400 meters higher than us now.

Funder said...

Lytha - there are trees for sale, even some live ones, but it's too early! Last year, we got our (very first storebought) live tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, and it managed to look perfect until Christmas, then it went brittle and all the needles fell off overnight. I'm afraid if I got one today, the needles would fall off on Christmas Eve! How sad would that be?

There are so many wonderful German pork products. I'm kind of surprised they don't eat ham the way we do!

lytha said...

Funder, if only you knew. About the pork section at the grocery store. I always say, take any grocery dept and compare it against a US market. You will see a drastic selection increase in everything in America, except......pork products. They have an entire aisle of coldcuts/wurst/schnitzel.....

and still, yet, somehow, they have no sausage, and no ham.

What a world.

Das Ees said...

today i met a teenager at work who's name is baasha. i had to think of you! :-)

juliette said...

The barn project is really coming along. It looks great...but not nearly as terrific as the icicles in your kitchen/dining area. That photo is really lovely! I haven't been following your employment story...why, etc? but that interview sounds really stressful! Glad you will be home for Christmas!

EvenSong said...

I wonder if the barn sides are what they cal "FIP": fiberglass impregnated plywood. Some 18-wheelers used to have that for box sides on their trailers, because it's almost indestructible. But it's also HEAVY, so they've moved away from it for fuel conservation reasons.
By the way, looking back to see what the "safety issue" was, the board at the bottom of the doorways also helps conserve bedding somewhat--it doesn't get kicked/drug/knocked out quite so easily.

@Aarene--Where are YOUR pictures?!?

Sonya said...

Ack,I cant beliee you don't do Thanksgiving here! we always do..gotta make your own holidays here :)

Love your lights and hope you have a wonderful time back home! We are heading to a christmas market in germany this weekend :) snow is supposed to start falling later on today!

Good luck with the job :) I found a website here that sells mexican food products and I biught a tortilla press..lol whoo hoo

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The barn is looking good. It's so very cute. I would love one like that someday.

Your lights are so festive. We should put ours up soon, too. So why do you have to wait until after Totensonntag to put up Christmas lights? I had no idea that other countries celebrated day of the dead either. I thought it was a Mexican/Spanish holiday?

So, has the weather warning panned out for you there?

~Lisa