Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bravery

I went to my first jumping competition today to watch people risk their lives flying their horses over a course of obstacles. I am convinced this type of riding is not up my alley. But seeing it up close was thrilling.




My next door neighbor invited me to come along to watch her compete, and happily she did not consider me her "crew" or "staff" at all today - she only had me 1.) Hold her jacket while she warmed up and 2.) Hold her horse while she walked the course. (I think it's kind of funny the way all the riders walk the course together. Can you tell I've never been around show jumping before?)

First she took me to her stable to meet her horses - a Rheinisch filly and the Oldenberg, Louis, that she rode today.

He's enormous. I can't say whether he's enormous for an Oldenberg - they could all be that size - but his back towered above our heads. I've never seen a horse built uphill like that, just standing still even.





We pulled him off the pasture at about 8:30 AM and her first class was at 10:15. This was nothing like my showing days, where I was at the barn at 6:00, and there was a hotel involved cuz it was so far away.

I was enchanted by her barn - it was like walking into a castle. No kidding, I've been to a fair number of castles now, so I can say that honestly.












An ivy-draped stone building with little glass windows for each stall.







I watched as she got him ready. He wouldn't eat the grain she gave him because he knew there was a horseshow coming soon and he was too nervous. She put some silage in front of him and I used this opportunity to ask my sister's question - Why do you feed it? What's the benefit of it? She answered it is higher in nutrient content because it spends less time drying in the sun. Secondly, because it's dust free. Third and fourth were just convenience factors so they don't really count from the horse's perspective. She told me to smell it, "See, it doesn't have to stink!" and I said, "It just smells strange." (Just like fresh cabbage and sauerkraut smell different.)

We put him in the trailer and drove 15 minutes to the showgrounds. I was amazed at the sheer number of tiny european trailers, all pulled by cars.













I am still not used to this sight!












White breeches everywhere! And the shiniest horses, most of them the giants of the horseworld.

I saw some new brands. This is the breed of horse from our region of Germany - hence the W.












An Oldenberg brand.












I had just bought a cup of coffee and pulled out my camera when it was her turn.












I tried to get good pics, but I just have a "saddle bag camera" and sadly the pics are not crisp.











Most of my shots are "take off" or "landing" shots. *sigh*












Oh well, it shows some of the thrill of her ride. She rides one of the more thoughtful horses, you know the ones who seem to go in slow motion between jumps, because they're thinking, and not rushing frantically?












I noticed so many riders' faces wore expressions of terror or agony today, and was happy to see my neighbor lady did not grimace during her ride.












She rode the course in 65 seconds and had a few faults (I didn't notice any but I was taking too many pics to notice). She was beaming at the end of her ride, reaching down and scratching Louis on the neck and saying "GOOD BOY!" and just glowing. Yah, it looked cadenced and relaxed, just like the good ones I've seen on TV.


I was impressed that my neighbor could tell me when a horse would refuse a jump, even as it was cantering toward it full speed. Amazing. Next time I hope to see the dressage bit, cuz I at least have a clue there.

I came home and washed exactly half of my horse, and then asked my man to come out and see if he can tell which half. When he couldn't, I sighed, "Waste of shampoo" : ) My horse is small and scruffy in comparison to those gleaming giants. I love every hair on his body and hate the smell of shampoo when I kiss him. He hates jumping. Even if he would have had a talent for it, the sight of those colorful, decorated jumps - he's to spooky for that world. And after what I saw today, I know that jumping is for the brave, and that's not me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My older daughter used to do jumpers on her mare - it was exciting and the mare would jump anything, despite her nervous disposition. Your friend's horse is beautiful and clearly a talented jumper - nice that you got to go along to watch!

Unknown said...

I'm not for jumping. My horse jumps sideways enough for me.

:)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

So, what's the deal with the European trailers being towed by cars? Is it that the cars are overpowered or the trailers are extra light? They look very streamlined.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

LOL! I can't help it, Lytha...but I am laughing hard over here. For to me, you seem very brave. The trails you ride with your handsome horse and the journeys you've taken together through downtown, across the ocean, and over hill and over dale.....all seem worlds braver than most people, even jumpers could ever do.

You, my friend ARE brave!

~Lisa

word verification: lithua
(Your twin perhaps?)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

ps....what does the 'W' stand for?

My husband's family comes from Westphalia.

~Lisa

AareneX said...

Jumping is FUN!

But I am a CHICKEN!

And my horse doesn't see the point.

"Perfectly good path around that thing. You wanna go over? Cuz why? You can make me? Really? Wanna prove it?"

Sigh. Her legs are so dang long that she just trots over most of the "jumps" on the trails anyhow.

Show jumping: another career path that is not for me. As if the white breeches weren't a dead giveaway....

lytha said...

Kate - the good ones really enjoy it and are a pleasure to watch. The rushy ones worried me. I feel so lucky that I got to watch.

