Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tolima: The end

Today in church Suzanna told me that Tolima is dead. I was completely shocked, and we both cried. Last I'd heard, she had Tolima bred to a Rocky Mtn horse. But not long ago she broke a leg in the pasture.



I had written a blog entry about her but never posted it. Oddly, I'd named it "The end" even though she was still alive at the time.



The following is a copy/paste from my other blog, where I describe the feeling of giving up on a horse I considered dangerous. A Hessisches Vollblut mare - that is, a Thoroughbred from the Hessen region. My first lengthy experience riding a TB, I rode her 6 months, 3 times per week. My goal was to not worry about my survival as I rode her. JK, kind of.



I kept a journal where I wrote my goals and plans to achieve them, as well as a log entry for each ride, what we accomplished. This is just the end of the story.

Catharsis

It was nothing less than cathartic for me yesterday, as I rode Galim for the first time in the same woods where I would normally ride Tolima.

I officially gave up on Tolima this month. After being away for 6 weeks for my wedding, and seeing that no one rode her out the entire time, I realized it might be "problematic" to take her out into the woods. But as any good animal trainer would do, I gave her the benefit of the doubt and expected her to be a good girl. Leider Gottes, she was totally nuts. As soon as we were headed toward home, she went totally crazy. Airborn. I tried my best, and utterly failed. It was a very black feeling, as she fought me, the acceptance that it's just not gonna work. All my effort would be for naught, if she puts me in the hospital. I knew this was where I was headed. I remember standing next to her as she trembled in anxiety, her brain miles away, I pet her and said "I'm done with you."



It was a really rough telephone call, with Suzanna. She tried to give me alternatives, "Ride her in the arena! She's good at that." I said, "If I were looking for a dressage horse, I'd be happy with that. But that's not my thing. My thing is exploring - my thing is kilometers." (Note the look in Tolima's eye in this photo - you can see she's in her happy place, home.)


So I hooked up with the little Arab again, Galim, Baasha's German distant cousin.

I rode that litle Arab over trail segments where Tolima and I had struggled together the past 6 months. Every time we rode thru a trouble spot, I couldn't help but notice how little trouble I was having with him. In fact, we were racing up a particular trail - a trail I call "hopelessness", and I was beaming with joy as I remembered what riding could be, when you trust a horse, when your horse obeys your directions, and there is an understanding between horse and rider that allows you to become one as you fly over the landscape.

Then came the point where we turned toward home, and Galim came back to a walk with only a shift of my weight. He walked on a loose rein, looking around him at the scenery, enjoying himself, like good trail horses do. I rubberneck a lot too, enjoying springtime in Germany.


Tolima: The middle

Some bloggers have been talking about herd-bound or barn-sour horses lately, and I feel so close to this problem because of Tolima (and Baasha, I admit). (This photo shows her Hessen brand.)



Tolima was a dominant mare, self confident, afraid of nothing. In fact, I'd never ridden such a brave horse - nothing we encountered on the trail made her look. Just the picture in her mind's eye of the barn. And usually in her real eyes, cuz most of the time we didn't go far - I had to keep her stress level down. That is why we did so much walking, and so much feeding and grazing on the trail, and coming home to hard work and being tied. (Which was also dangerous until I put an unbreakable halter/lead on her and tied her to something that she couldn't break. And for me anyway, she quit sitting back.) Take a look at her expression in this photo. Can you see how she's not with me?



Chatting with her former owner one day, she told me I had to be very dominant with Tolima myself, otherwise she'd try to intimidate me. She had to sell her because she ended up in the hospital and Tolima took charge from that day forward. Another girl broke her hand riding Tolima as she spun for home and ran the girl into a tree. (I took this photo the week Suzanna got Tolima - she was thin before beet pulp and unlimited hay.)



