Thursday, May 28, 2009

Aufwaendinge Bergung

"Intricate Rescue" says the paper about our accident. When I saw the picture I was a little sick to my stomach. Then again, the picture doesn't show any of the horrible details, it actually makes it look like a peaceful situation.

You can see I'm holding onto one of the sharp branches that the firemen later cut. My jacket is on Baasha's chest. The article talks about how I'm new to the area, and describes the bridge as rotten, 50cm high. It describes how I found the house and the man helped me. How it was an "impassable" area that the firemen had to carry their tools to on foot (I guess normally people are nice enough to have their accidents in convenient areas, hehe.) It describes the tools they used, why they didn't want to use the chainsaw. They say "Since we had to do everything by hand, it took over an hour to cut the horse free." They say my horse was relatively calm, probably due to shock.

And the end says I have a guardian angel, for if I'd ridden across, I would have been trapped too. Funny after my ponderings about bravery and cowardice - would a braver rider have ridden across? I am just in the habit of jumping off anytime a situation looks tricky, and I hardly ever ride across bridges I'm not sure about. I'll probably not ride over the ones I am sure about either! (Article in German here.)

Since this is Germany, we have a few safeties in place for whatever comes next. Every horse must have liability insurance, because the Germans know how accident-prone horses are. So if the city decides that it's up to me to pay for the bridge, my insurance will cover it. Likewise, when I get the vet bill, I may not even have to pay it because the city should maintain its bridges. This was not a horses prohibited trail. I was very law abiding that day. My man was on the phone right away with our insurance agent to file the report.

My tack. Omygoodness my tack. I finally got around to inspecting it, checking my saddle for damage, etc, and I found that one of the spikey branches had impaled my breastcollar! Check that out! Then I noticed my EZ ride stirrup cage was crushed. It made me so glad I always buy the plastic ones and not the aluminum. Those metal ones are so painful to run into, much less lie on for 2 hours.

Baasha is getting spoiled, don't worry. I bought two more bags of carrots today because we are going thru them fast. It's been raining so he's been hiding in his stall, pooping, peeing, and making a total mess in there. He even had the absurd idea to lay down in there and get green spots all over him. It's hard to get mad at him for that though, after being so thankful to God to have him alive! And since I'm not making him do anything he doesn't want lately, I am not going to make him endure a bath. So his green spots stay.

I got a picture of his banged up front leg, but it was hard cuz he kept trying to shake hands. My man has him shaking hands all the time now, he just clicks with his tongue and hands over the carrot. He does it from outside the stall even, and makes Baasha shake with both front legs.








I'm not giving up on my plan to ride around the watershed, I just really need the GPS and a cell phone from now on: )












I know, I said that last time but this time I'm serious.











These are all pics from that day before the accident, and it's trippy for me to see what could have been the last ride.









Oh, he looks so clean and unblemished as we started out. When we started out, it was sunny. I saw dark clouds in the distance and thought, "Man am I glad I brought this jacket! I almost didn't!"













Little video of taking a moment to look at the water. If you would like to watch it, you might want to turn down the volume cuz the wind was very loud.






Definitely turn down the volume - the wind was really amazing that day! Kind of a boring video of just walking through wind. I'll try to do more interesting things on video in the future: )


Thanks for your remarks upon reading about our near-tragedy, I couldn't even proofread that entry without crying and it made me cry again that it touched you guys. I have to repeat what one commenter wrote - "It's amazing what horses can survive, and what little things can kill them." Indeed. Sometimes horses have the sense to just wait and let us help them. I honestly didn't know if Baasha had that sense.

Like my mom said, "Praise God all creatures down below."

Now to get this thank you package to the nice man who helped me....and next week I'll make another one for the firechief.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just so glad that Baasha and you are both OK, and getting over your accident - you are very fortunate to have such a brave and intelligent horse!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

My daughter was just teaching me that "pferd" means "horse" in German, so I can read that much. She had three years of German in high school. Most American schools only offer Spanish or French for their foreign languages, so she was fortunate to get that part of her education. I can't believe a reporter showed up to cover the story. It sounds like you were in the middle of the woods. Give Baasha a big hug from me.

Das Ees said...

it wasn't a reporter - it was a photo of the police.

AareneX said...

I'm still just thankful that y'all are okay. More carrots, Baasha, have more carrots.

Lytha, you deserve a carrot or two yourself, for keeping your head together and running for help--and having such a good relationship with your horse that he TRUSTED you to help him. It was not just luck that nobody was injured. Have a carrot, Lytha. >g<

I moved all my gear from the boarding barn to home last weekend in prep for moving horses next weekend, and thought of you:

"If I were moving to Germany like Lytha, I'd need a SECOND 747 to haul the saddles and winter blankets...!"

Melanie said...

I think it is so cool that Baasha trusted you to help him. He is your true horsey soul mate. :)

That piece of wood that is in your breast collar is huge! I am so thankful that you and Baasha didn't end up getting pierced by those things.