Breathe - Sometimes I think I should take jumping lessons just so I can handle the fallen logs better but then I think "Ugh, all that strength training" and also, there are no fallen logs in Germany.

NM - The trailers are extra light. I look at them and think, "Where do you put a weekend's worth of hay and water? Where do you sleep?"

Here the trailers are just for transport, not recreation.

My truck and trailer were my home away from home during ride season, and I miss that so much. However, there are no horse campgrounds here. So even if they used trucks and trailers big enough to hold a bale of hay, they wouldn't have anywhere to go! (When I went to a couple endurance rides here, the riders mostly stayed in hotels and ridecamp was always at a stable so the horses could sleep in stalls.)

The way I comfort myself from the loss of my horse camping weekends - I realized the best part for me was simply being with my horse all the time, all day and all night. Now I have that - but I'm not sleeping in my truck, I'm home.

Lisa - The W is for Westfalen, or Westphalia. That's our state! I had a W on my license plate back home, and I have a big W on my German plate now: )

Thanks for the compliment, perhaps I could be considered brave in some aspects, but I'm not a brave rider, because I jump off a horse so fast when I feel that I'm in danger. I even use emergency dismounts on my own, very old horse, when he seems about to explode. OTOH, I can jump back on my horse in record speed when I see a mother bear with two babies!

A brave rider wouldn't have let that TB mare kick her butt last year - I haven't told that story yet cuz I'm ashamed I had to call it quits on a horse I never felt safe on/around. My logical brain says, "You're alive today because you quit that mare." and my other brain says, "Coward."

Aarene - Are we pushovers? Cuz it can't just be our horses that say "It's easier to go around." At some point the white pants riders convince the horse going over is better. I wonder how they do it.

hainshome said...

NO. You were so brave to stick with that insane mare for as long as you did. I am SO GLAD you are not risking your life on that horse... it made me so mad to read about all the heart and soul you put into her training, and it wasn't making much of a difference... because she was INSANE! Grrr. Sorry- it makes me want to go off like this because you feel like a coward...!!? Holy crap- you were being SMART. She was not worth it.
-your sister

Chelsi said...

What a cool post! It is crazy how small the cars are hauling those huge horses!! I have seen a fair number of those "europian" style trailers lately here, they are becoming more popular.

That barn had me drooling...seriously like a castle!! And the horses just fit right in looking all royal!

Jumping is not for me either but I used to love it when I was younger.

White Horse Pilgrim said...

It's difficult to photograph horses jumping. You did succeed in getting a number of nice shots - a very good result with a small camera that doesn't take the picture instantly.

Most people in Britain also tow small trailers with cars. Only the really serious (or well off) riders have lorries. My two-horse trailer has a maximum weight of 2,000 kg (4,400lbs) and my 2.8 litre diesel car pulls it very easily. When fuel is so expensive ($8 a gallon or thereabouts), there is something to be said for a more economical car for regular driving.

Pick-ups are quite rare here, except for workmen who need these vehicles for their employment. One family that boards some horses at the barn has an L200 (a bit like an F150) but sometimes they have to park away from the barn and walk in because their truck is too big to get into the car park at busy times. (I can imagine American readers laughing at this!) I had one of these for a while, it was a horror to park in the European-sized spaces and I sold it as soon as I could.

But I do like the look of that nice stone-clad house and stable. Lytha, clearly you have landed on your feet and moved to a very salubrious area.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Aaahhhah! Westfalen/Westphalia. My married last name is Westfall (Like Stacy Westfall. Sure wish I was related, at least in the horse sense. hehe!)

My husband is wanting to go back and visit Germany again someday. You may end up finding us on your doorstep....carrots in hand. :)

Oh! And you must tell more about this TB mare and your experience. She must have been quite a handful for you to move on.

~Lisa

lytha said...

Hainshome - you thought I was brave? That helps. I felt the opposite. The mare's owner is a whole 'nother level of "daring" and really enjoys that kind of danger. I wish she knew how hard I tried. But you're right - like some people, some horses are just not worth it.

Adventures - I wish you could see the house/barn buildings. It's so cool - the house and the barn are one building! It's really common here - I guess because it gets so cold in Winter, people don't want to have to go outside to feed their horses. (??) I'm not even sure that's legal in America. I really had hoped we'd get one of those home/barn combos, but oh well.

Lisa, I'm dreading telling the story but I really must - it was a big part of my life when I first came to Germany and my horse wasn't here yet. I leased a horse that has a habit of putting people in the hospital, and got away without a emergency room visit by simply giving up one day.

You want to visit? Please do, we're not far from the grand city of Cologne (Koeln). But I really want to see New Mexico now, and honestly it had never crossed my mind as a travel destination until I started reading 3 blogs from that state.

Sonya said...

I laugh everytime I see a regular car pulling a trailer!!! seriously they take the fun out everything here. I miss our SUV..lol