My goal for her was to simply get her to relax and enjoy herself away from the barn. When it wasn't working, I asked others to go out with me. It was easy finding someone to ride with, and I was clear that we would only be walking (Suzanna did all the galloping with her). The oddest thing for me, in comparison to Baasha, was Tolima did not care about the buddy being there. In fact, she'd try to get around/over him to just get home faster. If we both stopped, Tolima would try to leave him, in fact. Amazing, she doesn't care about friends, just home! So what is the answer?

Suzanna told me that it helped to ride her out in large groups in organized trail rides. The monotonous pace, and trailering out, really helped her settle. I agreed that going out regularly in large groups would be the way to fix her, but I was not willing to always ask for help, and I was not gonna be paying (100 Euros per month) for the privilege of fixing Tolima. I kept imagining the Harborview helicopter coming for me.

Looking back, we had some really splendid rides in the arena. She was a talented dressage horse, and had lots of Schwung. I hate to say "had" about her, how sad.

But at the time I just couldn't have fun riding indoors only.

What I learned

All horses are our teachers, and I sure did learn a lot from Tolima. I learned I can ride TBs, they're not too much more difficult than Arabs.


Horses can be brave. She was the only horse I've ridden that had zero spook. What a great feeling and unique trait! What a great jumper she would have been! She was really the perfect horse for Suzanna, because that lady has no fear. She did so many crazy things with that mare, and broke so much tack, and ended up hurt, but it didn't matter, she loves speed. (BTW, I edited the lead rope out of some of these photos--she isn't loose.)

Now I know what you're thinking. No wonder I couldn't help her, she was not able to separate her two riders' styles.



Some horses would rather canter circles with tack foaming up their coat, than go out and graze 100 meters from the barn. Unbelievable. But it was almost as though she was trying to teach me something: Just let me stay home and I'll be good.

What Suzanna said

"Lytha, you were right. All those times you said she was miserable out on the trails, she was. I got a professional trainer to come in and help me (Oh, how I wish I knew what event/accident inspired that decision!). The trainer said, 'If I were you, I'd never take that mare out on the trails. She hates them. She is happy at home. Just let her stay home.'"

Well, I never told Suzanna to give up on trails. I just said when I quit, "I'm afraid. She hates it out there and I'm gonna get hurt."

She said, "In the last few months, I gave up and only rode her in the arenas, and she was so much happier. I can console myself with the thought she was happy in the end."

Had I stayed, I wonder if I would have come to that decision too. It's possible that some horses are impossible to fix, I suppose.

Farewell Tolima. If heaven has barns I'll know where to find you.

Healing Standardbreds

Suzanna was anxious to say she's recovering through the help of her new horse, Fuchua's baby. What!!!?? Fuchua (pronounced Foo'-hoo-ah) was a Standardbred mare that I tested out and Suzanna loved her. She was bred to another Standardbred 3 years ago, when I was riding Tolima. The owner's heart went out to Suzanna and she sold her the baby! On the cell phone I saw the photos, a jet black younger version of Fuchua, who was really really pretty for a Standie!

I asked, "So, purebred Standardbred?" and she replied, "Well, the parents never raced, but yah, purebred." Cool. She told me she takes the bus there every day to visit/train her baby, whose name is Vollallein (pronounced Foal'-a-line) which means "totally alone" in German. Interesting name. I'm happy she has this baby to help her heal.

12 comments:

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

wow, i know exactly what you went through, I had my own Catharsis (and same blog entry!) with Kazam in April...
I had to give up on him because I couldn't fix him. (He broke my rib once, though I still say that was my fault.) I loved the horse (and so did his brother Jose) but - I had to give up. I still feel guilty about it. He didn't die but went to a cowboy down the road but that's all I know. I don't want to know what happened to him because I still feel terribly guilty giving up...
- The Equestrian Vagabond

lytha said...

Merri, Please tell us what you did and your theories about what could have/did help him!! I hate the feeling of giving up but we have to think of safety first with horses, and let the unbreakable people try. (?)

lytha said...

Merri, OOPS! Reading your blog now....

Anonymous said...