So...how was your birthday???

ChicagoGrrrl said...

that was a nightmare. holy crap. who makes your bridle and breastcollar? they look great and i am looking to buy new gear. glad you are ok and it is kind of cool that in germany they really helped you guys and it made the news. some places rescue might be much more non-interested, slower, less prepared.

Lulu said...

How eerie to see the article and picture!!! My goodness....

lytha said...

Kate, thank you, and I don't think he's very smart, but he's trusting and that is sometimes better: )

NM - I had a heck of a time finding a German class in the metropolitan area of Seattle! Everyone had French and Spanish. I'll definitely hug him for you! BTW, I totally think he looks just like your Bombay in that one pic with his forelock blowing back. OK, Bombay has a nicer neck, but still: )

Das Ees - I thank you so much for the call - it meant the world to me.

Aarene - I'll treat myself somehow without carrots cuz right now they're all designated. You know? Thank you for that - in my vain heart I hope he was trusting me.

I had to give up so many of my nice things, my HOTR bucket, for instance. But I'll accumulate more: ) I bought fencing supplies today! Woo!

Melanie, If I were in Seattle, I'd be having a big old seedless watermelon for my birthday. That's the tradition. But sadly there are none here. So we went out to a nice local restaurant on grandma night and I picked up some really old fashioned german sayings.

I wish my horsey soul mate enjoyed grooming more. Oh well. But, today I discovered that when he's itchy, a very soft horsehair brush feels good. Good to know!

Amy - My bridle, breastcollar and crupper are made by the Zilco firm. I kind of like the Sportack biothane material better than the Zilco, because it's softer. Take a look at both the Zilco and Sportack websites.

Lulu - YOU SAID IT! That's the word I was looking for: EERIE. Thank you!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh man! My heart was so tight when you wrote about how trippy you felt looking at those pictures as if they could have been your last ride with your handsome Baasha. *sob*
That newspaper photo of hime is heartwrenching to see. He looks dead. Oh how awful for you, Lytha!
And what a nasty wound poor Baasha has on his leg. I hope he heals quickly without any infection or scarring.
I'm just so relieved that the both of you survived this ordeal. I can't even explain fully.

(((((HUGS and Carrots)))))
for both you and Baasha!
~Lisa

Unknown said...

That's an awful picture. My husband said the same thing - it's good you weren't on Baasha or you both could have been trapped. Or worse.

I had to head out to the barn and hug my horse after reading your story. So to Baasha from Canyon:

"Thanks for the extra carrots, man!"

Heal up, inside and out. Looking forward to much less dramatic blog entries in the near future.

cdncowgirl said...

I thought the same thing ('good thing she was leading him instead of riding')

Sonya said...

Oh wow I am so so so glad Baasha and you are ok! what a very scarey situation that was.

sahara4d said...

Wow! That last post was hard to read! This one wasn't as bad...just the after story. Glad that everything worked out OK but man, what an ordeal to go through. Sounds like you had some great guys that came to help.

I'm heading out to Elbe for a CMO this weekend. No horse to ride as my 3 year old isn't ready yet. Just going to camp and hang out.

I'll raise a glass to you, Baasha and your Man.

photogchic said...

Man..this is crazy. I can't believe you guys are ok. That picture...oh my gosh! What a horrific ordeal to go thru. So happy to hear it is minor cuts and scraps. Big hugs to both of you...so happy with the outcome.

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

Lytha, I am so glad you and Baasha are both ok! I was terrified just reading your post about the accident. That piece of wood in the breastcollar is just . . . scary!

allhorsestuff said...

Yea..I am the first one on the ground when things look or get to be dicely!
Had an emergency dismount this weekend that I will post on soon.

That picture made my tummy tun up inside Lytha...Bassha was great..be it shock or horse sense, he was awesome!
I have the metal easy ride stirrups...but my lands are bridgeless..they are "you make your own ways through the waters!"

Again, whew!I do like the song well your mum mentioned...Praise God from whom all belssings flow!
Your Angels were ahead of you this day ...
I am happy to hear up your undampered desire to ride the entire rounte around that gorgeous lake.
My plans are to make it to "Goat mountain"..a place endurance folk ride alot I guess...am maping it now.
Kac
Be well and be with Cell!

Horseypants said...

I just checked in on your blog and saw that newspaper clipping. My heart was in my throat. I am so glad that you are both ok.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I'm so glad Baasha is going to be okay! That was such an awful accident!!

BTW- Happy belated Birthday!

Maybe the vets lean on the horses because a lot of horses need the assurance and reminder of someone beside them so they don't kick out.

I'll lean on my horse so that they know I'm behind them.

Dom said...

It's amazing what they say in newspaper articles sometimes. Mine was blown way out of proportion. Glad you and your horse weren't hurt worse. That photo made my stomach turn. Poor Baasha. Poor you! Thanks for sharing.