Monday, April 26, 2010

Baasha's 25th

April 22, 1985. I was 14 and just falling in love with Arabian horses. Baasha was being born to Sheriffa* and Amir Ibn Sakr**, son of Sakr***. I was in South Park, Seattle (WA), and Baasha was in Auburn, WA. Three years later we met. That was 1988.

April 22nd he turned 25. I said, "Oh, my son, I know what it feels like to be 25. I really thought I was grown up! But now I'm not sure I'm grown up at 38."

He loved his baked apple strudel, I will buy him one every year!




There it is in the oven. We waited til it was cool, of course. Oh, but I have to admit. We sampled it. It was much better than the last one!




And now a little of Baasha's history.


*Sheriffa was his mother. I knew her personally while she was still alive. She and Baasha spent many years together, even as adults, as I boarded him with her. I have this precious picture of them both licking snow off of a stump, and they look like twins, her mane being only a shade lighter, and her nose had a little pink. She was also a tad shorter. Alas, I have no picture of Sheriffa in digital form and all my actual photos are in America. I wish I could look at them.

**Amir Ibn Sakr -- I had contact with the people who owned Baasha's father as they took him to Michigan. They were nice enough to send me a binder full of color photos of him before he died a few years ago. He looks JUST like Baasha.




***Sakr+++ was imported in utero from Egypt in the 70s to Gleannloch farms. (When I see a horse like this, I sometimes wonder where they put the saddle. I mean, on many Arabians, there is scant room for it.)











I saw his picture on a magazine cover before I ever dreamed of owning an Arabian of my own. Ok, I was just beginning to dream!



Now that I'm reminiscing, if anyone has info about the relatives of my horse, I'd love to know what happened to them after the dispersal. He's from a farm called Saarem al-Najma in Auburn, WA. The owner died a few years ago and I really wonder what happened to Baasha's brothers and sisters that I worked with and was enamored with as well. That was a long time ago, but could it be that Baasha is the only survivor? I hate it that the registry charges money to look up horses.

Anyway, Baasha looks better this year than last year, and that is a relief. I hope he has a great summer after the horrible winter of 2010 - 3 months of snowcover. He deserves it.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your most beautiful boy!

Reddunappy said...

Happy Birthday Baasha!!! 25 is a good age!
Our, Easy, is 25 this year also.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Just look at that tray of goodies! That is one happy horse. I had to do a double-take when you mentioned where to put the saddle. That horse is all hip and shoulder. Happy Birthday, Baasha.

AareneX said...

Happy Happy Happy Happy HAAAAAAAAPPY birthday, sweet grey boy!

Funder said...

Happy birthday to dein Sohn! (Are we friends enough I can call you du? I am such a forward American!)

I have always wondered, what do the + and * designations mean? And do you say them, like "Sheriffa star"?

EvenSong said...

Baasha,
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
And many more.

Leah Fry said...

Baasha hat Geburstag, komm und singen all mit wunchgegrundheit und vergluck!

I am certain I didn't speel all that right. I'm amazed I remember the little song at all.

juliette said...

Happy Birthday lovely Baasha!

jill said...

Many more happy years to Baasha!
Congrats!

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

Happy Birthday Baasha - and many more!!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to Baasha - here's to many, many more!

Sonya said...

Happy Birthday Baasha!!

Laura said...

He looks amazing for 25 - he's lucky to have such a good owner to take care of him!

Chelsi said...

Happy B-Day Baasha!

lytha said...

thanks you guys.

funder, of course we can say "du" to each other. i'm impressed you know what that is. wait, how on earth do you know?

and funder, i don't know much about the stars and plusses, i do know that sherrifa, his mother, had none, i was just trying to use a footnote, hehhee. but sakr had three. i think vantastyk voyager can help with this.

evsnsong, leah, how awesome that you guys know some german!

you guys are all so nice, i'm so glad i found out about blogging!

~lytha

Funder said...

Lytha - four years of German in college left me with vague memories of about 25 words and 3 grammar rules. I couldn't even remember Geburtstag until EvenSong said it! But I do remember that one does not lightly use du with a real German, especially not if they're older!

Autumn Mist said...

Happy Birthday Baasha from Barnaby and Zak. Glad you had a wonderful day, isn't mummy lovely to bring you such treats?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I always enjoy reading about Baasha. He has an interesting family tree, too.

Happy Birthday Baasha! I'm glad you enjoyed your apple strudel...and before too long you'll be munching fresh apples off your own trees. :)


~Lisa

cdncowgirl said...

Happy Birthday Baasha!! You're right Lytha, he looks fantastic for an "older" horse :)

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

Happy Birthday Baasha!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

allhorsestuff said...

Oh I loved this informational history of such a love of a horse...He has traveled the world(parts) to be with you!
Happy Birthday Gorgeous horseface!!
Wa mare sends her nickers and whinnies too!
KK