Some horses, I think, aren't meant to go on the trails. Dawn actually likes the trail, but I don't take her there because she's got moves that I probably couldn't stay on for, although my daughter can and when she's home they go for miles - lots of galloping. Pie likes the trail and isn't spooky - for him wanting to go back to the barn right now is a transitional thing I think. Lily hated the trail and loved the jumper ring. Noble would go on the trail if I asked, but really preferred the ring.

You, and Merri too, were right to quit trying to fix the problems these horses had - this sort of behavior can be incredibly dangerous and is sometimes fixable and sometimes not.

Funder said...

Wow, I'd never read about Tolima. Sounds like she taught you so many lessons! I'm glad you realize she wasn't suited for what you wanted to do before she hurt you. Very sorry to hear she's gone.

jill said...

I guess I don't like people thinkin they "gave up" on a horse. If you did your best, with good intentions and tried to "be there" for the horse and give him, a fair deal consistantly, that's all you can do. There is no shame or guilt in that.
Some horses just can't reciporcate the same. It's sad, but true. Same thing for some people relationships.
I admire your "try" with Tolima.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of T.

Our barn owner, who is a trainer, recently realized that the horse she was working with was really a bad match for her. Something about her energy was too much for that horse and he's gone back to a different trainer for work. And there he does fine.


Having given up on two - both with happy endings, thank goodness - I've finally found a horse that stretches me, but doesn't break me.

Frankly I wasn't the right rider to handle those horses, just as our trainer wasn't the right rider for the Andalusian. And now each horse is happier with riders who "get" them. Which is the point, right?

AareneX said...

I think, as a rider, it's a huge step to be able to recognize when it's time to step back and stop .

I've been there. I gave the Toad back to his owner after 8 years of riding him. I finally realized that riding my glow-in-the-dark-green mare was safer than riding my companion of 2,000 miles, because even after all that time, Toad was still a tricksy, freaky horse. I loved him, but I didn't want to ride him any more. I realized that I wasn't ever going to be able to make him safer. And for me, finally, it was time to stop.

I'm sorry for Tolima, but I must say how delighted I am to hear that Fuchua is doing well, and that she is performing that special magic that Standardbreds can do so well!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That's a truly sad story with a tragic ending but maybe it's all for the best. She sounds like she would have made an impressive jumper, just like you said. Such a shame, it didn't end up differently.

Autumn Mist said...

It's so difficult. I sold my horse Max this year, as you may know, having owned him for six years, but when he bolted with me last year I lost my 'link' with him. I was always wondering when he would do it again. Unfortunately I never got the trust back, but I am glad at the way it's worked out, because now I have the horse of my dreams. You only get one life...

juliette said...

Oh Lytha, I am so sorry about Tolima. I must have seen her gorgeous head a dozen times on my Blogger reading list, but I saw "the end" and about you crying in church so I couldn't read it. I am sorry. I did read it now. It sounds to me like you did what you could with her - I love the line when you said that she is just saying "let me stay home and I'll be good". Poor sweetie and poor you for having such scary rides. I love how you say that your thing is exploring, your thing is kilometers. That is my thing too - although not nearly as far as you!!! But my thing is exploring in little bits each day. I am terribly sorry for your loss and I do think Tolima and Found in the Fog have similar heads - I too love black horses with grey and brown ears! I put this response on my blog too in case it doesn't save here.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Your post touched my heart because it reminded me of my relationship with my first horse, Baby Doll, whom I still can get weepy eyed thinking about.
As a beginner rider she was way more than I could handle, though I tried and tried. I figured it was just my fault when she would spin 360, bolt for the barn, or run backwards. I started thinking I was invincible each time I was able to stay on when she lost her mind with barn sourness.
But spooking sideways 8 ft was the one thing I wasn't able to sit. In hindsight I should have given up on her much sooner, but I loved her.
Much like you must have loved Tolima. She sure was a beautiful mare, too.


(((hugs)))
~Lisa